Explain That?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Hollo_Marx, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I think the inconsistencies like this in red dwarf are best left to the interpretation of each individual viewer. This is why i think they opted to leave the cliffhanger of series 8 open to viewers. In some ways it can compliment a persons creative intellect in that way.

2. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I'm rather more cynical in that regard. I believe that Doug either doesn't trust himself to be able to write his way out of the Series VIII cliffhanger and/or felt that there would be a loudly vocal portion of the fanbase that would be unhappy with whatever explanation he came up with so chose the easier option of just not bothering. To try and balance things a bit here, IMO it's not an especially easy task to tie up all the loose ends left at the end of Series VIII without almost equally lazy throw-away lines.

Perhaps I am being a bit unfair there, but I am one of those who would like to see an official resolution of the cliffhanger, even if I accept that it's not likely to happen. Until then, I'll content myself with the deleted alternate ending (Then again, I also tend to go with the far better ending to Out of Time instead of the inferior official resolution we got in Tikka to Ride).

3. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Many thanks to our Germany correspondant ;-)

I knew of that quote and that it was a type of food, but now I know it's a doughnut :-D

Any other German towns or cities which are food? (If it's not too far OT for majority taste...)

4. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

There is Dortmunder beer after the town of Dortmund, to be honest apart from that I can't think of any others off hand.

5. Diet_coke

I do believe there was going to be an answer to the cliffhanger of series 8. However it was the former leader of this forum, Andrew who suggested that there doesn't need to be an answer.. I'm quite sure this is the case. I'm fully happy with the idea of no resolution.

6. Diet_coke

I also do think throughout the series there are plenty of inconsistent storylines, from one series to another. However that's red dwarf. It's not star trek. The appeal of red dwarf is that it doesn't take itself too seriously

7. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Me too.

8. Hollo_Marx

Hollo_Marx Catering Officer

I quite agree.

9. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Explain this....

In "the Impossible Astronaut", River Song shoots the doctor and he starts to regenerate (I'm what would be his thirteenth)! She then shoots him again and he dies....

In "Night of the Doctor", which takes place waaaay after "The Impossible Astronaut", he claims he has used up all his regenerations. How come he started to regenerate when river shot him? Makes no sense...

10. Diet_coke

Never seen doctor who

11. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Never seen it?

Well, you haven't missed much!

David Tennant did a few great episodes, but other than that I don't rate any Dr Who's that good at all.

12. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

My take on this is obviously a bit different. For me, when I get into a series (be it book, TV, film, etc) I do so because I enjoy the writer's and actor's take on it. That means that I want to see how they imagine things work out and that does mean to a degree when I've invested time and money (to a certain extent) on something I feel to a degree a bit short changed when we're left with a massive hole in the storyline. If I was happy with just figuring out an explanation myself or letting the fanbase do the writer's job for them, then I'd either delve into the murky world of fanfic, but that's not something that interests me or if I wanted to do the work myself or felt myself competent to do so, then I'd write something myself. I can provide my own explanation for most things within reason, as I hope this thread has shown though.

I'm not going to be so arrogant as to say I think Doug owes me an explanation, but I'm disappointed that there hasn't been one. I can accept that we're not likely to get a resolution, but to me that does seem like a bit of a cop-out, and from what Harry's said the cynic in me can't help wondering if a degree of office politics may have been involved there, it's always more diplomatic to tell the boss that their idea doean't need to happen rather than tell them their idea sucks. Part of my thinking here is that the official ending the Out of Time and Only the Good are IMO distinctly inferior to the deleted ones.

That's not to say that I don't understand and can't accept that Red Dwarf has contradictions, inconsistencies and plot-holes. I accept that, I'm more than willing to write stuff off as "We made a mistake. Okay?!?" or just that the writers changed the backstory a bit (For example how Lister and Kochanski's relationship changes between Series II and DNA), but I'd rather acknowledge an obvious mistake, gap in logic or change as such instead of having to invent very convoluted reasoning for it(Which is why I have an issue with the Hitler picture in Timeslides for instance, it remains a plot error/hole IMO and I'm fine with that as a relatively insignificant error in the grand scheme of things, but I remain completely unconvinced by somewhat contradictory arguments to the contrary).

13. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

In Future Echoes when Lister and Rimmer are talking about death not being the handicap it used to be, Rimmer says to Lister, "Bull pats! When was the last time you saw a dead newsreader?"

To which Lister replies, "Channel 27 have a hologram reading the news."

And then - and this is the bit I've never understood - Rimmer says, "Oh, groovy, funky Channel 27. Big smegging deal. You livvies hate us deadies." while doing this strange jiggly dance. What's the jiggly dance all about?

Don't know what's going on with the ratio here, but this is the bit if anyone's struggling to remember it.

http://youtu.be/-u6Cdxc6HuE?t=7m55s

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I just always took it for granted that it was supposed to be something to do with Groovy, Funky Channel 27.

15. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Well, yes, but without being privy to the contents of Channel 27 it makes absolutely no sense.

16. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I don't think it needs to make sense by itself. It's a bit like the reference to the month of Geldof (One I borrowed successfully for about two terms in GCSE French before it got spotted), I don't think you need to know the backstory of the reference completely, it just... is.

17. Diet_coke

I also thought that scene you mention is self explanatory

18. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Go on then. Explain it.

19. the month of Geldof

I hate Bob Geldof and his racist "Do They Know It's Christmas?". It was racist even when that RD was new.

20. STAR_PIRATE

STAR_PIRATE First Technician

I hate Do They Know It's Christmas, as it always seems to get released when Bob Geldof's popularly is going down the pan... I think he does it to make money for himself