Final Verdict of RDX?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Robert26

Robert26 Second Technician

Calling it Series X was a marketing ploy and nothing else. It should have been series IX.

You don't actually need BTE. In fact if it makes you feel better you can consider it non canon. The only thing it explains is why Kochanski left but since the rest of the resurrected or alternate crew are missing without explanation in the new series, it won't make much of a difference plot wise.

2. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

If Doug Naylor says BTE is considered by him to be series 9, that's good enough for me.

We must remember that at the beginning it said: '10 years later', meaning 10 years after Only the Good.

I think people who pointlessly try to argue it isn't a canonical series (again, Doug to the rescue by saying it is part of the series), are people who hate it and are trying to find an excuse to wash it from their minds. This would be fine, but considering a rapidly growing minority love it (me included), it doesn't really work as an argument. As an opinion certainly, but it can't be considered 'fact' that it isn't a series or non-canonical.

What is a fact is Doug Naylor's words. This is series 10. Move on...

3. Tex_Rimmer

Tex_Rimmer First Technician

It was passable, but not great. Less good than Series 1-8, about the same as 9. Worth watching, simply because the characters have such good chemistry, but it might be time to see about getting some fresh writers. The plots seemed very raggedy compared to previous seasons. A lot of things just felt thrown in, and things weren't always explained adequately. Too many coincidence driven plots. Just happening to bump into Rimmer's brother, mail pods, this and that.

On the plus side, there was some good continuity in references to previous events. Re-use of signature music cues and references to previous events was good. There's even a drive room again (even though it looks suspiciously like the cockpit of Starbug. They can't seem to make up their mind if they're out in the middle of nowhere, or trucking through the middle of a Gelf Empire, or even whether the human race is extinct or not. Odd that they never seem to bother asking anyone. But, since the Gelfs hate humans, you'd think that there must be humans out there for them to hate. The reconstituted crew of Red Dwarf is out there somewhere after Series 8, but we seem to have forgotten about them.

With all the time travel and various other magic devices, they could go back to the Earth of their own time whenever they want to to stay, but for some reason they never do. They attempted a partial explanation in Tikka to Ride, but it didn't really make sense.

So, what exactly are they even doing any more? Trying to get back to Earth? Making a living looting the numerous derelicts that they find? Or something else?

4. CaptainHallam

CaptainHallam Second Technician

It said "9 years later..."

However, I wish it said "16 years later..." to ignore series 7 and 8

5. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

9 years... oh, near enough.

6. Robert26

Robert26 Second Technician

In an ideal world I would rather have RDX follow on from series 6..

7. MisterBuch

MisterBuch Second Technician

I'll throw in my opinion as well. It's really interesting reading these and other reviews, and seeing what a range of opinions Red Dwarf X has gotten, from awful to excellent.

I'd say it was good - a thousand times better than I expected - but probably not as good as 1-7, which I consider the great seasons. I like to think of series 10 being about as good as series 4. There are one or two stand-out shows, some bits that don't work or make no sense, a largely light and silly tone, largely good performances but Rimmer is a bit off. Nothing terrible, but only a few classic moments or shows.

The Cat was at his all-time best, perhaps, with his role in the show being changed to 'steals every show with a drop-in punchline and also makes little observations' for the better. I felt like Kryten didn't have much to do, sadly. He was a bit of a straight man, despite Robert acting his socks off. Rimmer was a bit odd and lacking, but his writing and performance in the first and last episides were up there with his absolute best. And Lister was, for maybe the first time on the series (but not the novels) the main character for most of it. That was a strange experience, seeing Lister as the absolute heart and protagonist of every episode but two. I've always liked Lister, so this worked well for me. And I think Craig did a great job with it too. The father/son scene, his weariness, his cheerful delivery of the jokes - this version of Lister is noticably older, but in a good way. It's part of his character. As well I rather like the Lister/Rimmer dynamic in X, and how it shows the passage of time. After everything they've been through, they seem like old friends in X rather than enemies. We see them spending time with each other, offering each other quarter and apologies, and seeming to have a little link that they don't share with the others. They perhaps know and respect each other in this season, which is great, honestly. Having them bicker and hate each other like they used to would feel tired at this point, and make the characters seem immature.

And I LOVED the clever little ideas that were used very briefly, making them more wonderful. While VIII devoted half an hour to a bloody dinosaur running around, X gives only a few precious minutes to quantum entanglement, or the root of coincidence, or 'The Erroneous Reasoning Reasearch Academy, AKA 'ERRA', or a conversation between two sides of Lister's personality via memory loss and predictive behaviour patterns. And these concepts do brilliantly for it. Shame they're usually surrouned by dumb gags and forced situations.

So what I'm saying is - I like how the show focuses on things that made Red Dwarf's heyday great - things like clever SF concepts, little adventures with punchlines, plunges into characters' minds, a simple 4-man dynamic. And simulants. I love them. And slight anti-religious ranting. I love that too. It gets all four characters down very nicely and changes them all distinctly and cleverly. Sadly a lot of the gags aren't that great, but there is nothing (well... the denti bot, the medi bot, Taiwan Tony) that just... you know, sucks. Nothing sucks (except Taiwan Tony). A few things sparkle with the absolute best of them. I can't tell you how relieved I was when, about ten minutes into Trojan, I suddenly took ym head out of my hands, stood up and declared, "Wait, this is good!" This is the show I fell in love with. And hey, 1-7 sucked every now and again too.

Not as good as 1-3 or 5-7. A million times better than 8 or 9. About as good as 4? I don't know. I really, really liked it. I only groaned a few times. Giant Death Worm.

8. nealos1

nealos1 Third Technician

For me it was worse than any other series. Trojen was the strongest episode to open with and that rather annoyingly turned a 20 year ... I see why bbc never commissioned series 9. It's because they read the script. It's so bad for me that not only a great series 11 would save it, but they would have to explain series 10 as a dream (the worst explanation ever) but thats my point.

I could produce better scripts

9. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Excellent point. Whilst I don't think series 1-6 would have done anything like ERRA (which was daft), series 7-8 would have given it an entire episode (and it would have been awful). And whilst ERRA (or, again, things like it) don't really go with the Red Dwarf universe, it is nevertheless given some screen time - but not much. ERRA was only a small part of a much larger episode and I like that RDX, in particular, has been seen to "go places". Trojan, for me, was a bloody epic episode which had loads of stuff going on in the story, yet squeezed it all in with a decent amount of laughs. Likewise Entanglement - both of which I'd actually rate pretty highly in the entirety of Red Dwarf episodes.

I will just add that my father has been watching Red Dwarf X as it airs in Australia. He enjoyed Trojan, but REALLY liked Fathers & Suns (which I actually didn't think that highly of) - though like me (and the vast majority of people here) he wasn't keen on the vending machines and the Medibot. So it is definitely interesting to see which episodes people like and dislike, especially as my dad has the same taste in comedy as I do. Will have to see how he liked Lemons.

10. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

With their time machine, presumably?

Prove it.

11. nealos1

nealos1 Third Technician

1. I'm sure Doug had scripts to go when it didn't get renewed.

2. Give me an official source to contribute to scripts and i'll prove it.

3. I love Red Dwarf so forgive me for being so miserable when I don't feel
    it was very good. I'm just letting off steam.
    It's just not a stand out clever show anymore. .. arghh I have a list of things I don't lije about it but the stuff I do like
    like Trogan, still had some very bad (reverse engineering the whoke show) stuff like Rimmers brother being a looser too. Why? It was the most obvious predictable bad idea and Doug used it!
    Why?

12. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

1. Series X scripts weren't written until the show was commissioned by Dave (in some cases, after it had already started shooting). The BTE scripts weren't written until that was commissioned by Dave, either. BBC never actually officially turned down a Series IX, either. You make it sound like Doug went to them with scripts and they rejected them, which simply isn't the case. Doug hadn't written a single TV script between the end of VIII and the production of BTE - he was writing versions of the movie script instead.

