Favourite episode outside the classic era?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Jarvio, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

Most people will agree that the show was always best during the classic era, which is series I-VI.

Series VII onwards has had more criticism, but just curious to know what everyone's favourite episode is from VII onwards.

For the sake of the rules of this little exercise, only choose one episode.

My choice is Stoke Me A Clipper. I found it to be a great Ace episode, loved the intro, loved the medieval part, and thought the episode as a whole was very emotional.

2. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Good question. I think I need to list them then have a think...

VII
    1. Tikka to Ride
    2. Stoke Me a Clipper
    3. Ouroboros
    4. Duct Soup
    5. Blue
    6. Beyond a Joke
    7. Epideme
    8. Nanarchy
    VIII
    1. Back in the Red part 1
    2. Back in the Red part 2
    3. Back in the Red part 3
    4. Cassandra
    5. Krytie TV
    6. Pete part 1
    7. Pete part 2
    8. Only the good...
    IX
    1. Back to Earth part 1
    2. Back to Earth part 2
    3. Back to Earth part 3
    X
    1. Trojan
    2. Fathers and Suns
    3. Lemons
    4. Entangled
    5. Dear Dave
    6. The Beginning
    XI
    1. Twentica
    2. Samsara
    3. Give & Take
    4. Officer Rimmer
    5. Krysis
    6. Can of Worms
    XII
    1. Cured
    2. Siliconia
    3. Timewave
    4. Mechocracy

3. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

My favourites from that list (in series order)...
    • Tikka to Ride
    • Stoke Me a Clipper
    • Beyond a Joke
    • Cassandra
    • The Beginning
    • Give & Take
    • Mechocracy
    In Series VII, I have a soft spot for Beyond a Joke but I think Tikka to Ride wins it for me.

I love timey wimey stuff and particularly stories which cover causality. Interestingly those themes come up in Cassandra and Give & Take too so it's not really a surprise that I'm fond of those episodes. Also perhaps unsurprisingly one of my favourite episodes of Series I-VI is Out of Time. It's for that reason I'm fairly excited for Skipper in the Series XII finale...

If I had to rank these episodes with my favourites from each series...
    1. Give & Take
    2. Mechocracy
    3. Tikka to Ride
    4. Cassandra
    5. The Beginning
    So it took a long while to get there (I've changed my mind several times while writing this post) but all things considered I think Give & Take is my favourite episode since Out of Time.

After watching Mechocracy I think it's a very close thing for the top spot there. I might even change my mind after re-watching both.

4. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

...I'm going to go with Cassandra... which I never would have guessed before I looked down the list!

5. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Cassandra is underrated. There's a lot of hate for VIII but that episode stands out for me.

6. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

I like Stoke Me A Clipper too, it's as good as many 'Grant Naylor' episodes in my opinion.

If I was picking one episode other than that from VII onwards it would probably be Give and Take. Just a really cool piece of television, innovative, funny and clever.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

This is an interesting question. There have been some bad episodes of Red Dwarf since the end of season VI (including some very, very bad episodes - especially in season VIII), but there have also been some really good ones too. In fact, some of my all time favourites come from these post-VI seasons. Twentica for instance is certainly up there in my all time top 10 - it really felt to me like the Red Dwarf of old - and there are some in season X that I'm really fond of. Meanwhile, Mechocracy certainly seems the kind of episode that I'll end up considering one of my favourites. However, my favourite from outside the first six is one that many hate: Duct Soup. I find it difficult to explain why I love it so much, but just as season VII as a whole has gone up massively in my estimation over the years, so has this episode.

8. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Duct soup!

I might have to add it to my watch list so I can figure that one out. I can't remember many lines from it apart from the one about the boys' favourite past time being going down to the laundry room to watch Kochanski's knickers spin dry.

9. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

Mine's Officer Rimmer. For the humour and Rimmer Monster alone I'd rank it as one of the very best episodes of Red Dwarf, classic era or otherwise. I see it as the perfect example why there's plenty of life in RD beyond series VI.

(I'm a big fan of Cassandra as well.)

dazsin likes this.
  10. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    Man...... I don't think I could pick just one. There's more than just a few great episodes there. "Officer Rimmer" is certainly top of my list, but so is "Casandra" and "Stoke me a Clipper". All really outstanding shows no matter what series they were.
    Now don't laugh but I just watched BtE the other night and the third episode of that wasn't all that bad.

11. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

While I thought they overdid it with the Blade Runner stuff, I like Back To Earth quite a bit. I remember finding that last episode rather emotional.

As for my favourite after 6? I'll need to think about it. Likely I won't be able to pick just one though. I can easily rank certain episodes the same in likability, and/or like them equally in different ways.

12. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    Exactly! And that's what makes it so hard to pick "a" favorite. Especially from as an extensive a list as there is to choose from here.

13. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Tikka to Ride (remastered and xtended)

Pembers likes this.
  14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I like the Xtended version (that final scene is great), but not the remastered.

15. Ant E

Why

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The remastered stuff is pointless and gaudy as far as I remember.

17. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Was Series VII ever remastered?

As far as I can remember Series VII and the extended scenes in that came out on DVD (or was it VHS?) at the same time as the classic series were remastered.

Just trying to figure out the difference.

18. Ant E

On the dvd they remastered tikka to ride. It looked much better. Best ignore Bluey he doesn’t know what he’s talking about bless him...

Abe likes this.
  19. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I do not think I've seen this remastered version...

20. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I have to say when I watched all the Red Dwarf episodes all the way through in order 2 years ago - when I got to the Doug Naylor pretty much solo years - I felt although the quality was not quite the same as when Rob Grant used to be on board, I still thought most of it was very entertaining and decent apart from a few dodgy episodes of course.

In fact there are a number of episodes that are there or thereabouts up there with the quality of series 2 to 6 IMHO.

For me these have to be Tikka to Ride, Stoke Me a Clipper, Epideme, Back in the Red Part 1, Back in the Red Part 2, Cassandra, Krytie TV, Fathers and Suns, Lemons, Twentica, Give and Take and Krysis.

Honourable Mentions must also go to Entangled, The Beginning and Samsara, possibly Officer Rimmer too. While Cured might grow on me even more and join the list I wonder.

I know I have chosen 4 series 8 episodes - three of which tend to be hated on here - but I personally really enjoy them, it's just the other half of series 8 is, I agree, terrible while Only the Good... is just okay, average RD. In the stronger half, I feel the stories are good enough while the comedy and dialogue - although very silly - are pretty much as sharp as the peak RD years.

In series 7, Tikka to Ride and Stoke Me a Clipper - with Rimmer included as still an official crew member - carry on where series 6 left off.

Series 10's Fathers and Suns is really funny, has a smart plot and maybe should have gone out first but I can see with The Beginning being last how there was meant to be a Rimmer family kind of story arc in the 2012 run.

Lemons I was not too keen on at first but now that I am really used to it, I think it is both highly funny and is a great religious themed episode of RD. Twentica, similarly took a second watch to grow on me but now I think it is like a really vintage series 3-6 style ensemble adventure, though I understand it is not too popular on here. Give and Take and Krysis also stand out very much. The mid-life crisis concept for Kryten is such a great new idea by Doug and he thoroughly milks it well for laughs while Butler is a superb guest actor.

But anyway my favourite episode of the post Rob Grant years has to be between Tikka to Ride and Give and Take, and the latter wins it. Tikka to Ride like I said is vintage series 6-esque RD while Give and Take has to be the finest since that 1993 series. Virtually every line is essential and funny - a water-tight script like the peak years - while the heavy sci-fi bootstrap paradox concept of the missing kidneys is just simply a sublime RD plot.

So yeah, Give and Take wins! Though I hope Mechocracy might rival it or get close to its level tonight!