Fear of a Red Dwarf Future?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by chuunch, Mar 15, 2009.

1. chuunch

chuunch Skutter

Hey guys, im new to the forum. Being a longtime fan i felt it was time to throw in my 2 cents and get your opinions. First of all im really looking forward to the specials, weve all waited far to long!! Anyways, from what ive seen and read, Back to Earth is shaping up nicely but is there anyone else that hopes that these 3 episodes will set a solid conclusion to the series? Although part of me likes the idea, i would rather not see a ninth series. Anyone else feel the same?

By the time series 8 finished, the show for me wasnt as funny or as interesting, i really enjoyed the cinematic direction of series 7 and was sorely dissapointed when it never returned 8. The final series was good but it ditched the sci fi for daft humor (Have a nice period remains to be the poorest joke in the shows history).

What im saying is, why not let the show go out in style? I hated the way series 8 concluded and although i strongly belive the specials will be of better quality, theres no way it can match the shows hayday..... i dont think doug has it in him.

2. johnfotios

johnfotios Skutter

I know what you mean. The series did change a lot - and I hope the directors have had enough time to realise the mistakes they made with series 8. They've had how many years to get feedback? Enough. Let's hope these specials leave a great end to Red Dwarf, or spawn into something more maybe? I just want to get my hands on a copy of the script!!!

3. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

I think before any real final decision can be made, we need to wait until these specials air. After all, who knows what will have changed after the lacklustre ending to Series VIII?

Sadly there is always the risk that if they get enough viewers (which they bloody well deserve to get!) then a new series will be commissioned more as a way of milking more money than in an attempt to provide a quality piece of programming. Hopefully this will not be the case of course, and if a series IX is made it will be of the sort of quality that Dwarf had in its prime.

That being said, I agree that it perhaps it is time to put the boys to bed with a bang, figuratively speaking. It's been over ten years since last we saw the boys from the Dwarf, and it is definitely showing. Some things are at their best because of when they were made, and it is better to enjoy them for that.

But, thinking about it, isn't there still Doug's intention for a movie? Or have I been under a rock too long and that's no longer a part of his plan?

4. CrazyFanNumber8725

CrazyFanNumber8725 First Technician

Maybe it's cuz i found the Dwarf only recently, but I want more!

Clearly things would have to change. There was as nice "spin-offs" thread in the garbage pod. Maybe a comic book?

My own un-popular idea was to somehow re-generate the characters like Dr. Who. I mean, what if Dr. Who ended after the first doctor left the sceene?
    It could be done...

true, it doesn't mean it should be done... and it depends greatly on who writes it... but...

While I don't like series 7 and 8 as much as i liked 1 through 6, I still want more. possibly in comic book form.

5. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Depends not only on who writes it but also who is cast to play each member of the team. All the cast interacted with each really well during the Dwarf we have (even during those years when everything Craig Charles did seemed to drive Chris Barrie absolutely mad), and all it would take was one wrong cast member to break that whole thing.

6. CrazyFanNumber8725

CrazyFanNumber8725 First Technician

Agree totally. Given how wonderful Dr. Who remake was these days, I'd be willing to give such a thing a go. Tho maybe a few years should pass before the official end and a remake?

What's the worst thing that can happen? it totally stinks, is dismissed by all RD fans as "not real RD", and provides fodder for jokes for a few years before being rightfully forgotten. Is that really SO much worse than having no hope of ever seeing anymore RD ever?

(I say we get Joshua Duroux from this board to play Lister! I have a feeling he'd be a natural.)

as for writers... maybe we can have an anonymous script-writing contest... Doug can enter too, of course :-)

(and no, i'm not saying that thinking I'll win... my immitation-Scouse isn't good enough)

7. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

It's a matter of opinion. This seems more like will it be like Series VIII than something different question.
    Your opinion is that Series VIII was bad. I can show you many people that loved it way more than the early grey Series. It doesn't make you wrong, it doesn't make them right. But when I see comments like "mistakes in Series VIII" I have to say something. The director didn't make any mistakes, it was his vision of what he wanted to look like. He didn't make the show to make the fans happy, and I'm sure this time, not even one second of thought was used on how to correct something that finished 10 years ago.

I don't need a big finish. It's a on going project. If people watch and the sales figures go up. And they make money. Which is a big thing in the world, I'm sure there will be more Red Dwarf.

8. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

That's a fair point really. I suppose it would go down in the annals of Dwarf history with Red Dwarf USA. I guess I'm just somewhat averse to a new cast though, after all I've been a Dwarfer for about two-thirds of my life and don't like to see things undertake such radical changes

9. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

We haven't even seen the new Specials and we've got rid of the cast! I love the optimism!

