Favourite episode, full stop

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Jun 15, 2016.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Here's a challenge for you all. We've had favourite episode from each series, but could you pick a single episode that you'd favour above all others? Imagine it as the old desert island dilemma if it makes it easier.

I'll have to give my answer some serious thought before I commit, but feel free to submit your own in the meantime.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

This one is extremely easy for me. It's the one that's always voted the best episode of Red Dwarf ever and topped the poll we did a few years ago. It's Back to Reality. This became my all time favourite from the first time I watched it back in 1992, and even my second and third favourites, Out of Time and Gunmen of the Apocalypse, have never come close to challenging it as my all time number 1. In fact, it's my favourite episode of anything ever. I don't even particularly like the scenes at the start and the beginning when they're not experiencing the group hallucination, but all the time that they are I find the episode endlessly fascinating. The scene in which the four of them are in the recuperation lounge and discovering their true identities is my favourite of all Red Dwarf scenes.

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Yes, BtR is a very strong contender for me too, but I'm still not going to commit just yet.

4. MissLee

MissLee Third Technician

Yep, for me it's definitely Back to Reality. The scene when they are running away "with the car" did it for me.

5. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I always liked Quarantine, Legion & White Hole. But committing to one...I'd say Quarantine!

6. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Balance of power.
    A great 'character' based episode which really explores the characters deeper for the first time in series 1, I feel.

7. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Well I just went through all the episodes to see if one would jump out. A few did, but I decided I just couldn't do it. And then I thought that rather silly in that I asked the question, so I feel obliged to pick.

Bizarrely this is an episode I never really liked up until the last couple of years, but I'm going to say The Inquisitor.

8. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

One episode only? For the rest of my life? Well, much as I love V and think it's Red Dwarf's most accomplished series, I'm going to have to go with one from II - Thanks for the Memory.

I find the relationship between Rimmer and Lister really touching here - I enjoy it generally in fiction when two people who don't get on put their differences aside for a time and 'share a moment' together (I don't mean in a rude way!). It would definitely cheer me up if I was on a desert island, plus I think an episode where they're putting each other down all the time might get quite wearing after a few years alone. Or am I taking the desert island thing a bit too literally?

9. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Maybe a tad, but the logic is sound.

10. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Quarantine.

Although my favourite episode tends to change. Tomorrow it may be Queeg. ;-)

11. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Tough one. The episodes that immediately spring to mind are Quarantine and Back To Reality and Gunmen, as they're iconic. But they aren't my favourite.

But I'll go with Out of Time. I love that episode. It's the peak of the 'story' where all four characters become genuinely heroic and the notion that you would see your future self as a sickening corrupt enemy is fascinating and something that everyone can relate to. Nobody notices their own corruption. The lines are great "Herman Goering is a BIT dodgy?" and for an episode full of darkness it has one of the funniest scenes - Rimmer's morale meeting at the start still makes me laugh out loud without fail.

For me it serves as the bookend for classic Red Dwarf, the Red Dwarf that was absolutely perfect. In many ways I still see Out of Time as the end, because in many respects it was. It's easy to see why they thought a movie was possible after this series, because this episode makes you believe these characters genuinely have real depth and have become movie-worthy. Rimmer finds his inner Ace, Lister takes lead, Kryten embodies humanity, and Cat finally achieves more than he's ever done by making himself mildly useful.

It's something which, sadly, I feel was lost over the course of series 7, 8, 9 and 10, which were enjoyable, but they weren't hitting that high note that Out of Time achieved.

12. Santa Paws

Santa Paws Flight Co-Ordinator

Dimension Jump. Ace Rimmer. 'Nuff said.

13. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Thanks for the Memory, all the way.

This is what I wrote about it in my pre-this-site days, when it placed second in the G&T staff's 2008 all-time poll:

14. Christmas Rubbish

Christmas Rubbish Flight Co-Ordinator

Remastered or original?

I do think Thanks for the Memory is one of the strongest remastered episodes of the lot!
    Better eary music and those awesome legs!

15. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Genuinely surprised at how many mentions this is getting. It's not a bad episode by any means, but it would rate way down in my list of episodes by preference (if I had one). I think my problem is the 'ageing and weight-gain' make-up - which is monumentally awful, so much so that it distances me from everything that's going on.

I'm sorry, I really don't see the appeal of this one.

16. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

It's a pretty solid second place for me, just behind TFTM. I absolutely adore it. It's funny and chilling in equal measure, and the threat of the crew becoming what they do is expertly played, because of how well we know the characters at that point.

Also, it's the episode that started my theory (later confirmed by Dear Dave) that they have Subbuteo sets aboard the ship.

17. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Thanks For The Memory is possibly my second favourite episode, funnily enough.

It's the insight into Rimmer's character and there are a bunch of lines that come out of nowhere and are still really funny. Rimmer answering Lister with "A big fat woman with thighs the size of a hippo's" is genius but it's all natural dialogue. Brilliant.

18. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

My son loves Subbuteo but we don't have any picket fences to go with it yet!

I'm more with Billy on this one in that I find the future crew so unappealing - both in looks and in behaviour - that I don't find this episode a comfortable watch. It still gives me the same uneasy feeling that I had when watching for the first time in '93, particularly with that ending - which I suppose was the response they were aiming for! I actually think it's a very good episode, but there are others I'd choose to watch above it.

Second favourite episode though? That's a tough one. Though I guess I don't need to decide in this thread!

19. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

My fave is obviously going to have to be Back to Reality too. It's a bit strange but when I first watched it back in 1994 when the VHS was released I didn't think too much of it and actually found it to be the weakest of series 5. Perhaps because it was a less conventional RD ep that is why I didn't find it so good and funny I don't know?

But when I returned to it in the 2000s I suddenly realised it's appeal. The humour in series 1 to 6 RD is exceptional but somehow in BtR it is even more sensational line for line (e.g. Billy Doyle, it's traffic control, car "chase" etc.). There was a time when I could quote off by heart a lot of the lines in the episode! So yes it is perhaps the funniest RD and the story of the Dwarfers having a group hallucination is right up there with the best too and impressively dark i.e. Humour from pain.

Thanks for the Memory and Out of Time are wonderful episodes of RD too. When I rewatched RD all the way through last year the former was my favourite of series 2 with its skilfully pieced together plot while Out of Time is probably the greatest time travel episode of RD with that ending and a great way for Rob Grant to bow out from RD. As others have said both have brilliant characterisation of the Dwarfers which I hope to see more of in the new RD material.

But I must say the other four of my favourite Red Dwarfs after Back to Reality in first are like the poll for best RD episode back in 1995 - Gunmen of the Apocalypse, Polymorph, Quarantine and Dimension Jump.

20. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

My favourite episode has to be Sdrawkcab (Backwards ;-) ) it was one of the first few episodes I watched and is so funny!

The bar room tidy, the Cat's visit to the bushes and the conversation in the dressing room! "A mugger jumped us and forced £50 in to my wallet at knife point" Hands down my favourite episode, with Timeslides a very close second!