Final Verdict of RDX?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Nov 8, 2012.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Decent series, quite a few flaws surround the series sadly :?

Let's hear yours?

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I liked it a lot. Six very diverse episodes and a return to form in characterisation, acting and humour. It compares well next to the first four series without quite reaching the heights of 5 and 6, and is well ahead of 7, 8 and 9.

3. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Overall a below average series, not as good as 1-8 but better than 9

4. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Good series that had too many flat bits, only the great lines for the cat saved it.

5. Deviblue

Deviblue Second Technician

Really? Were you guys watching the same episodes I was?

I actually felt thats the best it has been in a long long time.
    Only flaw for me was the slight panto acting Chris slipped into in a couple of the moments.

6. ben996

ben996 First Technician

We all have a unique opinion :-)

One of the major flaws was never, in the past 24 yrs have RD mentioned racism, even on the commentary's on the DVD's the cast have alluded to this, saying that despite having 2 black characters never once does the show mention race, colour nothing, as if to say maybe in 3 million years racism doesn't exist? And then one of the episode's plots was about racism, and whether Chinese whispers was racist, now yes this doesn't mention colour it alludes to racism, and yes I am not a racist person and I believe the only way to stop racism is to stop talking about it.

But I'm glad that you enjoyed the series so much :-)

7. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Seeing how disappointed I was with Back To Earth, coupled with the very low expectations I had going into watching this new series, overall, I have to say I'm pretty happy with it. The series did start strongly with "Trojan", but started getting weaker by the mid-way point, reaching it's low point with the mostly absymal "Dear Dave". The last episode however, was, a couple of minor flaws aside, a fantastic episode, and I have to say, bodes well for a future 11th series. :-) As someone who thought the series was just about dead after BTE, I'm very happy at how the show has managed to ressurrect itself.

As for how it fares with the other series'... well, it's not as good as series 1-6, and I won't pretend it is otherwise. But overall, it is better than everything that came afterwards.

8. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I think it's how series 2 would have been if it was filmed in 2012, and for that it is to be commended :-D

9. Stirmaster

Stirmaster Third Technician

A return to form. Though F&S, Dear Dave and Trojan weren't up to snuff, the other 3 more than make up for it.

10. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

In a word, underwhelming.

I had high hopes, but apart from some jokes and scenes, it fell mostly flat to me but could easily be improved with better scripts, pacing and performances in series XI.

11. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I would say, as a whole, it probably sits as my third favourite series behind 5 and 6. There's a distinct drop in quality with some episodes (though, given the circumstances around the filming, that's perhaps forgivable to an extent) but The Beginning and Trojan could have easily sat in with 5 or 6.

Overall I'd give the series an 8/10.

12. AJ Smeggnog

AJ Smeggnog Second Technician

I've loved RDX, and personally rate it above series I, VII, VIII and BTE. Sure, I wouldn't say it was II-VI standard (which we can all agree is pretty darn high), but as long as the Dwarfers are on Dwarf dwarfing their way through time and space, it's all good by me!

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

im not fond of dougs star trek style universe that he is building up, while series 1 - 7 were pretty much just the main 4 or 5 crew members but its now becoming like friendly andriods, beggs and whatever

i know series 6 and 7 done this doug taken it a step further like an excuse to bring in gueststars that the crew don't even seem shocked to encounter

14. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I found it varried in quality, Trojan was good, The beginning pretty good also. Fathers and Suns was fairly good, Dear Dave and Entangled were average and Lemons was awful.

Overall it was about the level of series VII, though series VII has one or 2 episodes that were much better than anything from this, they also had several that were way worse.

I think there's only really 2 or 3 epiosed from series 10 that I would watch agains and again

15. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

It had my overall favourite episode since "Gunmen.." in "Entangled" (though I DO have a soft spot for Cassandra too...) so that alone makes it worth the asking price. (When I buy the DVDs of course ;-) )

I greatly enjoyed 5 eps this series and with only Dear Dave I'd rate as average to boring....

16. Angelic_Storm

Generally speaking, I would go along with that, although I would say "The Beginning" is on a par with the best episodes from series VII. And it might just be the best episode of Dwarf since "Out Of Time", for me. And I'd certainly have no qualms putting "The Beginning", (and maybe even some of the better X episodes like Trojan) over the weaker episodes in the first 6 series, like "Holoship", and "Stasis Leak". I also disagree with the general opinion that "Lemons" is a bad episode. I prefer it to both "Entangled" and "Dear Dave", which coincidentally, I think are on a similar level to the worst moments in series VII and VIII. Especially "Dear Dave".

Overall, series X is weaker than the first 6 series, though it's a close call whether or not it's better than series VII. I think I'd give it very marginally to X, and it is definitely better than series VIII and BTE.

17. Dsnow_con

Dsnow_con Third Technician

Pfft, Stasis Leak is a classic! ;-) A good friend and I still reference "It's always whiiiiiiine" and crack up.

Anyway, this series was hit and miss, but it had enough hits to make it worth while. Although not as good as the classic stuff, it was had some great gags and did capture some of the feel and vibe of what made the show special in the first place. There are quite a few flaws I wasn't really happy with so while it's not going to be one of my favorite series I am glad it happened and would love to see some more.

