EXPLOITED!!!

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by BigOleDummy, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Having now read the full synopsis for Cannibal Holocaust, I think it's a bit much for me.

"Let's go to a South American island full of cannibals" - A lot of people go to Majorca, but fair enough.
    "Oh no, the aforementioned cannibals are eating us" - Well, that was probably always on the cards.
    "Let's gang-rape one of the female cannibals, that'll show her" - Look, I understand that you're angry with her because of the cannibalism, but where did that come from.

A film like Zombi is more my pace but I don't know if that counts as exploitation, it's just a zombie film that's old and trashy and isn't Romero. It has a scene of someone getting a huge splinter through their eye, and a scene of a zombie fighting a shark underwater. It's confusing trying to make sense of that franchise because the films all have different titles and different directors kept marketing films as sequels of other director's films, it was a bit of a free-for-all.

I think intent is a lot of what makes some violence okay and other violence not. Like in a zombie film the zombie doesn't know what it's doing, it's just eating like an animal. So we can watch a zombie tear someone up and we might watch through our fingers but it shouldn't be psychologically disturbing. Whereas when it's a fully conscious human inflicting horrendous abuse that's when it gets unsettling. Especially if the film is from the point of view of the abuser.

jmc2000 likes this.
  2. neilold

neilold Science Officer

It is also atmosphere. A film like hostel is shocking because of the serious tone and setting of it. Whereas as the gore in a film like evil dead 2 may be much more visceral and gratuitous, but it is taken a lot less seriously because of the comedic atmosphere of the movie

3. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Yeah, it's a gorefest but it's a comic-book. The protagonist is a good guy, and even though he's chopping off heads and ripping out guts, they're supernatural demons so therefore they deserve it. Don't give me any of this "demons have feelings too"!

I'll defend I Spit On Your Grave because while it does have a horrendous gang-rape scene, which in fact goes beyond rape into sexual torture I hesitate to even describe, the film is from the victim's point of view. It's her perspective you are being invited to share, not the rapists'. You have all the sympathy for her and no sympathy for the rapists when she puts herself back together and mercilessly executes all four of them. Especially the ring-leader, the way she dispatches him is quite poetic. The film depicts rape and some might say it lingers on the rape too long - all up I think the rape scene goes on about half an hour? - but I think it's necessary to get the audience so outraged with these guys that they go along with her revenge. The director said he got the idea from assisting a rape victim, so his head was in the right place all along.

4. neilold

neilold Science Officer

Yep. It's an interesting film alright. Have you seen the remake. It's very good and close to being almost as good as the original. It's got some decent kills in it, and the rape is even more horrific and drawn out. If the original wasn't so important to me, then i would probably prefer it

5. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

If it's decent kills and long drawn out moments of horror you are after... Have I got a movie for you!

[​IMG]

6. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Right that's it.....:sulk:

Underdunn likes this.
  7. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

No, I haven't seen the remake. I don't really do remakes at the best of times. Somewhat confusingly I see there is now a remake, two sequels to the remake, and a sequel to the original. I might look up the sequel to the original but that seems a bit contrived nearly 40 years later.

I only watched it the once, and if I remember it right then I can't imagine how it could be more horrific. It was shocking by 1970s standards and I shudder to think what they've come up with to "top" it in the 2010s. For some reason I have a bias where I'm more sympathetic to violent films from that period of the late '70s - early '80s but I haven't really seen any modern ones apart from the two I mentioned earlier which were put in front of me. I guess it's an interest in cinema history, the original was important but these sequels and remakes I never even heard of on their own. Were they even in cinemas or were they straight-to-DVD?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  8. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

"Frying tonight!" :lol::lol::lol:

9. neilold

neilold Science Officer

The remake was in cinemas I think. Bit it's two sequels were straight to video. I spit on your grave two, the following on to the remake, is probs the cruellest of all the movies, original, remake and two sequels included, and I spit three is pure man hatred

10. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

Neil speaking of being exploited do you like insects all over your willy?

Abe and Nikki the Great like this.
  11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That would be a weird fetish.

Nikki the Great likes this.
  12. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

Thats why I thought Neil was the man to ask

Abe and Nikki the Great like this.
  13. neilold

neilold Science Officer

No I don't

14. Spaceman

Spaceman Supply Officer

Cloud is a tapdancer, he told Spaceman only yesterday

15. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Go away

Ant E likes this.
  16. neilold

neilold Science Officer

Stay and also go away

17. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

@neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold @neilold

Nikki the Great likes this.
  18. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

big if true