Favourite episode from Red Dwarf X?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SoC00L_L, Oct 5, 2014.

1. SoC00L_L

SoC00L_L Third Technician

Hey guys! So hopefully we'll be getting more Red Dwarf soon but till then... which episode of the 10th series did you like the most? :-)

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Fathers and Suns, which made it into my all-time top 10. It had a lovely series 7-ish feel to it. I loved all the conversations, and even the much-derided Medibot and Taiwan Tony scenes, and the part with two Listers is my favourite Red Dwarf scene ever.

3. Hollo_Marx

Hollo_Marx Catering Officer

Lemons. The whole thing with Jesus, just cracks me up so much.

Father's and Suns is a close second though. Lister and his interaction with himself on the video is just a fantastic bit of writing.

4. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I'm not sure since I thought it was a pretty solid series overall, although Lemons and Fathers & Suns are my least favourite two of the series. I think probably Trojan for me, after so long without new Red Dwarf (except for Back to Earth) and despite going into it with feelings of trepidation initially, I thought it got the series off to a really good start and left me thoroughly relieved and looking forward to the rest of the RDX.

5. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I would also say fathers and suns was the best episode of the series, for me anyway, and I also liked lemons. I am against Simon here, I did not like Trojan one bit, and is one of my least favourite episodes of red dwarf ever.

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Them's fightin' words young Harry! ;-)

To be fair my biggest problem with Fathers and Suns is that it resurrected the whole thing about Lister being his own dad, which I've never been at all keen on. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably like it a whole lot more, but then it is rather central to the episode.

The humour in Lemons is good too, but it has just so many plot holes and basic, basic mistakes. Seriously Doug, it's the 21st century, would it have killed you to have used Google?

I'm curious, what was it that you disliked so much about Trojan?

7. Diet_coke

I think on first ever viewing I probably defended the episode, but I was most likely excited just to get a new series of red dwarf again and was eager to give the whole series a chance. However I didn't really think the plot for this first episode was very good and the humour was a bit weird to me.
    Much like you have suggested in your complaint of fathers and suns, the episode messes with a background story, this time of Rimmer and his brother. It was probably the biggest let down for the whole series, the interference with backgrounds for some of the characters.

8. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I have to agree with you there Harry, one thing I really didn't like in Trojan was the rewrite of the Rimmer family back story, although I thought The Beginning was the worse offender in that regard.

9. Diet_coke

Yeah, I'd have put the beginning as one of the more stronger episodes of the series too, but the re-write of rimmers father was like a big elephant in the room. Generally I liked the series, but the re-writes of backgrounds really bothered me a lot.

10. SoC00L_L

Sorry what are the plot holes and mistakes in Lemons?
    (I do realise this might ruin this episode for me forever but I am willing to take that risk :-D)

11. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

From what I can remember:

When they arrive in ancient Britain, why didn't they use power from Rimmer or Kryten? Rimmer has battery power and as parts of Kryten can be detached and operate independently he must have multiple batteries or internal power sources. If that was not possible for some reason why didn't they use any of the local fruit or vegetables to make the battery? Apples would have done the job easily (Along with a large number of fruits native to Britain or continental Europe) and they wouldn't have needed to make the long and very dangerous journey across the ancient world, even crossing the English channel would have been decidedly dicey at that time.

The Indian woman and Jesus having visited ancient Britain would have been no help with the language at all (And she is improbably well travelled for a peasant fruit seller...). English as a spoken language that would be at all recognisable to 20th century ears is around 1,500 years away at this point, even the "English" that was around after the Norman conquest a thousand years later is basically a foreign language to modern speakers. Many modern native speakers struggle even with Shakespearean/Elizabethan English if it isn't translated into modern terms for them. As a minor point as well, the Indian woman seems remarkably friendly towards the Dwarfers, considering as far as she's concerned they came from the same people who quite brutally killed her entire family.

The Roman Empire never reached India, so why were Roman soldiers chasing Jesus through an Indian marketplace? Even if the Empire had reached that far east, that's one seriously dedicated ancient Police chase that would pursue the son of a thief (Not even the thief himself, but his son) across practically the entire known world.

They'd also have about another 1,500 years to wait for the first examples of galvanised metal. Not a massive plot hole since the zinc is the important part for the battery and the steel/iron is irrelevant. Of course it's possible that Lister explained the process to a local blacksmith, but in that case why bother? Just buy the zinc and use it directly.

Jesus, son of the chicken thief, being able to read at all is highly unlikely, pretty much everyone but the ruling classes and established priesthoods were completely illiterate at this time. But he's able to read and understand a history book printed using an unfamiliar alphabet, an unfamiliar style and in a language which as said, wouldn't exist for well over a thousand years.

Bags pre-date recorded history. Not sure why Doug felt the need to make up that one, it wasn't even a particularly great pay-off at the end.

That's what I can recall right now, there may have been some more that I've forgotten but those are the main biggies (Plus a couple of less important ones) that stood out when I watched it through the first time.

12. SoC00L_L

Wow that really is a lot! :-D Thanks for explaining .. :-)

13. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I put it all down to them being in a fictional multiverse ;-)

Gag of the series - the moose gag, with which Cat steals not only the show, but the whole series. I can't remember laughing so loud or long at a joke before; I wonder what my neighbours thought :-D

As for episode, it has to be The Beginning. From the start seeing a young Rimmer at Io University, then crazy ol' Hogey, the Simulants (with hari kari scene), the very real sense of danger, and yes Rimmer's father reveal (especially that!), leading him to turn hero and save the day again. Just like he did when-

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

No problem, hope it hasn't spoiled too much for you.

If that works for you, then good luck to you, although it seems a bit of an easy excuse to me ;-) It also doesn't cover the stuff that's established in Red Dwarf as a whole or in the episode itself.

15. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Just sit me down and tell me a story for 30 mins that will have me laughing and I'm a happy bunny ;-)

16. SoC00L_L

It's okay, I think I'm still able to enjoy this episode and feel a bit smarter as a bonus ;D

17. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I'm broadly the same, but if every few minutes I find myself thinking "Hang on a minute, that doesn't make sense..." then that's going to affect my suspension of disbelief. If you're going to tell me a historically based story, at least try to get the history right.

18. Hollo_Marx

Hollo_Marx Catering Officer

So much in Red Dwarf doesn't make sense though. The time paradoxes, the ridiculous technology, the fact that the whole danged ship and everything on it didn't degrade at all even after 3 million years...

For me you HAVE to suspend disbelief to be able to enjoy ANY of Red Dwarf. The ridiculousness is part of it's charm for me. :-)

Them going back in time and having to travel several thousand miles to get some lemons where they happen to meet Jesus, is no more weird or unlikely to me than them finding a parallel universe where everything is the same except the gender roles are reversed and this somehow magically makes a biological male able to become pregnant AND deliver twins. ;-)

19. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Right, but the point to me is that most of that makes sense within the context of the episodes and the show as a whole.

Not what I'm getting at. I'm just as fine with the Rejuvenation Shower somehow being accidently incorrectly assembled into a functioning combined time-machine/transporter, because within the broader context of Red Dwarf that makes sense or at least as much sense as mutated developing fluid, so I'm fine with suspension of disbelief there.

But, the reasoning for the characters staying there and not beaming more or less straight back out does not make any sense at all, even taking into account the context of the episode. The reason they can have a conversation with Jesus at all does not make sense. The reason Jesus is chased and has to be taken with them back to Red Dwarf does not make sense. The reason Jesus decides to travel back again and sabotage Christianity at the outset does not make sense.

This could have been dealt with, reasons why for any of these could have been written into the story. If they have to be in a village in ancient India for the episode to work, why not have them beamed straight there? If they need to be understood, why not have Kryten conveniently discover a star trek type universal translator before they travel? Why did it have to be Romans that chased Jesus, it could have been angry villagers? Why not have Jesus watch a documentary rather than reading a book?

I guess this is why stuff like this irritates me much more than parallel universes, time travelling developing fluid or rejuvenation showers do. The latter all make sense in the broader context of the episodes and series, the stuff I've pointed out with regards to Lemons doesn't. There's no other episode of Red Dwarf that I can pick apart like this and not come up with sensible or at least reasonably plausible in-universe explanations for at least most of the plot holes and inconsistencies.

20. Diet_coke

Could it have been sorted out in the episode though? It's less than half an hour long and there already is an awful lot going on in the episode and having to be crammed in. I'd argue that these issues were perhaps left out because then there's too much to cram into less than half an hour. Im with hollo a bit on this one, red dwarf is going to be a bit daft where things simply don't add up. Sorry Simon.

Edit : I quite liked the episode for the adventurous idea of it all, it was whacky and there's a lot going on, it just came over as a lot of fun kinda episode.