2. You don't have to submit a Red Dwarf script somewhere official to prove it. Just show us any evidence of your superior comedy writing skills, anywhere, and then we'll be able to judge.

Sorry, but while you're welcome to discuss your negative reaction to RDX to your heart's content, "I could do better" is one of the most facile and lazy criticisms it's possible to offer. It's a product of the typical attitude of the internet critic, it offers no constructive criticism whatsoever, and more often than not it's demonstrably untrue anyway.

13. nealos1

nealos1 Third Technician

1. Ok my comment was aweful. I shouldn't of said it. The point you make about me offering no critisism and just saying "it was rubbish, I coukd do better" is spot on. So I do take it back.
    Even when something good happens like Craig Charles epic oscar winning performance in fathers and suns, something so much more terrible happens (denti bot, medi bot, vending machines) that all the good work is undone. And the bad points I mentioned were so bad to me that I can't just forget them and enjoy the good bits.

All alien (man made-I kniw) encounters are slapstick. Jokes seem to be over explained

Roll on series 11. I love Red Dwarf!!!

2. Knock knock...

...I joke of course. Ther was some well thought out jokes. Just a shame there was so many many equally bad plots/jokes

14. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Wonder if anyone actually clicks on those links that spammers provide...

Oh well, in any case I am actually itching to re-watch it all, even the episodes I wasn't keen on.

15. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Didn't you previously say:

:?:

Not that I'm a fan of the denti-bot but either you like him or you don't.

16. MisterBuch

MisterBuch Second Technician

As someone who loves Red Dwarf X, let me just say that if the Denti Bot gets another episode I will strangle myself.

17. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Doug Naylor seems to love Kerry Shale (so much that he keeps getting his name wrong on the DVD :lol: ), I'd go so far as to say that he is Doug's version of the Blue Midget Dance sequence for this series. I haven't seen one fan who enjoyed his cartoony performances (even those who liked Taiwan Tony!) yet Doug seems a big fan of his work.
    In retrospect, it's interesting to watch the deleted medi-bot scene from Trojan and hear Doug falling over himself to point out that it isn't his intention to offend dyslectics yet being seemingly oblivious to the potential pitfalls of Kerry Shale's other notorious roles. It just goes to show how you can never accurately second guess an audience.

Either way, I'm glad that the medi-bot's other appearances were cut. He felt like a relic of series 8.

18. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I guess given the response the fans had to Kerry Shale, and the poor critical reception and so forth. It seems to be that Doug Naylor seems to listen to audience feed back and while it doesn't always work out (series 8), I think the medibot probably won't show up again if there's a series XI.

Infact with more feed back on what worked and what didn't and having done the difficult task of resetting up the foundations of the show and for the most part moving it back in the right direction, it's not unreasonable to think he could be better next time......particularly if he gets another director in (Ed Bye might make a for welcome return). I for one feel if next time Doug could write more episodes to the standard of Entangled or The Beginning then we could have a promised return to form. As it is it's the shortcomings like Kerry Shale's strange take on comedic acting and sloppily put together episodes (I'm looking at you Dear Dave) that really hold Series X from being something much more.

19. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Ouch! I'm not a big fan of Dear Dave at all, I definitly think that it was the low point of the series (perhaps tied with F+S for me) but after watching the doc on the DVD I appreciate it for what it is, an episode that was made under practically impossible circumstances, some scenes were filmed after the sets were taken down, and the entire Vending machine sub-plot was invented simply to make up time! Doug says on the doc how the original idea was rejected, and he fought to get a sort of episode ready for recording in front of the audience. He then took the rushed bits out and replaced them with stuff recorded during pick ups.

The level of effort that went into that episode, yes its rough round the edges, but it has its moments (finger wetting machine) and I really respect Doug for managing to prevent a total disaster, as well as make something the live audience could enjoy too!

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Even though the writing in dear dave like most the other episodes of RDX were all over the place i actually thought alot of it was quite funny

ok maybe not so much the Rimmer subplot which i didn't really care for or lister humping the vending machine