Favourite Alien Life- form

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by adorabelle, Mar 19, 2009.

1. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

The crew of the Red Dwarf have encountered many a strange life-form/alien/monster/virus(?) over the series'. From the vindaloo monster to the nano-bots, from Dr. Landstrum to the polymorph, they have all been pretty different. So the question is of all the beings encountered by the crew, which is your favourite, and why?

Mine would be camille the pleasure gelf, from "camille" series 4. I know it's an unusual choice, but I loved the romantic scenes between Kryten and Camille, and the bit where the cat goes to meet his perfect companion- himself, classic. Seeing the object of desire for each of the characters was also a highlight.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

There are actually no aliens in Red Dwarf. All life has origins on Earth.

Mine would be the Epideme. It was a very memorable character, and Gary Martin's performance was great.

3. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

Hey Bluey, you're right, now that i think about it all those wierd creatures were genetically engineered! That'll teach me to start a new topic without thinking it through, eh?:eek:ops:

4. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

It's a toss-up between Epideme and The Inquisitor.

I'll choose The Inquisitor, simply to avoid agreeing with Bluey...

5. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

I'd probably have to go for Legion on this one!

6. CrazyFanNumber8725

CrazyFanNumber8725 First Technician

Believe it or not, i don't like Camille too much.

I just chose this avatar because this is the closest I can get to being a Rimmer without cross-dressing.

(That, and i tend to do a lot of live-action role-playing... on my own... in front of totally normal people.... so i'm kind of a chameleon in real life...)

I'll say my favorite non-human is Holly.

7. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

I liked the psirens, enabled some fantastic guest stars to appear and Clare Grogan to return. Loved it when Jenny Agutter turned up.

8. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

We'll forgive you largely because of your cute name. I like the simulants. It just makes sense to me that one day we'll create something to fight our wars for us that turns on us.

9. ch

ch Catering Officer

I would count Holly as part of the crew.
    I can't think of a favourite at the moment.
    Although those creatures on garbage world (only in the books?) that fight each other were a briliant idea.

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Do you mean the giant cockroaches?

11. ch

ch Catering Officer

I don't think so. Didn't they (the garbage creatures) decent from humans?
    My memory's leaving me again.:x

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

As far as I remember the only creatures living on Garbage World when Lister arrived there were giant cockroaches. Later a polymorph or two turned up.

13. ch

ch Catering Officer

Yep, according to what I just found on rd.co.uk (yes Andrew, I actually used the search option;-), sorry about that, couldn't help myself) you're absolutely correct.8)
    And the combination of garbage and cockroaches makes a lot more sense.:lol:

14. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

What about simulants? They hate anything human? Do they have Earth oregon?

My favorite are Polymorph as the most interesting and Legion as most "creative"

15. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I don't know if they were literally made on Earth, but they were created by humans, yes. They are basically biomechanical soldiers created by humans who turned on their masters. Think of the terminator, and you're not far off.

I think they're my favourite baddies too, although I thought the gelfs were great too.

Concerning garbage world. According to the books, spoilers ahead, please highlight between the []:

[ The creatures you are thinking of were in fact gelfs. These gelfs were genetically engineered from human material, so genetically they were more or less human albeit many didn't look like it functioning as anything from a vacuum cleaner to a car or sofa. (Not to be confused with the gelfs who appear in Last Human. These were created from the mixing of animal DNA strands.)

When humanity left earth, the gelfs were either left behind or dumped there (I forget the specifics. This was due to a war between the humans and gelfs as the latter rebelled against slavery.) The gelfs gradually died off, only the strongest survived. The polymorphs evolved from these. (So the polymorph of the novels has a slightly different origin to the one from the guys from the series.)

At the time period that the crew found Garbage World, all the gelfs with the exception of the 1 polymorph were extinct. There were also a race of giant sentient cockroaches on the planet, but I think they had evolved naturally. ]

16. connell

connell First Technician

Spot on. They were created for a war that never happend, and when I didn't happen, they kinda just went roaming off round the galaxy pissing people off. I like that line of Krytens when Rimmer compares them to Droids. "Whats the difference?" "Well Sir, A Droid wouldn't rip off his masters neck and spit down it" Or something alone those lines.

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

"Well, the basic difference is that an android would never rip off a human's head and spit down his neck."

The series 3-6 Kryten had some wonderful lines. One of the reasons that I like the character from that era so much.

18. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

Thanks for explanation ;-)

19. peterrimmer

peterrimmer Third Technician

It's got to be Legion-that is some prison!

20. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

Yes, otherwise they'd have nothing to go between their washington and california.