It's a new project. It's related to a show that finished 10 years. Take it one step at a time. Enjoy it for something new. Take no perceptions into it.

10. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

Its back, lets enjoy it and then lets get some more!!!!!!

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I can't understand why any Red Dwarf fan wouldn't want a series 9 after the specials. Surely it would be the best thing ever for most fans? I felt that series 8 was greatly inferior to all the previous series, but I'd still rather watch it than any other present-day sitcom. If a series 9 is at least as good as 8 I'll be happy.

Now the show has found a new home on Dave I'm hoping Dwarf will be around for many years to come.

12. h3lter

h3lter Second Technician

hear hear!

13. chuunch

chuunch Skutter

I can understand why a lot of people would love to see a ninth series. If it does actually happen, trust me ill be watching. Who knows, it has the potential to be really good, if the specials are anything to go by i may end up eating my words but i still believe things should come to an end. I hope the specials have a solid enough conclusion just in case a new series doesnt happen.I dont want the Red Dwarf name tarnished and milked for every penny. It happens quite a lot these days. For example the british version of the office had 2 series and one special and is considered classic, the american version however, while i consider it funny in its own right, is now over 100 episodes in. Its just crazy.

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

If Red Dwarf ever makes it to 100 episodes I'll be a very happy person.

15. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

I second that! This whole subject is insane! "fear of a Dwarfless feature" is more like it for me! Besides that, even if you disliked RD8 so much, did THAT tarnish RD for you? Obviously not, else you wouldn't be "fearing the future". If something is good, it'll carry through as being good, whether or not the sequels or what-not are. For example: I liked "Nightmare on Elm Street" 1 and 3. All the rest of the movies were pretty bad, though. Did that tarnish the "nightmare" name? Well i'll tell you this, those 2 movies aren't any worst now despite their smeggy sequels! Just like "Confidence and Paranoia" is not any worse because you've seen "Krytie TV".

Here's a brilliant idea:
    If you want Red Dwarf to end after "Back to Earth", then turn off your TV after the specials air. But PLEASE don't ruin it for everyone else by trying to cut the smegging thing off at its source!

Maybe instead of going on the OFFICIAL RED DWARF message board, (put in place by Red Dwarf's creators--or at least co-creator), and saying, "Aw god, please don't risk tarnishing Red Dwarf's name by giving its rabid fans more tasty television treats for them to chew on", you could say this:

Dear Doug Naylor,
    Thank You, Thank U, thank you! Thank you for your persistence and dedication in your wonderful creation of Red Dwarf. Thank you for not letting BBC2 get you down when they said "no" to more Dwarf. Instead you persevered and took it to DAVE, for which we are GRATEFUL! We look up to you and admire you for your continued dedication to Red Dwarf and for working your arse off in trying to pull the movie out of development hell. We would be eternally grateful if you continued making Red Dwarf forever (if possible).

Yours truly,
    Red Dwarf fan

ps. if you ever feel like writing another RD book, that'd be pretty cool as well. "Last Human" is my favorite one.
    pss. if you want to fly me to England and let me intern for GNP, that be doubly cool (ok now I'm just being silly)

16. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

Abso-smegging-lutely.:!:

17. ch

ch Catering Officer

Why would a ninth series automatically be milking Red Dwarf? I think we can trust the makers they do not want to do that.

18. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

For so many years I wanted a ninth series or a movie. Just when I gave up hope and began to feel good that they were not going to make anymore Red Dwarf, they smegging bring it back! :lol:

now I'm very excited, but in a way I do think it should end. I think the characters are a bit old now and really I don't want Last Of The Summer wine in space :lol: It would've been great if these were the last episodes with another 3 series and a movie inbetween the 8th series and now. But it wasn't to be. Even Only Fools And Horse ruined the whole thing by going out on some weak shows after they came back onw last time.

The real matter though is I would like to see more IF it's funny. I really wish that Rob Grant would have some involvement in the writing before Red Dwarf says goodbye forever.

I think series 7 and 8 tried too hard for gags, some jokes were like really dated comedey shows in the fact that they made me cringe. If Red Dwarf can stay away from that then ok. With series 7 the first episode was great, but the rest didn't match up. I seriously don't know if they can come up with 6 quality episodes anymore. I don't think Doug should bring in any other writers (apart from Rob if he wanted to return) and it's hard to do a whole series on your own.

19. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Peculiar - I rate Epideme as the best episode of series VII by a long way. It's far more of a classic Dwarf Plot.

20. Guitar

Guitar Third Technician

My only fear is that there isn't a series 9 someday. Hi all, first post.