Fan theory - Inquisitor and Kochanski

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by HO HO HO I'M JMC, Oct 5, 2016.

1. HO HO HO I'M JMC

HO HO HO I'M JMC Deck Sergeant

Found this interesting fan theory on the Red Dwarf Wikia:

This is something I'd never considered before. The Inquisitor's last words are, "all my glorious work will be undone" - which suggests that *people he replaced would be restored*.

That a) gives a possible (in-universe) excuse for at least one cast change per characer and b) creates a bit of waggle-room, in terms of stuff that got retconned.

In the suggestion above, Chloe-Kochanski was actually the *first* Kochanksi - but the Inquisitor replaced her with Clare-Kochanski. Then, when the Inquisitor died, Chloe-Kochanski was restored.

This chimes nicely with the retconning, which established her as Lister's ex. It makes sense that Chloe's Kochanski would be willing to waste time with Lister. Clare's Kochanski took her goals more seriously - "seizing the gift of life" - and wasn't.

The theory isn't watertight because of the timings. Kochanski became Lister's ex in series four, *before* the Inquisitor's work was undone. Equally, Kochanski still looked like Clare Grogan in Psirens, which was *after* Inquisitor.

However, I like the theory enough that I'm prepare to shrug that off as "timey-wimey stuff". Maybe the universe was a bit unstable, and shimmered between two realities for a while?

More generally, I think I'm going to consider this "trump card" for every bit of retconning. Undoing the Inquisitor's work would be a massive change, and there's the butterfly effect to consider. Who knows what effects it would have on established history...?

2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I always thought Clare-Kochanski was Lister's type way more than Chloe-Kochanki. Clare-Kochanski seemed a bit more rock 'n' roll, and wasn't posh. Chloe-Kochanki was awkward and was shown to not fit in with Lister at all.

3. HO HO HO I'M JMC

Ah! But this has come up on the forum before. Clare-Kochanski *is* posh!

From Balance of Power:

And:

We don't see enough of her to judge otherwise, unless we make assumptions based on her accent (hopefully, the stereotype that posh = south of England will be long gone by the future).

4. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Oh I don't think so dear boy.

5. HO HO HO I'M JMC

6. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Her accent was involved, Scottish vs Home Counties. You're right that we don't have much to go on with Clare-Kochanski, so her appearance and speech have to come into play. Although we do know that Clare-Kochanski happily marries Lister in the Stasis-Leak-future. Plus Clare Grogan, at least to me, had a bit more of a quasi-New-Wave look to her. I can't really put my finger on that, but it's probably to do with the fact that we see her in the late '80s, whereas Chloe shows up in the late '90s. I am also being coloured by the Psirens hallucination where Clare-Kochanski is all action-woman, "get out the belt while you can" in that tank top. Chloe wouldn't say "get out the belt", she'd say "get out of the belt". Also, the actress Clare Grogan really was the singer in a New Wave band.

In Camille, Lister's vision of his ideal woman isn't Kochanski, it's some rocker looking woman in a leather-jacket. This bugs me, given he's supposed to be so in love with Kochanski.

In The End, when Lister asks Kochanski what Captain Hollister wants, she sort of disses him by sarcastically suggesting he's being rewarded for his devotion to duty. I suppose this suggests she's critical of Lister for being unmotivated job-wise. But the way she delivers it always came across as a bit flirty to me.

For Rimmer to call a woman snooty is somewhat ironic. For all we know it just means she rebuffed him. Surely Rimmer is pretty snooty himself.

Production-wise, I think they asked Clare to come back, but she was busy with another job. I don't think it was a deliberate change, was it? I did find it jarring that they didn't at least get someone Scottish and give her the same haircut. I think they shouldn't have brought her back if they couldn't get Clare, that character having been built up over what was then the last decade.

Where exactly is the contradiction though, where are we definitely told that Kochanski was never Lister's girlfriend? The flashback where Chen tells Lister she's out of his league could have been before they went out. Lister saying they never had sex doesn't mean they were never in a romantic relationship / went on dates. When Lister talks to Kochanski in The End it comes across like she knows him. In Confidence & Paranoia, Lister uses the Dream Recorder to see that Kochanski dreamed about him three times.

Maybe pre-Inquisitor contradictions can be explained by them briefly dating, and post-Inquisitor contraditions can be the Inquisitor.

Chloe-Kochanski is also from an alternate dimension. Who's to say that our Lister didn't just go along with her version of events thinking it gave him a better chance with her.

7. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Had never considered that before but you are so right....kochanski in Camille would have made soooo much more sense (as opposed to craig charles giving his then girlfriend a job!)

8. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

I love the orgasming over Clare Grogan over a handful of lines. Talk about building up a high image of a character....

9. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Yet this, and the subsequent negative reaction of Chloe Annett's Kochanski is so true to what so many people do with their fantasy. Just like Lister did (at least in the original series) the viewers romanticized her despite not knowing her at all...then the real thing came along and crushed the fantasy.

10. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

I prefer Chloe in all departments :eek:ops: