Explain That?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Hollo_Marx, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

No, it's never stated how long the trip took. We need to make a flow chart for this question.

How long did they go into stasis in Krysis?
    1. Only a few weeks or months, maybe a year or two tops
    2. A normal stasis time of at least a few decades

1. Then why did they go into stasis given the trip was so short?
    2. Then Kochanski is dead or elderly now unless she's in stasis too, why would Lister do that?

Frankly I think any stasis-trip is dangerous from Lister's point of view. What if they bump into Kochanski while they're in stasis. Some people would say it would have been better to use the Time-Drive.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

LEGION: Mr. Rimmer, in a hard-light body, you can do anything a human can do, with the added bonus that you are practically indestructible.
    RIMMER: I can't be hurt!?
    LEGION: Your pleasure and pain responses remain the same, but you cannot come to harm.

Legion - the inventor of hard-light - said hard-light holograms cannot come to harm. Why then did Howard Rimmer die after being shot.

FeeBeeBells likes this.
  3. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

4. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

Oh look, there's Ant E deciding that if he isn't interested in a topic, then no one is. Again.

5. "Christmas rubbish"

[​IMG]

6. "Christmas rubbish"

I’m not interested. Does that help clarify my position on the matter?! :sulk:

7. "Christmas rubbish"

Because he was shot in the lightbee

8. Wenceslas

Wenceslas Deck Sergeant

Emohawk - Polymorph II
    KRYTEN: But sir, how did you know it wouldn't damage your hard light drive?

Hard light drive can be harm, but it is very difficult to do it I think this is what Legion means by "practicaly indestructible".

9. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Howard had a vastly inferior hard-light drive, as did Ace Rimmer, they never met Legion to get the market leading one that old Iron Balls has.

10. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

I also found it odd that Rimmer dodged Hudzen so eagerly when he was a soft light hologram. The light bee technology hadn't been established at that point, so as far as we knew, he was projected by the vessel itself.

FeeBeeBells likes this.
  11. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Yes, one could interpret it to mean that the original light bee as created by Legion was far tougher than the one used by Ace from a parallel dimension and Rimmer's brother, and possibly the current Rimmer himself (depending on which Rimmer this is).

Alternatively, maybe that light bee is just as susceptible to damage, but since it's a small object inside the hologram it's not that easy to hit*, so the the hologram is still far more difficult to kill than a normal person. This does raise the question as to why the Rimmer clones on Rimmerworld were unable to damage Rimmer's hard-light drive, but maybe it takes more than a couple of smacks with a rock, or it just shows how incompetent they are. Or that one was just much tougher, as stated in the top paragraph.

*Although it shouldn't be that difficult with a central body shot with a massive bazookoid bolt.

12. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

I'm just going with Rimmer is "practically indestructible" in a fist fight type situation (no internal injuries, etc.), but use a gun or bazookoid, and his light bee can be destroyed. Kryten once, in Emohawk, asked Rimmer how he knew a grenade blast wouldn't hurt his hard-light drive, which he didn't. Plus, I'm sure stronger weapons have been developed in the time since Legion's creation of the hard-light drive.

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I forgot about the grenade! That should certainly have destroyed it if the light bee is not indestructible, perhaps suggesting this is a stronger version of the light bee.

Alternatively, you'd think a polymorph turning itself into a grenade and blowing up would destroy itself in the process.* Of course if it was just a simulated less powerful effect that would also explain Rimmer's survival.

It should be noted, that aside from a sequence in Back to Earth (which turned out to be a plan within a dream), our Rimmer's light bee has never been damaged, so he could be just as invulnerable as he has ever been, since the upgrade. The last episode doesn't really contradict this, since we know he can feel pain. The fact that, as a near invulnerable immortal he is still a coward, shows just how cowardly he actually is!

The other hard-light holograms we have encountered could be based on mass produced light bees created later. I'd imagine Legion's version would be rather expensive to sell! Rimmer lucked into the real McCoy freebie from the inventor himself, and since Legion was planning on keeping the Dwarfers with him, he didn't mind the free handout as it benefited himself (so he thought). The longer Rimmer lives, so does he, after all.

* Although one would say there that it didn't just take on the form of the grenade but the explosion as well, rather changing form from one thing to another rather than destroying itself.

FeeBeeBells and RainbowGazelle like this.
  14. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Explain this:
    Regarding mechs, how does the manufacturing logic work? Because every mech looks slightly different. Logically wouldn't they all look the same? The Series 4000 mechs are all based on John Warburton, but we've never seen another one that looks like John Warburton. We've never seen one that looks like another. It looks like every mech is bespoke, which is pointless and surely not economically viable.

15. HO HO HO I'M JMC

HO HO HO I'M JMC Deck Sergeant

My personal take on it: the explanation that "she decided to create a droid in his image" is more figurative than literal. The 4000 Series is described as "ridiculous-looking", but I'm not sure the face is meant to physically resemble his. If nothing else, you'd open yourself up to a lawsuit.

I think it's more likely that the 4000 Series was a modular line, like - oh, just picking a random example here - the Brompton folding bicycle, say.

By the time you pick your colour or colours, saddle, handlebars, and various yes/no options, you can make a diverse-looking range of essentially the same bike. By the same token, when you buy a 4000 Series, perhaps you choose from a range of eyes, nose, mouth, etc.. You would only need a small number of options for each to create a huge number of possible faces. In that case, maybe the defaults were based on John Warburton, but the market demanded the ability to customise the hardware, and more options (personality, accent, etc.) on getting the mechanoid home.

To give another example, the designer of the latest smartphone might say, "I was inspired by blah and wanted to make the OS feel like that." But when customers choose their own wallpapers, customise the colours, fiddle with the sounds, install their own apps with their own different icons, etc., they're going to end up with an awful lot of different-looking phones.

If we want to imagine that Kryten literally resembles John Warburton, we have to say it's the David Ross version, rather than the rebuilt one played by Robert Llewellyn. Alternatively, we might choose (as "fanon") to accept the limitations of the TV format, and imagine that the two Krytens are meant to look the same in-universe - the same way two Kochanskis do. If we take that as a starting point, we're free to imagine that all 4000 Series mechanoids have the same face in-universe, and only look different to us because they're played by different actors.

FeeBeeBells likes this.
  16. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I thought the Ross-Llewellyn differences were explained by Lister rebuilding him off-screen between II and III.

17. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Able looked the same as Kryten, just ravaged by Ultra-zone.

18. HO HO HO I'M JMC

HO HO HO I'M JMC Deck Sergeant

That's a fair fan-theory, but the opening text on Backwards only refers to the fact that Lister wasn't able to restore his previous personality (if I remember correctly).

19. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Speaking of Ace Rimmer, I always think it's weird that Ace's spaceship can jump 3 Million years into the future to meet his dead hologram self. This means Ace basically has a time machine as well as a dimension shifter that can sniff out even a hologram of a version of himself across the dimensions, millions of years away. How does his ship know to do that?

If he was just jumping through dimensions he'd materialise at Red Dwarf a few years after the accident, since that's his real timeline, finding an irradiated spaceship, unable to board it, realise he's dead, and leave for the next dimension. Or he would just skip this universe entirely since technically Arnold Rimmer no longer exists in this universe so he shouldn't even bother with this one.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    BadOleSantabot and Yule Sleigher like this.
  20. Pinny

Pinny Third Technician

How come the Mechs in Siliconia have ingredients on board to make sugar puff sandwiches, not to mention flouncy pirate shirts? They don't eat and they don't wear clothes.
    I guess they've beamed them up from Red Dwarf somehow.