Favourite Series Of Red Dwarf

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by seanyp94, Dec 6, 2014.

1. seanyp94

seanyp94 Third Technician

We've done topics on favourite episodes, but I was wondering what everyone's favourite series of Red Dwarf was?

My favourite series was III, as I feel it had some of the funniest and brilliantly written episodes, my favourites being Backwards and Polymorph.

How about the rest of you? What's your favourite series?

2. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

I'd say II then I. I don't go as much by number of funny lines, as how the situation and characters come across. I and II had a sense that it mattered a bit more than a sitcom, it was part real SF show too. In III, lots of funny lines, more in fact, maybe the best for lines, but mood was jettisoned for laughs.

3. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Series II, followed by Series I. Kryten and Queeg are superb.

Also love series VI as that had some brilliant episodes (Legion etc.)

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Series VI. I adore this series. I'm not a big fan of Psirens (though I still find it very watchable), but the rest of the episodes I could watch over and over.

5. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

I agree, III is really good but VI is the one I return to most often...8)

6. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I agree with all that, with a couple of exceptions; S1 then 2, and no to Kryten - can't abide the original mechanoid.

7. Hollo_Marx

Hollo_Marx Catering Officer

I can't decide between series III and series V. Series III has Thanks for the Memory, Marooned, and Bodyswap, which are all fantastic and some of my favorites. Series V has Terrorform, Quarantine, and Back to Reality which are all also fantastic, and also some of my favorites. Some great classic Red Dwarf moments are in each series. I might have to side with series V, just because of Back to Reality, but it's VERY close!

8. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Hey Hollo, what did you like about Back To Reality? The thing that made it extra special at the time was that it was shown as the last episode of the series, and we had a very real feeling that it was going to be the last one ever, what with the title and the way the story was going. But you didn't get that as you knew differently. Just keen to hear your thoughts really :-)

9. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Thanks for the memory is series 2 8)8)

10. Hollo_Marx

Hollo_Marx Catering Officer

Gah, meant to say Polymorph, not Thanks for the Memory. Forgive my brain, I was up at 5 am today. :-D

Even though I knew the whole bit about them just playing a video game couldn't possibly be "real" because there were still so many more episodes left, it was very interesting to find out what the heck actually WAS going on. The whole crew finding out who they "really" were and their reactions to their "realities" was fantastic to watch. Duane Dibbley in particular just KILLED me. Plus the eventual reveal of the hallucination and how it was handled, with Holly's voice making it through their haze, then cutting to them running around the ship looking like prats was just fantastic. The bit with them all sitting down together acting as if they're in a car chase, it's just comedy gold. I think it was brilliantly written, and it was fascinating to see some deeper issues hinted at on top of the comedy. I love how on the surface it's this silly comedy show, but then there are so many episodes that delve into things like the notion of self, our innermost neuroses, the darker sides to our personality, etc. I think Back to Reality is a prime example of Red Dwarf at it's best.

11. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Agreed :-) It's an additional element of the show I enjoy muchly. Both Rob and Doug studied psychology in uni, and I think they've put what they learned to great use on numerous occasions in RD. Here's an interesting fan article from 'Gazpacho Soup' you may be interested in. It's from 2012 but I only came across it very recently when looking for a particular Doug Naylor interview, as I've been thinking of writing a similar article myself. :-)

Psychology in Red Dwarf: Part 1

Unfortunately I've not been able to find a part 2 of this article.

12. simulant37

Pretty basic stuff, & it starts with an unmade episode! :roll:

13. Freeborn

Well, sure it may not be the most in-depth psychological analysis, but still worth a read, I think.

14. simulant37

But not in this thread...& sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...:roll:

15. Freeborn

[​IMG]

16. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but may I just jump in an answer too, by simply saying, Timothy Spall.

17. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Of course you may. And a good point too :-)

"What a twonk!" :lol:

18. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

My favourite "era" of the show is between III - VI. it was at it's undeniable peak then. Picking a favourite series out of those would be tough for me, but I think maybe VI edges it with V, IV and III all coming very close behind.

I do like I and II but wouldn't watch them as often.
    I like some episodes of VII and just a couple in VIII.
    IX is best forgotten in my opinion and X was about 60/40 split good/bad.

I believe the glory days of Red Dwarf are far behind it now, but I'm still a committed fan and shall continue to watch anything and everything new that may come out from the brand, be that XI or whatever else we may see. :-)

19. Freeborn

I'm still very partial to the first three series', but find it difficult to pick a definitive favourite, so I'll say series 2/3. I like series 5 and 6 and 10 a lot too though. There are no RD series' I especially dislike - though I like some much more than others. Series 8 and BTE being my least favourite.

20. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I'm genuinely surprised at how many people like series X. Not because I can't accept a different opinion to my own, but just because it was so utterly Un-Red Dwarf like. I'll never forgive Dave for pissing over this series.