Favorite ep from each series ?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sundayforsammy, Dec 6, 2009.

1. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Ok i was just thinking what is everyones favorite episode from each series. My fav episiodes change depending on when i ask my self this question but at this present time are as follows

S1. Future Echoes
    S2. Queeg
    S3. Marooned
    S4. Justice
    S5. Back to reality
    S6. Gunmen
    S7. Tika to ride
    S8. Cassandra

what are yours ?

2. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

Actually very close to yours. :shock:

S1. Future Echoes
    S2. Queeg
    S3. Marooned
    S4. Justice / White Hole/ Dimension Jump - hard to seperate. Also the opening scene of Camille is a favourite from any series.
    S5. Back to Reality
    S6. Psirens
    S7. Tikka to Ride
    S8. Cassandra

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

1. The End
    2. Stasis Leak
    3. Marooned
    4. Justice
    5. Back to Reality
    6. Out of Time
    7. Beyond a Joke
    8. Back in the Red

4. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Pretty similar here aswell,

S1. Future Echoes
    S2. Queeg (with Kryten as a very close 2nd)
    S3. Marooned or Backwards
    S4. Justice and White Hole (so, what is it?)
    S5. Back to reality and Legion
    S6. Gunmen Of The Apocalypse
    S7. Tikka to ride
    S8. Can't really say as I've only seen the series once

RAGE

5. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

S1 Balance of power (emotional bound ;-) episode that made me a dwarfer)
    S2 Kryten
    S3 Backwards
    S4 White hole (again, emotional thing)
    S5 Terroform
    S6 Gunmen of the Apocalipse
    S7 Ouroboros
    S8 Cassandra

6. MyMindIsGoing

MyMindIsGoing First Technician

Location, Location is a TV show about houses.
    S1: Future Echoes
    The truly brilliant scene with Lister trying to hold a conversation with a Rimmer from one minute into the future alone nudges this ahead of the rest.

S2: Kryten
    It's obvious from the get go that everyone, cast and audience alike, is having the time of their lives here and the palpable energy makes the episode just magical.

S3: Backwards
    Hard to choose this series as all the eps are pretty much of a high standard, but Backwards gets the prize purely for having a great central concept.

S4: DNA
    Another toughie and once again concept wins out. Honourable mention goes to Meltdown mainly for the wonderful Clayton Marks as Elvis, but points deducted for other dodgy guest performers who shall remain nameless. Coughthenazis.

S5: Quarantine
    The toughest series of all to choose from as pretty much every episode is in my all time top ten (actually it's literally every episode!), but Quarantine just barely scrapes a win for managing to scare me the first time I watched it! It's a testament to Chris Barrie that he can make such a ridiculous costume so bloody creepy! Just coming in joint second are Demons And Angels for a great story and Holoship for the beautifully played doomed romance between Rimmer and Nirvanah.

S6: Gunmen Of The Apocalypse
    What can I say? I have a soft spot for westerns! Although I'd have loved to have seen the episode played out the way it was in the Backwards novel. It would have been damn near perfect!

S7: Nanarchy
    I'm not massively fond of this series as a whole, mainly because it struggled to find its footing when Chris left. Started off well, sagged in the middle, but by the end it had found the old magic again and Nanarchy is riding the crest of a very late and overdue wave.

S8: Cassandra
    I quite like this series as it's nowhere near as bad as some people make out. Cassandra in particular is a superb episode with some hilarious moments and a fine performance from Geraldine McEwen, holding her own and doing amazingly well for an actress far more used to period drama than futuristic comedy. Even Chloe Annett, who has so far been quite badly served as Kochanski, gets the chance to really show her comedy muscles. The chemistry between her and Chris Barrie is fantastic. Why didn't they get more scenes together?

S9:
    I can't quite remember the name of the episode but that scene with Lister and the bathtub is just sublime. But then Series 9 was just full of those little gems. No wonder it's always heralded as the best series ever!

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Future Echos, Cassandra, Gunmen...

People's choices are always so predictable.

8. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

Maybe they are the best (for any taste) :-D

9. MyMindIsGoing

To be fair, with a choice of one out of only six or eight, how unpredictable are you expecting people to be?? :roll:

10. archie918

archie918 Second Technician

The End
    I admit there is a bit of a bias here, but it was the first RD I watched, and has some great laughs.
    Better than Life
    Close tie here with Thanks For The Memory (great plot but lacking on laughs) and Kryten (I just prefer Robert Llewellyn). This one appeals to me because of a good concept and great laughs (the 1 thing from perfection, can't take him anywhere, can you?)
    Timeslides
    Great laughs and ok concept (mutated fluid a bit dodgy) and a few plot flaws but overall great episode. In 2nd is The Last Day, but I didn't like the delivery of Hudzen 10.
    Dimension Jump
    Absolute classic, Ace still makes me laugh every time. What a guy!
    Inquisitor
    I'm not a big fan of Series 5, I though it was just one monster after another. This was slightly more interesting simply because of the judgements, which explored the characters a bit more, and Lister using his brain, which was something good for a relitively undevloped character.
    Gunmen of The Apocalypse
    There is a reason why this got an Emmy, great plot, exicting and hilarious. And the mouse never wins, unless you believe this lying cartoons!
    Stoke me a Clipper
    I thought this was a great way to see off Rimmer. Many people hate this, but I thought the Bond/ Indiana Jones was hilarious was Lister if Smeg was quite funny. Wean series overall though.
    Krytie TV
    Not great episode but better than any if the smeg in Series 8 M.

11. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

If I watched them all right now, this would probably change!!

1 - The End
    2 - Queeg
    3 - Polymorph
    4 - White Hole
    5 - Demons and Angels
    6 - Psirens
    7 - Beyond a Joke
    8 - Only the Good
    BTE - Part 3!!

12. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Didn't we do this not so long ago?

S1. Confidence & Paranoia
    S2. Stasis Leak
    S3. Polymorph
    S4. Dimension Jump
    S5. Quarantine
    S6. Legion
    S7. Tika to ride
    S8. Cassandra

These are probably completely different to last times choices:roll:

13. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

this is really difficult ! my faves tend to change quite often, but here goes...

S1: future echoes/Ballance of power....darn it! i've failed to stick to just one choice allready! well, at least i'm not the first.

s2: Queeg

s3: polymorph, no wait marroond...jesh this is harder than sitting an exam!

s4: white hole.

s5: Quarantine.

s6: out of time.

s7: Beyond a joke.

s8: Back in the
    red xtended...especialy that ever so popular cat/blue midget dance scene;-), seriously though, i don't get why it's not more popular amoungst the hardcore fans. i mean, are the people who hate it, the same people that dislike tongue tied? personally i enjoy both scenes equally.

14. MyMindIsGoing

For me personally, the Blue Midget dance sequence (BMDS) is my least favourite moment ever in Red Dwarf. However, I have no problems whatsoever with Tounge Tied. I think it's all down to the execution. Tounge Tied is great as it's a musical number taylored to a group who consist of some rather poor dancers :lol: whereas the BMDS is taylored to extremely clunky CGI so it kind of falls flat. Don't get me wrong, I don't HATE it, it's just not my favourite.

15. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Fair enough, but i really dont think the cgi is as bad as you (and others) make out. besides, it's all just a bit of fun sillyness within the hallucination anyway.

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I agree. As for 'clunky', I guess it depends what one means. If it means 'unrealistic' then, yes it certainly is cartoon like. If it means 'poorly animated' then I disagree. The animation is rather smooth, although the subject matter is cheesy.* If it's a reference to the humour, fair enough. That's all subject to taste, etc. I certainly wouldn't want to much of it, but then again such scenes are hardly that prevalent in Red Dwarf.

*I don't mean that in the altogether negative sense that was brought up in another thread. The cheese is very much part of the comedy here.

