Female Hologram..!!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by dazsin, Mar 4, 2009.

1. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

No I never made that connection either!
    I just thought it was Rimmer just trying different uniforms in an attempt to look more official!!

2. Cappsy

Cappsy Second Technician Fan Club Team

What on Earth are you on about?

[EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to reply to this post... Ignore me.]

3. PaddyC84

PaddyC84 Second Technician

I wasn't making the issue out that she is a woman specifically, it's just that the show is about the 4 guys on their own, then it felt weird when there were only three, then Kochanski came on board and it's fair to say that many didn't warm to her at all. We enjoyed it much more when it was the 4 guys on their own. Changing the line-up, whether it's another man or woman would just be rocking the boat. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm glad Kochanski isn't back, but whether this new addition was a male character or a female one, I'm still just as anxious to find out what sort of role is planned for her... will she be staying for long or into the possible 9th series (please God) or is she just for these specials. And also, is she going to be as annoying as Kochanski? That's what I was trying to say. :-)

4. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

The hologram outfit thing I always saw as deliberate - especially since Rimmer goes from red to blue when Legion converts him to hard light, and there's no other plot reason for that change.

Objecting to the arrival of this character on the basis of finding Kochanski annoying baffles me, though. This is a very different set of production circumstances...but even if it weren't, would you have reacted this way to a shot of, say, the hologram Camille in 1991? Or a picture of the female simulant in 1993? Better to wait and see how she fits in - or, at least, base expectations on more than a single (very different) experience.

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

As far as we know, she might just be a guest character anyway. But even if she isn't, lets see how she does.

(Mind you I quite liked Kochanski.)

EDIT-
    Oh, ok. Andrew beat me to it.

6. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

I am pretty sure he does the same in 'Gunmen of the Apocalypse', he is in Red at the start and Lister tells him to turn on his hard light drive when they decide to go into Kryten's dream and he is in blue in the next scene for picking the characters in the AR machine.

7. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

8. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I like that explanation. The flashback is coloured by Lister's own perceptions.

10. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

Listen to this dude James, he knows what he's talking about!

11. Mermaidman

Mermaidman Skutter

IMO this could be a attempt to replace Kochanski with a new female actress without just replacing Chloe I am very much looking forward to see the new dynamics between the new cast member amd the regulars :-)

12. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

Can she be hologram version of Kochansky?

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

No, the new character's name is Katerina.

14. Whizzkid

Whizzkid Catering Officer

Ahh, a nemesis for the mix. Now that will make plenty of laughs. By the way I wonder if there's a cameo from Mr Flibble?

15. IronMaid666

IronMaid666 Third Technician

yeah you imagine the the first line i recon it would be "mr flibble is very cross!!"

16. CrazyFanNumber8725

CrazyFanNumber8725 First Technician

Finally! I manage to log in and post my own snazzy comments!

My first thought is... wow, now i got something to dress up as to a RD convention -- besides Trixie LaBouche that is! But then i realized all my jokes about tatooing a "H" on my forehead have just lost their meaning :-(

Given how similar the 2 holograms look... I'm wondering if they are in fact made for each other. I can see it now... after a lot of emotional issues on Rimmer's side, they finally stat to get together...
    ...only to have Ace Rimmer come back and whisk her away.
    And not just any Ace Rimmer... the Ace who was the original Rimmer and became a poor imitation of Ace in Series seven, Stoke Me a Clipper. (I've always wanted to see how THAT one turned out, LOL! outside of Listers's -- metrosexual -- dream that is.)

Nah, I know whatever's gonna happen will be better than that, but I DO miss the old not-hard-light holograms. It's just totally great when Rimmer was just a personality and couldn't actually DO anything. That in itself was a brilliant joke.
    And for the female not to upset any balance -- soft-light hologram would be perfect! No one could get their hands on her ... and Rimmer wouldn't count cuz he's Rimmer. They'd have to treat the woman as a personality....
    so there wouldn't have to be any romances to upset the balance of guys-alone-in-space who play various video games way too often.

I'm gonna save my femminst diatribe for a whole nother thread, possibly titled "annoying women: kochanski and me". I LIKE the Red Dwarf women... the only other ones I've ever liked were FireFly women.

17. admuz

admuz Second Technician

Oh wow weird thought. Lister and the Cat could indeed get their hands on a hard light hologram and, you can't deny, they would definitely want to get their hands on Katarina. But what a completely wrong relationship that would be! :shock:

18. CrazyFanNumber8725

CrazyFanNumber8725 First Technician

Oh wow weird thought. Lister and the Cat could indeed get their hands on a hard light hologram and, you can't deny, they would definitely want to get their hands on Katarina. But what a completely wrong relationship that would be! :shock:[/quote]

Now that you mention it, "Cat and Katerina... sitting in a tree... S. N. O. G. eye-enn-gee!" has a nice ring to it.

19. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

If u remember the parallel universe version of Lister seen in Series 7 episode Ouroboros was a Hard-Light hologram whilst Kochanski survived so it's been done in the series before!

20. admuz

admuz Second Technician

Aye, hadn't thought of that. Though my initial thought of hologram Lister always seems to be that he was gay because of the scene in Duct Soup! Then I remember it was just a story to distract our Lister from claustrophobia :roll: