Fear of a Red Dwarf Future?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by chuunch, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Originally, Lister was meant to be an older character. Now Craig Charles is the age of that original Lister. Besides, the characters of Red Dwarf have never been the most skilled, fittest high-flying members of the crew like in many other programme. Rimmer and Lister are the lowest ranking crew-members, one a lazy (if affable) bum, the other... well, he has issues. And that's not getting into the other quirky characters. If anything I think the ageing will just add to the comedy, if it's even a factor.

2. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Epideme was probably one of the better shows from 7 but I think by that time I'd been dissapointed by the overall feel of the series, maybe that colours it for me. Actually Nanarchy was ok as well, but I still remember watching Tikka To Ride and really laughing like the show was still the standard of season 6. Then Rimmer left, Kochanski came in and a lot of her jokes and also Kryten's jokes about not liking her became tired.

3. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I don't mean that age wise they're too old, more the fact that they've been playing the part for so long it's only a matter of time before it looks a bit weird. It's a bit like Sid James still chasing girls at the end of the carry on series, I just don't want it to look ridiculous with the characters acting exactly the same despite being older. Craig is obviously in his 40s now, so I don't know how long he could act like the same mid 20s lister. The Cat is the Cat, but if he was worrying about getting old and not looking as great, that might be funnier and more interesting than trying to make him look and act the same. If the writing is done well it can work. I think you've got to think what the character would actually be like in their 40s rather than just use the usual character templates. They spent about 6 series pretending lister was 25, they can't do that forever (I know he was 28 in series 7 and they say 9 years have passed so he would be about 37 or 38 now, but I hope the characters feel right for the age they make him)

By the way, nice to see a Dwarfer from Bromley :-D

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Heh, back atcha! Small world.

I agree a bit of character development taking the years into account would be welcome. Anyway, we'll see!

5. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

I find the idea of NOT wanting more and more Red Dwarf quite baffling. Bring on a Series 9!!!

6. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Well as long as it's good. If it carries on for another few series along the same standard as series 7 and 8, or even gets worse, what's the point? If it carries on at a high standard then that's different.

Also everything has to end and it's important to go out on a high. Only Fools And Horses had the perfect ending when the Trotters became millionaires, but people missed the show. So it came back for 3 episodes that were pretty poor in standard and were an anticlimax to the brilliant "ending" that had gone before. It would be kind of sad if they write the perfect ending to the Dwarfers quest but then mess it up by bringing it back and leaving on a low note.

I'm not saying now is the time to end, but hopefully when the last Red Dwarf is made, it will be a high.

I kind of hope that there is another high quality series and then maybe a movie in which Lister finally gets Kochanski, the Cat finds a world of Cat people, and Rimmer winds up in a universe where he replaces a Rimmer whose brothers were not as good as him and everyone loves him (but not Ace Rimmer again) Some fantastic ending to go out on.

7. chuunch

chuunch Skutter

Ok. im liking the debate so far, were getting a nice balance between people wanting Red Dwarf to end in the near future and those who want it to go on forever. Some people seem to have taken my comments quite harsh and for that i can only apologize. As for "Fear of a Red Dwarf future" keep in mind its only a title and it grabbed peoples attention lol.

I would really like it to go out on a high, i could accept a ninth series, maybe a tenth but id want to see a solid conclusion and the quality of at least series 7 (8 had its points but it was even more hit and miss).

Does anyone ever wonder about the budget on these specials? I reckon were going to see the majority of the story played out on earth in order to save money on effects and sets. Doesnt really bother me, its been ten years, im just happy its back atleast one more time, plus hopefully we'll finally find out what happened to the ship and its remaining crew after Rimmer kicked death in the balls!!!

8. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

I couldn't ever imagine Red Dwarf being so bad that I didn't like it.
    Even though I wasn't as keen on series 8, I was over the moon when it said: To be continued...
    Little did I know :roll:

9. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

If it's good, we won't be able to get enough of it. No one's going to watch a great "Back to Earth" and say, please don't make any more. If they're prepared to make more great RD, none of us is going to say, please don't.

I want it to be good, and I want to see eventually Lister and Kochanski on their honeymoon at the Ganymede Holiday Inn (from older Lister's perspective), just like it's supposed to be. If they leave that out, then this had better not be their final return to Earth.

10. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

Series 7 and 8 were fantastic shows compared to anything else around - in my opinion not a patch on series 4-6 (my personal favourites).

Surely if a series 9 was made - and it was of similar quality to 7 or 8 - that would still be a good thing?? When did we last have the last decent comedy programme made in the UK? Extra's, The Office...Phoenix Night, thats about it.

11. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'd add Max and Paddy and The It Crowd to that. I really liked Garth Marenghi's Darkplace too, but that's an acquired taste.

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Thinking of The IT Crowd, I really liked Father Ted too, but I didn't count it as I was listing British programmes.