18. Angelic_Storm

It's a good episode of course, but I've always rated it as the 2nd worst episode in series II, with only "Parallel Universe" being worse than it. But... we all have our favourites I guess! :-)

Couldn't agree more with you though about your assessment of series X though. "The Beginning" is the only episode in this series that was front-to-back a classic episode. But most of the other episodes to a greater or lesser extent, did capture the essence of classic Dwarf. Which was something I didn't think was possible before I watched anything from this series. Overall, it isn't as strong as series I-VI, but there was certainly enough goodness in it to make me glad the series was made, and actually now, I would like to see more Dwarf made. Whereas after BTE, it wouldn't have bothered me if they never made any new Dwarf. So, I'm back on board for some new episodes, so mission accomplished Doug!

19. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I wouldn't say it was racist. Chinese Whispers is not a racist game, and to me Taiwan Tony was a background character who just happened to be Taiwanese. I don't recall, other than his accent (which is to be expected from a Taiwanese vending machine) any other racial elements about him. Had he been a Scottish vending machine (after all, what happens to all those irradiated haggis?) he'd have had a Scottish accent. I see nothing wrong with characters having an accent depending on where they're meant to be from. No, the problem with Taiwan Tony, for me, is that he was in a plot thread which was just plain annoying.

In any case, my opinions on Red Dwarf X. I will give one quick proviso:

I have not seen episode 6 yet.

That said, I think it's been a great return to form. There are problems, yes. From the first five episodes, in my opinion there's been two great ones (Trojan, Entangled), one good one (Fathers & Suns - must watch it again) and two mediocre ones (Lemons, Dear Dave).

But they've somehow got it right again. The episodes that weren't that good may not have been that good, but they were the RIGHT sort of not that good. I don't recall any part of the series (so far that I've seen) which had the strange, unsettled drama and sci-fi mix of series 7, or the annoying and immature elements of series 8 (again, all my opinion). No, these definitely feel more geared towards series 1-6. So, with that in mind, I'll go through the five episodes I've seen and what I like and dislike about them.

Trojan - great plot, though unsure I liked Howard being Rimmer's equal. I feel that Rimmer's family should always be his betters. With that said, some good gags (I liked the moose, and the chair control).

F&S - I never liked the "Lister is his own dad" plot but this handled it as well as it could be. Pree was a mix - good concept, but I feel her delivery was too serious (though it's supposed to be like that). Vending machines and the medi-bot were annoying and unnecessary. That said, I should rewatch this as it did have some good moments and some good plot elements.

Lemons - a decent plot and a great India set, but that's all I can say about this one. Jesus was "meh". No serious jokes (though I think they probably wanted to stay clear of "jokes about Jesus" a bit). Rimmer electing to hold Jesus' penis - and with enthusiasm - didn't sit well, and I'll go into that later.

Entangled - great, pretty much the same as Trojan and for the same reasons. The plot did a lot, some good writing and some good jokes. Not quite as good as Trojan in my opinion in terms of jokes, but still pretty good. Though I expected Kryten/Cat to get annoying, it was used just the right amount.

Dear Dave - this episode should have been done in series 1/2. It's definitely that flavour - the crew on the ship, living their everyday lives. And it is definitely brave to do such an episode, but with the cast as they are it didn't quite sit well. I got the feeling that a lot of it was filler, though Lister taking the vending machine around the corner was a good little selfless moment. Also, Rimmer again not acting "Rimmer-like".

So, finally, Rimmer. Thinking about this, I would have to say that Rimmer, overall, is my favourite character in Red Dwarf as he's written so well to be so pathetic. That being said, there have been two stand-out points in these episodes of series X that he hasn't been. Rimmer should be cynical, scheming, manipulative, and most of all, condescending. Upon being offered the job of holding Jesus' penis, he should not exclaim "this is the highlight of my career!" with a huge smile. He should cajole Lister into doing it, or simply say "it's Jesus - it's not like he uses the damn thing!".

And, in Dear Dave, he spots what appears to be Lister and the vending machine "together", whereupon he basically punches the air in joy and watches like a small child when his favourite cartoon starts. In contrast to basically the same thing in Polymorph, he knows what is happening is misinterpreted and wrong and puts Lister down for it.

This does sound rather negative, so I'll list what I've found good about the series. The model shots look great, and it is refreshing to see models again. Again, I haven't seen episode 6 yet, but in a series XI they should be a bit braver with what is done with them (though from clips of episode 6, it looks like I may have to retract those words). The sets too are brilliant - just the right feel of old-and-worn in the bunk room, and the drive room, whilst small, looks great. The characters also look good - basically as they were. Even Rimmer somehow looks younger and, to me, more like he was in series 1-8 as opposed to BTE. And in the plots where lots of different off-ship sets were used, the plot flowed between them well and the sets looked good - especially the India set (though next time, less lighting on the space station would be good, to try and make it a bit more worn-down - imagine something like the SS Esperanto from Back To Reality, or the research station from Quarantine - though I imagine those were old factories instead and so the studio audience wouldn't have been there).

Overall though, I would say that Red Dwarf X has been a success. The episodes may not have been completely stand-out great, but it does show that good - and even great, in some places - Red Dwarf can still be made and I look forward to more.

20. RobeH56

RobeH56 Third Technician

A lot of good stuff and bad. Overall, was left feeling very positive about it. AND - most importantly, really - Red Dwarf is funny again. Light years ahead of Series VIII and BTE.