Explain That?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Hollo_Marx, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I thought it was obvious we were supposed to assume that they were referencing something like a dance that is done on a trailer, at the end of a flagship show or something similar that has become synonymous with the show or network itself and honestly, for something so utterly inconsequential I'm not sure what else you really need or expect to be told within the context of a 30 minute episode. I'm also not sure why you need to know the exact origins of the Rimmer-wiggledance for it to make sense.

Whilst I'm not a fan, I think it's stretching it to say that it's racist. Some of the lyrics may have been a bit misguided perhaps, but I don't think that's really racism.

Yeah, I broadly agree. I don't think he actually makes money directly off the song, but I'm sure reminding the public about how great Sir Bob is doesn't do him any harm financially when it comes to TV appearances and sales of books, music or other merchandise. It certainly seems to me to be as much about raising awareness of Bob Geldof than the issues concerned.

Like I said though, I'm pretty cynical.

Anyway this is going massively OT.

2. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Situations in Africa arent actually as bad as the song makes out...I can directly quote an interview with the British nurse who survived ebola. Interview in the back of the radio times.
    "Have you heard the band aid thirty single?

"....It's just like, people live normal lives here and do normal things. It's africa, not another planet. That sort of cultural ignorance is a bit cringeworthy. There's a lyric about 'death in every tear' it's just a bit much..

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Because I'm obsessive like that :?

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Rather than referencing a dance, I just figured Rimmer's wiggle when he said "groovy funky channel 27" (or whatever number it was)was just Rimmer emphasising his point in a sarcastic comical way.

Either explanation works for me though. I got his point.

5. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I just thought Rimmer was doing that dance to satirise the kind of person who watches that channel (dancing airheads, in his eyes).

I got the impression it was taking the mick out of things like Channel 4 at the time - sort of a hip young lefty alternative channel, maybe? Thing is without him doing that little dance it wouldn't have made me imagine that. You can sense his bitterness as he does it. It struck me as a channel that would be considered too young for Rimmer, maybe even Lister, like the association is embarrassing.

It's to emphasise the fact holograms aren't taken seriously. It'd be like the only representative for a condition you had being exclusively on news shown on BBC three. Just horrendous.

But.....why would Rimmer care? He's 3 million years into the future. Those issues will likely no longer apply. If that were me I'd be hopeful that humans figured out some decent equality rights for holograms, also how to resurrect people or give them artificial bodies as good as their originals. He's lucky he was backed up at all, the ungrateful git. Lister was right to call out his pessimism there.

6. Yes, it was definitely making fun of Channel 4.

7. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

In the absence of a general Q&A thread, I thought this was probably the best place to ask. What year was Dave Lister supposed to have joined the Space Corps?

In Timeslides, when they enter the photo of Lister playing in his band as a 17 year-old, it looks like the 1970s, but this wouldn't make sense.

8. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

He was born in 2155. Went on a drunken Monopoly board pub crawl in London with his friends to celebrate his 23rd birthday, where he got very drunk; when he awoke, he was on Mimas, one of Saturn's moons, with no money. After six months, having failed to make enough money to get back home, he signed up for a job on the mining ship Red Dwarf. So that would be 2178.

The 70s look could be explained by the fact that it may be a retro revivial? They often come around where the fashions & trends of the past get revisited

9. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

See, you can give a serious, non-sarcastic reply when you try :-D

Thank you.

10. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

It depends entirely on the question...:roll:

11. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Knowing what we already know about DNA, why does Kryten have to explain to Rimmer what is it in DNA?

12. that's for the benefit of those in the audience who might think DNA is a household disinfectant like Mr Sheen or Glen 20?

13. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Agreed, it's mainly exposition for those of the audience that needed it, I was fairly young first time I watched it so I think it may well have been the first time I had DNA explained to me. If you want in-episode reasoning, we know that neither Rimmer, Lister or the Cat are particularly knowledgeable so they probably needed to have it explained to them too.

14. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

You know it's strange, but because of Rimmer's pomposity, I never seem him as unintelligent.

15. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

This is the man who failed his Astro Navigation exams at least 9 times (10 of you count the time he had his "spasm"), who mistook a light switch for a piece of art, whose career high point in spite of literally years trying was promotion to second technician in charge of the jobs that were considered unworthy of bothering the service robots with and also after years of study was still utterly useless at a foreign language. I thought it was clear from, well pretty much everything, that Rimmer was basically incompetent at all but the most menial tasks and it wasn't for the lack of trying. It's not even a lack of effort, which was what doomed Lister in Inquisitor, Rimmer did the best he could and that consisted of unblocking soup nozzles. So it doesn't seem unlikely to me that Rimmer might benefit from a quick recap courtesy of Kryten in his role as Exposition/Science Officer.

16. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

A good read that, simon.

17. About the 1930s newspaper in Timeslides - don't most libraries in 21st century Britain have copies of old editions of The Times and other important papers on microfiche? Why a mining ship would need an archive of old newspapers is another question...

(More to the point, It didn't look like a print out from microfiche, It looked like an actual newspaper, which is even less likely...)

18. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I think they used to have old papers archived on microfilm, I'm not sure about these days though, I'd be surprised if they haven't been converted and stored digitally. It's still far from improbably that it could be a print out, it would make sense that a ship like Red Dwarf might have stocks of newspaper grade paper for printing documents etc that might only be intended for short term availability before being recycled on board (Newspaper being a bit easier to pulp down being lower density), after all it's a big ship so it's a possibility.

19. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

All the more credit to his pomposity then :-D

And I still don't see him as stupid/unintelligent. Just misunderstood.

20. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Not really, pomposity and arrogance are one thing if you actually have something to be pompous or arrogant about, Rimmer doesn't.

I'm also not sure where you get that he's misunderstood from. Pretty much everything that we've been shown demonstrates how frankly useless, incompetent and incapable he is with very, very few redeeming moments. Even though he was eventually persuaded to take over as Ace in one of the handful of positive moments, we don't know how well he did or how long he lasted.

If he's "misunderstood", the intelligent, capable, competent Rimmer is very well hidden indeed. There's certainly little sign of it on screen. I'd be genuinely interested in hearing where you get this impression from because I can't really recall anything to support that view. He might hide his incompetence behind a veneer of pomposity, but that doesn't mean that he's any less incapable.