Filming Locations on Streetview

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Strat-tastic, May 31, 2016.

1. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Following on from an interesting discussion which started here, I thought I'd start a separate thread to see what we can turn up :-)

I'll start us off with what used to be They Walk Among Us from Back to Earth, now called Raygun.

Any more?

2. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I'm glad someone started this thread! Looks like it's still a comic shop then.

I did some extensive research (*cough* 5 seconds on IMDB *cough*) and discovered that the interior of Legion's spaceship was filmed here.

Marco Polo House in Battersea. Unfortunately it was demolished in 2014 :-(

3. Callisto252

Another sad loss as the original home of Red Dwarf BBC Manchester Oxford Road is destroyed (I imagine the observation dome music playing in the background to this video).

Oh but mustn't forget the Streetview!
    Now it looks like this. It's a smegging car park!!!

4. Callisto252

5. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Here's the beach at RHYL where better than life was filmed.

6. Callisto252

How on earth did anyone think that could pass for a beach in paradise?!

Xanadu (and interior courtyard).

7. Strat-tastic

8. Callisto252

They put it in the lake :shock:

[​IMG]

9. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

His bladder must be well knackered!

10. Callisto252

:lol:

It's actually a statue of Colin Firth as Mr Darcy, 'Pride & Prejudice' was filmed there too. Personally, I think the statue of Lister peeing was more tasteful (I mean look at his face, just look at his face!! Brrr.)

11. Callisto252

Just a couple more (clearly I've had too much time on my hands this week!). Following on from the last post, here is the lake from Pride and Prejudice World (sorry, couldn't get a Streetview image - it's Hawley Lake near Farnborough).

And here is Sunbury Pumphouse - location for the Justice Zone and also scenes in 'The Inquisitor' and 'Quarantine'.

12. Strat-tastic

Keep them coming :-D

Lovely lake.

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

This is an interesting thread, and it makes me wonder why we've never had a discussion like this on the board before (or if we have I've forgotten it). It's disappointing to find that quite a few of these places now no longer exist. They're a little piece of real-world Red Dwarf history that's now been lost forever. I even felt a bit of disappointment to find that They Walk Among Us has been renamed.

Although it appears in Red Dwarf for only a few seconds, City Tower in Manchester city centre is at least one place that is still in existence. Having seen the building a number of times in real life I recognised it when watching Backwards way back in the 1990s (during the scene where Rimmer and Kryten are wandering around the city). Here's how it appears in the episode (filmed in 1989:-(

[​IMG]

I find street view too difficult to navigate on this computer, so here's how it looks today in an image I found on Google:

[​IMG]

14. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I was just thinking the same. Odd that we've not done something like this before. It's a
    great idea for a thread though and I'm enjoying looking at the locations.

Good thinking Mr Strat, sir. :-)

Here's the official website for Laredo (the little Western town used in Gunmen of the Apocalypse. It has a nice little Picture Gallery. nice to see our Bobby feature in one of the photos.

And for anyone interested here's an article about Laredo (with some additional photos) from about a year ago. Seems it's still standing strong and has been expanded upon. :-)

ps: I tired to embed some of the pics from the article but for some reason the forum is telling me they're too big despite being within the limited size capacity.

15. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

I've nothing to add but it's a brilliant idea and I've loved looking at all the different places fab:-D

16. Callisto252

Great to see the Laredo pics, I tried to find that on Streetview but it only came up as a couple of buildings in the distance (not a surprise really, I guess the whole idea was to get as far away from the modern world as possible).

And good call on the Manchester pics Bluey. I've found the Streetview image for the backwards traffic further down the street here.

I've just noticed something really interesting (well it was interesting to me!). I'd been trying to find the first backwards traffic street and been struggling to get a fit, then I realised that, of course, they flipped the shot here and everything's back to front. So it's this street. But they didn't do that for the other traffic scene - everything's clearly the right way round. Does this mean that there's possibly a ...mistake... in 'Backwards'??

17. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Yeah I first looked on Streetview, I was hoping we'd be able to take a virtual walk through it but alas that was just wishful thinking, so I thought it worth linking to some official pics instead. :-)

A mistake in 'Backwards'!? Perish the thought! The episode is pure perfection and totally free from mistakes and continuity errors! ;-)

But in all seriousness, yeah, well spotted. :-)

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Well done on finding the traffic shot location on Aytourn Street, Callisto. I was trying to find the location of that shot myself, but as I said above, my computer doesn't tend to get along with Google Maps so I gave up pretty quickly. I had a feeling that it would be somewhere near to the City Tower, and I see now that it was very close indeed. In fact, the screenshot I posted above must have been filmed either from the same street or from the adjoining one.

Rewatching the footage from Backwards, you can see that so much has changed in the twenty-seven years since the episode was filmed, but the street is still very recognisable. Actually, the main thing that strikes me is how old-fashioned the cars look in Backwards. It's amazing how different vehicles look nowadays - apart from the black cabs, which look exactly the same as the ones in the episode.

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's really lovely in the snow - and somehow even more authentic looking.

20. Callisto252

In some ways 1989 seems like yesterday - so brightly-coloured in my memory, but in film footage everyone and everything looks drab! I do love those old Manchester buses though. I suppose the most striking change is the introduction of the tram lanes, I've not been in the city centre for about 20 years so I've never seen them.

OK, there's another scene in 'Backwards' which is puzzling me - the scene where Lister comes out of the lake (and all the others in the woods around it). On this very site there is an interview with Mike Agnew, in which he says the following:

"Craig, of course, had to do a backwards-walk into the lake, because he had to be dry when he came out. We filmed that at Lime Park Lake in Liverpool - we shot quite a lot in this one big park."

I've looked and there is no Lime Park in Liverpool. There's Sefton Park and Newsham Park but none of their lakes look big enough. I thought he perhaps was getting confused with Lyme Park in Cheshire where they filmed parts of 'Timeslides', but the interviews on the series III documentary suggest that it was definitely in Liverpool (the part where it tells how Craig and Danny took one of the hire cars and drove round the city). Can anyone else solve this mystery?