Fan Fiction

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, May 26, 2016.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Does anyone know of any good RD fan fiction? What I'm looking for is speculative/imagined episodes written in a traditional short story format.

Often thought of doing it myself but never got round to it.

2. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

That's pretty much the kind of thing - especially the format of the first (second is more script like).

Thank you.

4. Carrie TORDFC

Carrie TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

Check out fanfiction.net and ao3.org for a huge collection of RD fan fiction. 8)

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Cool! Will do. Thank you.

6. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

I read some pretty... special... red dwarf fanfic online. Slash fiction to be exact. I'll never see the scutters the same way again.

7. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Fan Fiction for Red Dwarf always ends up with Lister and Rimmer shagging.

8. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

I sent that to you in confidence!

9. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

10. Carrie TORDFC

Given some of the comments above, I'd kindly ask people to be considerate of various sectors of the fandom. Just as I'm sure it wouldn't be appreciated if podcasts or website reviews were mocked, please show the fan fiction community (slash or otherwise) the same respect. If you don't like it, don't read it. Simples.

After all, we all like the same show! 8)

11. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Never said there was anything wrong with Rimsy and Listy getting jiggy with it.

12. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Currently writing one that explains what happened directly after Series VIII, since that's one of the mysteries left unresolved. About 3/4 of the way through the first draft, it's already more than 7,000 words! I'll be posting it after edits.

13. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I discovered this on tumblr... it's a massive 'thing' among the fan types, and it's known as 'Shipping' (no idea why it's called that).

Cool! Is it story or script format?

14. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

When exactly?

15. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

"Shipping" refers to putting two characters together in a relationship (so it's literally short for "relationshipping"). "Slash" is when you actually write stories involving, ahem, romantic interation between them (it comes from the terminology of listing the two characters' names, separated by a slash, e.g. Spock/Kirk or Lister/Rimmer).

I'm generally of the mind that however and in what way people want to engage creatively with the show is a good thing. If people want to envisage Lister and Rimmer in a relationship together, then fair play to them - although for me, it's not one that's really in any way supported by the text (unlike other examples like, say, Captain America and Bucky). And so I suppose what I do find a little annoying is when certain people - and I do mean "certain", it's by no means a majority! - refuse to allow their belief that the two are romantically interested in each other to be challenged. It's like... it's okay to take that interpretation, definitely. But it's also okay to express your interpretation that they're not, y'know? It doesn't mean you're saying the other person's wrong, it just means you're not saying they're definitely right.

16. Carrie TORDFC

I totally agree. There's no 'right' or 'wrong' way to enjoy an appreciation of a fandom. Just as long as you're enjoying it in your way and letting everyone else enjoy it their way, that's good. 8)

17. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

It'll be in story format. I'm up to 7,700 words, and hopefully around 3/4 of the way done.

18. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

You're heading for novella length at that rate.

19. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Looking forward to it. Mainly because I don't even think Doug could come up with a way to explain it...

20. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Because of this thread I went and re-read most of the fanfiction section on ffnet and left a couple of reviews on some of the stories. Been meaning to review more of the stories in that section to show the Red Dwarf fanfic writers some love 8) Just over 800 stories and a lot are oneshots so doesn't take long to read. Need more new stories :P