17. Duddits

Duddits Skutter

This changes everytime I rewatch them, but for the moment:

1 - Future Echoes
    2 - Stasis Leak
    3 - Marooned
    4 - Justice
    5 - Holoship - (really difficult to choose from series 5!)
    6 - Gunmen of the Apocalypse
    7 - Epideme
    8 - Cassandra

18. MyMindIsGoing

I may have been a bit harsh and more than a little vague using the word 'clunky'! What I meant by it was that the CGI, whilst being excellent for a British show, at the time wasn't quite fluid enough for a fully fledged complicated dance number, so Danny's choreography ended up being a little limited. (The Casio Home Organ soundtrack didn't help either!)

I have no doubt that the CGI team would be able to pull of something quite spectacular nowadays; I didn't intend to make it sound as if I thought they were in any way inferior. I certainly couldn't do what they do! It was just a moment where ambition was greater than the technology could handle.

19. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

Series I: Future Echos. The episode is executed perfectly, with Lister having a conversation with Rimmer from two minutes into the future as an episode highlight. Such great writing that was pulled off with skill by the actors involved. Holly giving Rimmer a beehive was excellent, and the "I look....like a complete and total tit!" line was gold.

Series II: Thanks for the Memory. Rimmer's explanation of how aliens speak followed by the Cat declaring he wouldn't like to be around for a speech was a classic. The whole episode runs along so smoothly with everyone getting in on the excellent dialogue. "State of the art, sonny," "it's the state of the floor, I'm worried about!". Again - before the show did much with CGI or guest characters, the cast carried these along beautifully.

Series III: Marooned. In a series that was really finding its legs with a new addition to the cast, it was an episode that really felt like Seasons I and II that shone. Rimmer and Lister had some absolutely brilliant banter, with Rimmer's attempt to remember a monologue from "Richard III" being a highlight for me. Lister trying the dog food and the story about Lister's first time were all excellently done.

Series IV: The whole group finally settled in and Kryten established himself as an outstanding addition to the group in this series, in my opinion. There's a lot of candidates in this season as it just seemed to run so well. I'd have to settle on Justice as my absolute favorite. The crew clamoring over the opportunity to date Barbara Bellini, Lister's space mumps and the subsequent explosion of his head all over the Cat, the Justice Zone, Kryten's eloquent defensive of Rimmer using his own stupidity--classic Dwarf.

Series V: Quarantine. Again, this season was on the whole brilliant, but I have to go with the Q on this one. Rimmer is at the top of the game with the holo virus, marching around in army boots and a dress. Lister, Cat and Kryten trying to get along in Quarantine is a treat as well. But really, this episode is made by Chris Barrie's performance.

Series VI: The series opens with Psirens, and in my opinion, that is the best. Series VI is the first series I got to watch from start to finish and still stands tall as one of my favorites. There isn't an episode in this season that I dislike, but it kicked off with a big bang with Psirens. Some great dialogue--Kryten looking to acquire a reputation, the dead body using a kidney as a full stop(prompting Lister to say he badly needed a pen)...brilliantly pulled off.

Series VII: Stoke me a Clipper. Rimmer's farewell to the Dwarf crew, this is where Naylor began to flex his dramatic writing muscles. It was hit or miss in Series VII, but this one didn't miss. Dwarf was never really one to make me feel misty, but Lister awarding Rimmer the rank of first officer "post humously" was a very touching moment. Plenty of great dialogue in here, Lister of Smeg being one of my favorites.

Series VIII: Cassandra is my runaway favorite in this series, probably because it had shades of Future Echoes which is my all time favorite. "All of the canaries will be dead in 1 hour except for Rimmer....who will be dead in 20 minutes" was awesome. I also have to give a nod to the opening season of Back in the Red Part I. It felt so bloody magnificent to have a bunk scene with Lister and Rimmer again. Even if Lister went well over 60 seconds to get Rimmer to crack, it was an outstanding scene that felt like classic Dwarf.

20. onephatsmegger

onephatsmegger Second Technician

S.1 - Future Echoes
    S.2 - Queeg
    S.3 - Polymorph
    S.4 - White Hole
    S.5 - Quarantine
    S.6 - Gunmen of the Apocalypse
    S.7 - Tikka To Ride
    S.8 - Cassandra

Special mention goes to Meltdown. Not exactly the fan's favourite, but Clayton mark was superb.