Favourite episode, full stop

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Jun 15, 2016.

1. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Backwards may not be in my top 5 but yes I do agree it is a fantastic episode probably in the top 10 though not too many people on this forum rate it. Okay the backwards filming is a gimmick but Grant and Naylor don't half pull it off - it's just so funny. And yes the concept and the dialogue from it is superb - e.g. Likewise in the dressing room scene too..."Santa Clause what a b******!":lol:

There are simply so many great episodes that what would be a top episode of any other programme - Backwards - is only just in my top 10. But yes like I say Backwards is superb it's just there are so many incredible RD episodes.

Time slides is a great too but maybe a bit lower than Backwards in my top Red Dwarfs because I feel that Out of Time and Tikka to Ride are the better time travel stories. Still an excellent and brilliantly comic episode.

Series 3 when I have a run through Red Dwarf is usually my third favourite one behind 5 and 6. IMHO 3 is rather underrated on this forum though obviously other people's opinions are fair enough.

2. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Personally my problem with Backwards are the inconsistencies. For instance, how come the crew can pick and choose when the things they do happen backwards? They're acting and behaving perfectly normally, while everyone and everything around them is running in reverse, but then when the script calls for it, they can start doing things backwards at will.

As if!

3. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

I agree series 3 is rather underrated, not sure why as there are some great episodes within it but as you say, everyone has their own views. :-)

Yeah this is definitely a problem when re-watching and watching Backwards-Forwards. There are few plot points that don't make sense such as Rimmer and Kryten applying for their novelty act job, technically they would have been fired rather than hired and vice versa when fired. Similarly after having a Bar fight they were fired for they still went on to do a show. Also Lister and Cat technically returned the bike rather than stole it.

Bit funny when you think into it but still a good episode for gags :-)

4. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

At the time of writing my joint favourite episodes are Body Swap and Out of Time.

5. Turjan

Turjan Third Technician

Think I'll go with Dimension Jump because for me, Ace Rimmer being the flipside of regular Rimmer as the result of a single life choice never grows old :-)

6. mychemicaldwarf

mychemicaldwarf Second Technician

I need to do one per "seasiyon"...

I. Future Echoes
    II. Queeg
    III. Marooned
    IV. White Hole
    V. (tough one this) The Inquisitor
    VI. Legion
    VII. (purely for the munchkin song) Blue
    VIII. Cassandra
    IX. Rimmer Joins Metallica
    X. Entangled

7. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

Whaaaat? Your favourite in IX was Rimmer Joins Metallica? How uncultured, the obvious best episode of IX was "Lister the Hipster". I'll never forget that montage sequence where he goes down to the mall to buy some JNCOs and starts really getting into underground music like Dave Matthews Band.