Find the french idioms/expressions in RD!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by thepoisoneye, May 8, 2010.

1. thepoisoneye

thepoisoneye Second Technician

Just for the fun, let's find all the french idioms/expressions/words used by the characters in RD.
    It can be also references to France or Frenches (without necessarely french words inside)!
    For instance, I remember Kryten saying "Et voila!" about a space weevil meal in the Legion episode...
    Your turn now! :-)

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I don't suppose 'mayday' counts?

3. thepoisoneye

It counts. :-)
    Lister explains to Rimmer the origin of the word "mayday" and quotes "m'aider".

4. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

"Bonsoir mes amis. A bien tot."

Rimmer saying farewell to the Armeé du Nord.

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It didn't really occur to me at the time I watched the episode (a few times), but that's actually quite knowledgeable for Dave (Turks with wooden horse) Lister wasn't it? Yet... not really contradictory. I can actually imagine him picking up little bits of knowledge here and there (and probably remembering that which he found fascinating) while missing out swathes of education as a whole.

6. thepoisoneye

He doesn't know much but yes, a little bit nevertheless... :-)

And keep on pumpin', guys! There's still dozens of french idioms/expressions/references in RD!
    Here's one: Kryten in The Last Day saying to the "Marilyn Monroe droid": "Enchanté!"

7. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

On the note of The Last Day, a reference to France in Lister's field trip to Paris when he was ratted. Threw up from the top of the Eiffel Tower and was told it landed in Monmatre to be sold as an authentic Jackson Pollock.

8. thepoisoneye

Well done! :-)

Moreover, there are other french idioms or references in The Last Day...

9. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

That is not a window, that is a fenêtre Rimmer Bodysnatcher

10. thepoisoneye

Sometimes, Rimmer uses french idioms mainly in order to:
    - look kind of a 'literate' and upper class guy. (The way he pronounces 'Legion' with french accent, for exemple)
    - