Final Verdict of RDX?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Nov 8, 2012.

1. paul_lc_2003

paul_lc_2003 Skutter

Summing up the series in one word, I'd say it was solid.

At the very least, better than VIII on the whole. At its best, on a par with perhaps some of the episodes from the first four or so series. It doesn't match up to the overall strength of most pre-VII RD - which was always going to be tough - but it has its moments, enough to stand its ground, and is a good series in its own right.

It's difficult to pick a favourite episode because they all have different strengths and flaws...

- Trojan: a very good main plot, a less convincing B-plot.

- Fathers and Suns: two great linked strands in Pree and especially the highlight that is the Lister-Lister scene, but let down by the bot and the awful out-of-place vending machine C-Plot, which was the low point of the series. A divided episode of real contrasts.

- Lemons: solid; one of the few that seemed consistent in quality throughout. Didn't really 'peak', but at the same time was the first ep where I came away with no real negatives. Re-use of the S2 Kryten incidental music cue was a lovely extra; I immediately recognised it.

- Entangled: an eventful episode - good amount of exploration, some clever ideas. Just not sure about the music during the climax; I thought that was too overbearing for the scene. On the whole, this was actually a pretty great ep.

- Dear Dave: an early series feel with the mail arrival and connected plot, which was its best quality. The main cast dialogue was better than the vending machine business IMO - but at least in this case, none of the latter stuck out like a sore thumb, and was enjoyable enough!

- The Beginning: a really good, interesting final episode. Opportunity for both action and a real sense of threat, and a true showcase of model shots. Loved the opening scene idea, an especially strong start. The climax - with a risky plan to hit the targets, and by essentially making them backfire - just vaguely reminiscent of a bit of a White Hole / Inquisitor mix, respectively. Perhaps not too keen on the earlier scene with the two simulants, is all. But otherwise, a really engaging episode to round-off the series. Nice ending line for the fans!

There are ideas throughout the series that draw some similarity with classic episode plots, but still unique enough that I don't see it as a weakness. I think the slight familiarity does a lot story-wise, in lending Series X an identifiable RD feel.

2. ojideagu

ojideagu Skutter

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

4. SedatedTabloidReader

SedatedTabloidReader Skutter

It's a little tounge-in-cheek. But anything less would not adequately express how much I enjoyed Red Dwarf I-VI.

You might want to check out the official Red Dwarf FAQ.

Q Why "Series X"?

A The Back to Earth special is now officially considered, for all intents and purposes, the "ninth series" of Red Dwarf – as such, the series that we're now moving on to should be considered the tenth. Besides, Red Dwarf X just sounds pretty neat, don't you think?[/quote]

Thanks for that.Was sure I read the opposite a long time ago. Oh well. There is still a whole chunk missing, which I will always consider to be series IX.

5. captainlisabeth

captainlisabeth First Technician

I liked it. It was a bit silly in places, not as sharp as previous seasons and there was an overall air of pantomime to it, HOWEVER............................................. 'The Beginning' made up for anything and everything bad about the series. Just a fantastic episode.

Overall, I THINK that I want RD XI. I think.

6. shireknight

shireknight Third Technician

This pretty much sums up my thoughts too, I got the impression Doug was trying to recreate the interaction of the crew from the first few series but failed because he tried to recycle old material and ideas.

We know he has it in him to give us some cracking material and he has the cast to pull it off so come on Doug take your time on the next series scripts, stop trying to bring back the past and take Dwarf forwards rather than backwards.

7. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I didn't know where to put this so I thought I'll chuck it in here.

Here's something I found interesting. It's a podcast interview with Richard Naylor. I think there's some good insight. There's some talk of things on the documentary, so if you don't want to hear about it, you may want to avoid it. I don't know if it's just my internet connection, but it's a bit jittery for me. There's also some time lag. It also may stop for a few seconds now and again. There's also a bit where it goes silent whilst the interviewer answers the door (don't ask). It's long (1 hour 20 minutes) but I enjoyed it:

Interview

8. AJRimmerLog

AJRimmerLog Skutter

This series raises so many questions for me. After all, if Rimmer was made to be... well, less of a smeghead, in 'The Beginning' then why is he still like he was in 'Back To Earth'? Is it just me or have people forgotten that Back To Earth takes place after Series X? I'm shocked, I really am.

9. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Back to Earth does not take place after Series X.

10. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Back to Earth is BEFORE series x. it's just in the story of BTE a fictional series 9 and 10 took place before... But real world series x is after, that's why Lister knows that he is looking for Kochanski.

11. AJRimmerLog

AJRimmerLog Skutter

Excuse me, BTE IS after Series X! Don't believe me? http://bit.ly/T3qVaQ Listen to the words coming out of Lister's mouth. Do it. Now.

Well in that case why call Series X Series X if it's not Series X? Call it Series IX if you're gonna make both 9 and 10 fictional. Call it XI! Anything but X!

12. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

You are wrong I'm afraid. Don't confuse what was said and occured within the squid ink induced hallucination of Back to Earth with our reality. The events of our Series X occur after Back to Earth, this has been stated frequently including by people involved in it.

Back to Earth is regarded as Series IX, so it makes perfect sense that the most recent is Series X

13. AJRimmerLog

AJRimmerLog Skutter

BTE was intended to be a special comeback, never a separate series. It wasn't even intended to be 3 parts in the first place! So if you had a DVD collection, Series 1-10 all looking exactly the same, just thrust BTE in the middle like it was nothing!? I don't know about you, but I'm still keeping it after Series X.

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

You can keep it anywhere you like, I doubt it'll look much odder than having the regular series jump from VIII straight to X, since you don't actually have Series 1-10, but whatever makes you happy. Doesn't change the fact that in the Red Dwarf timeline the events of Back to Earth precede Series X.

15. AJRimmerLog

AJRimmerLog Skutter

But surely, how can our perceptions of series' be different if our reality was created by the Dwarfers having that hallucination, because we'll think that 'we're the real ones'. Therefore, the series' must be the same in both universes. Otherwise not 'every single one of their adventures' has taken place.
    Am I making sense? I'm just saying that the series' have to be the same because we were created as a result of their hallucination. According to BTE. Whatever.

16. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

To be honest, I think you're reading way too much into that and taking it far too literally. The people in the reality from Back to Earth may think that they're the real ones, but it doesn't necessarily follow that the Earth from Back to Earth is our Earth and our reality just because it looks like Earth C.2009 (Except all the Bladerunner-y bits of course...)

17. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

No, BTE's universe was not meant to be us. Otherwise why is there no pyramid in the middle of london, or why wasn't Doug Naylor the creator??

The alternate universe in BTE was just that, ALTERNATE!

BTE is, as proclaimed by this, the official site (See the FAQ) series nine. You can't disagree, its face. The people who made it have decided to classify it series nine. Therefore it is, end of story. It is NOT the same 'series nine' that appeared in the hallucinated universe, its the real series nine. It just has a subtitle, such as "Torchwood:children of earth" was series 3 of torchwood, "Red Dwarf:back to earth" is series nine of Red Dwarf...

Series ten follow chronologically on from Series nine. End of. Yes, the DVD's don't match, its annoying. If it bothers you that much, design yourself a custom cover.

18. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

In all honesty it doesn't really matter, it is a TV comedy so just view it in whatever way makes it the most enjoyable to you personally. :-D

19. johna1905

johna1905 Second Technician

Give the series 8/10 back on form loved every episode, only knocked off 2 points because 1, krytens mask never got used to it should have stayed the same as BTE. this series it looked really cheap and nasty. 2, Lack of budget, even though the sets looked excellent the drive room set should of been on a much bigger scale, it was half the size of the bunk room set on a ship that size really lol.

Apart from them two reasons which really come down to budget it was classic dwarf, lets hope dave spend a little bit more on the next series.

20. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

You are wrong. Take this as official categorical word from a GNP representative: You. Are. Wrong.

You're confusing a joke in a story about an hallucinated, fictional "series ten" with the real Series X that followed three years afterwards.

This has been discussed ad nauseam in this forum and is clarified in the site FAQ. Please do us all the courtesy of doing a bit of basic research before asserting your incorrect assumptions as fact.