Fathers in X

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by bedfordfalls, Nov 10, 2012.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Quite the running theme isn't it:

1. Rimmer and Howard both competing for their fathers attention and lying about their careers (Trojan)
    2. Lister's relationship with himself as his own father and not wanting to take his fatherly advice. (F&S)
    3. Jesus not wanting to be his father's (God's) son and rebelling against his Dad's commandments (Lemons).
    4. Lister wondering whether he has fathered a child back on Earth (Dear Dave)
    5. Lister's ability to father children put in jeopardy via the groinal exploder - okay this one's a bit tenuous! (Entangled)
    6. Rimmer's relationship with his father and discovering the true identity of his father! (The Beginning)

And of course the series marks two members of the Naylor family being involved in its production: Notably Father and Son!!!

What a weird coincidence! :lol:

2. ShrunkenPixel

ShrunkenPixel Second Technician

Nice findings :-)

I'd seen a review somewhere that pointed out the series obsession with fathers, but I could only identify two myself (Fathers and Suns and The Beginning), but it seems to have been the tenuous link between every episode.

The revelation about Rimmer's father makes me question who Howard's father was. Howard wasn't entirely dissimilar to Arnold, indeed much of his stature and success turned out to be falsified in order to impress Arnold - I wouldn't be surprised if Lecturer Rimmer was impotent and all 'his' children were offspring of the gardener :-)

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Well they do share the same mother so they would still have some similarities. I'd bet that most of the trademark Rimmer characteristics are from his mother's side. And yeah, I don't personally think that Rimmer's dad is really the father of ANY of the children. In fact one of the reasons I probably wasn't phased by this revelation is that I'd always believed Rimmer was the offspring of an affair...although I'd assumed it was Uncle Frank who was to blame. :eek:ops: