Explain That?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Hollo_Marx, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I don't think that's what Melanie's referring to.

2. I was referring to the rape accusation in the nineties.

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

In Out of Time, Lister and Kryten have the following exchange after Kryten has made contact with their future selves.

Kryten: "All I'm at liberty to disclose, sir, is that all four members of the Starbug crew will be boarding this vessel."

Lister: "Yeah, but I'm not amongst them, right?"

How can Lister suggest he isn't amongst them, when Kryten's just said all four will be boarding... who does he think the fourth member could possibly be, if not himself?

4. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Kryten is trying to be deliberately cryptic there, he doesn't actually say at that stage that any of them are aboard Future Starbug, just that it has a crew of 4. It's entirely possible that in the intervening years one of the current crew might have left or died and been replaced. For example, if they'd encountered late Series VII Starbug, Kryten would still have been correct in saying that all 4 crewmembers were coming aboard, even though Rimmer had been replaced by Kochanski at that stage.

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Yes, that makes enough sense to satisfy me. Thanks.

6. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

At the end of Meltdown, Lister says, "Holly, give me his lightbee!" to which she immediately responds by doing so.

Why did he just not do this after they'd discovered he'd gone wrong, in order to prevent him taking the waxdroids into battle?

7. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

He didn't think of it at the time he was preoccupied by all the waxdroids stuff. A shock to his senses.

Anyway, we don't really wanna get into all the lightbee inconsistencies

8. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Fair enough. That satisfies me.

Here's another. In The Inquisitor, why don't Rimmer and Cat recognise (at least) the similarities between the real Lister and Kryten and the ones in their reality?

9. simulant37

Again, the situation they are in maybe overrides this, or they just didn't vocalise this feeling or maybe it was not important to the narrative?

10. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

There's that. But also, Kryten is a Series 4000 so he should at the very least look similar to the alternative Kryten if not identical (Maybe a slightly different model, we know different model 4000s exist because Camille was a feminised looking 4000GTi), as for Lister IIRC by this point they've already encountered Camille so they're aware of the existence of appearance manipulating life-forms, with that in mind any similarities between "our" Lister and alternative Lister might not seem all that remarkable, or at least not remarkable enough to comment on before interrogating them and ruling out the possibility that he was another GELF of some sort.

The reappearance of the Inquisitor cuts short any chance the alternative crew had to question them any further.

11. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Both fair points, but later on in the episode, when Cat and Rimmer burst into Starbug and declare they'd rather take their chances with Lister and Kryten, Lister steps forward and verbally introduces himself and Kryten by name.

12. Thank Cloister that RD never tried using voodoo as a plot point. I'd like to see a decent and respectful treatment of voodoo, that isn't used as a cheap way of turning hapless male protagonists into buxom women or baby girls. (Although, i deeply regret leaving my disk full of downloaded Spells 'R' Us gender bender fiction where family could find it)

13. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

At that point they've being chased by the Inquisitor who's just killed the two alternate versions of them and Kryten interrupts before too much conversation happens. I'd imagine that they're going to be concentrating on dealing with the most immediate threat first, then they can explore the funny coincidences of how much alike the newcomers look to their alternate versions when they haven't got someone trying to exterminate them.

14. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Forgive me if I get this quote wrong but doesn't rimmer say "look they've come here from another dimension to do oooh weird things to us" with this line I think he is admitting and dismissing the fact they are like their "lister and kryten" it's just they dismiss it because they haven't ever met this version of lister and kryten before. Or at least they don't think they have...

.sorry, tried to make sense, hard with this topic.

15. simulant37

Err, ok...not sure what that has to do with this thread...:roll:

16. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I think Rimmer's leaping to conclusions based on their claims at that point, he's trying to scare Cat and alternate Kryten and Lister into going along with him. Of course that doesn't explain Alternate Kryten's "Delicately put Sir," comment, how could he have known that if he didn't understand the situation from Our Kryten's point of view?

17. Diet_coke

I'm sure I can find some time to watch this episode again today. I think I will and get back to you x

18. Diet_coke

I watched it again. I couldn't manage to pick up on anything I can really add here..although one thought was rimmer says 'I say open door to oblivion and kick em through" and both listers react saying the same things back..as if rimmer/cat don't recognise the new lister and kryten either yet.. However it is clutching at straws there a bit Id say.

19. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

While I admit this one may just be a case of me not understanding time-travel paradoxes, etc, I've always wondered why in Rimmerworld, when the crew keep inadvertently beaming into their future / past selves, that they're all dressed in the same clothes.

Are they supposed to be beaming into the same day of a different timeline, or was it just that the production crew couldn't be bothered with costume changes and decided to shoot all the scenes on the same day?

20. simulant37

This, & rather than "couldn't be bothered" I imagine it was simply quicker. Also, apart from Cat does the characters' attire change much in a single series? No. Not really...