Extended/Deleted Scenes, canon or not?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Elwood, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

Do you consider the deleted scenes and extended episodes of Red Dwarf to be part of the shows continuity or not? Admittedly if some were said to be cut for not making sense, then clearly they're not. But the majority are cut for a lack of time, so for all intense and purposes, they would have been there. To which Ilk do you belong?

Side note, with the extended episodes do they play when you select play all on the DVD menu or not? It's been so long since I watched them I can't remember. :eek:ops:

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

3. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Well some of the deleted scenes were deleted because of time restrictions as well, it's only in the last 2 series that they started putting them back in in an extended cut. The way I look at it is if it was written and filmed, it WAS intended to be in the episode until they realised the show was too long (a prime example is Holoship). Somtimes there are alt versions of the same scene which I wouldn't consider cannon, or a scene has been changed because the removal of a previous scene makes it essential to make that change, in this case where the two contradict eachother then I wouldn't consider it cannon.

4. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

Yeah that's how I feel. if they name it as deleted it's gonna be canon. This topic also helped me realise the difference between deleted scenes and an extended episode. I did think they were technically the same. I prefer them as deleted scenes though, as they're easier to view. This way you have to watch the entire episode again to see the cut bits and so on.

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

There are any number of reasons that a scene may be deleted, but I don't consider deleted scenes canon simply because future episodes can contradict them because the writers know they weren't included in the finished episode. It that respect, it doesn't matter that they are included on a dvd as a deleted scene.

Although, looking for canon in Red Dwarf based on consistency between episodes is a fruitless task.

6. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Yeah that is a good point.