Filming Locations on Streetview

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Strat-tastic, May 31, 2016.

1. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Yes, you can't see all that English mud!

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, I'm sure that's part of it. Those snowy pictures though...they really do look as if they could have been taken somewhere in the USA.

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

For such a potentially lucrative attraction, their website is awful. Whoever runs it needs putting in the stocks so folk can throw rotten tomatoes at them.

Check out this from their location page:

:shock:

4. Callisto252

I like that they have worked with "many famous people and film companies of all sizes" (conjures up some amusing images). Also enjoyed "the film called (Finding Never Lands)", "Lionel Blare", the fact that they have "over 38 years of experience" (stated elsewhere to be 45 years), and some programme called "RED DWARF TWICE". Crazy!!

5. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Red Dwarf Twice eh?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :rubschin:

6. Callisto252

Here's another one I thought of - parts of Psirens were filmed here. Bankside power station at the time, now the Tate Modern (I found a nice industrial-ish view, but there's probably nothing left of the episode's actual backdrop).

Do you think the white monolith in the centre is one of the exhibits, or is it perhaps an enormous light switch? ;-)

7. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

8. Callisto252

Sachas Hotel also appears to have a wood-panelled dining room:

[​IMG]

You can't really tell from that pic, but it seems likely that the Admiral scene was filmed there also.

Something else I've noticed - the scene with Rimmer and Lise Yates from TFTM is filmed in exactly the same spot on the golf course as the 'banana bomb' scene (note the wooden sheds by the water). Don't think you can see it on Streetview though. Think it might be around here.

Right, I really must go and do something more productive now!

9. Callisto252

Think I've finally found the 'Backwards' lake - it's at Tatton Park near Knutsford, but this is the only Streetview image I could find.

Guessing that some of you may not be convinced, if so then watch this annoying video about 15 seconds in. I've checked the background and it completely fits, even down to the road that runs on the other side of the lake (you can see a car drive down there in the scene with Kryten and Rimmer). Phew, that's been bugging me since about 1990!

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I think you may well have found it. I admire your dedication, Callisto.

How did you manage to narrow it down to Tatton Park?

11. Strat-tastic

Stellar work there Callisto! Do you think the roads there were also used for the hitching a ride and stealing a bike scenes?

EDIT: Hmm maybe not, they're not really roads as such, at least not on the pic.

12. Callisto252

I think they probably did film all those scenes there. In the interview with Mike Agnew (that I mentioned in an earlier post) he says they filmed a lot of scenes in one big park - and it is very big, with woodlands and more formal park-like areas. I reckon the Nodnol sign could have been somewhere along that track in the picture. Wonder what they filmed in Liverpool though - the pub scenes?

I lived in Manchester when I was very young, and I remember the two places you'd go for a day out/school trip round there were Lyme Park and Tatton Park. I don't actually remember going there, though I have a Tatton Park ruler with my name on which I still use! I'm surprised I didn't think to check it out earlier. The only real mystery is why they didn't use Tatton Hall for Lister's mansion in Timeslides, as it's quite similar to Lyme Hall.

13. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Victor Meldrew's House...

HERE

14. Callisto252

So it is :-)

A couple more from Back to Earth.

[​IMG]

Pricesmashers (John Lewis, Kingston:-(

[​IMG]

Oh, and of course:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Strat-tastic

16. Callisto252

17. Strat-tastic

Touché! :lol:

That's more on topic than mine; at least it's spelt right :-D

18. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Great find. That shot 15 seconds in is when Lister emerges from the lake. You can clearly see, though, that the bank has been reinforced (in the episode it's a natural slope into the water)

19. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Just getting back to Laredo for a second. Does anyone know if the saloon interiors were a tv studio set, or were they shot at Laredo too?

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The inside of the saloon was filmed in a studio. This is mentioned in the Return to Laredo documentary on the season 6 DVD.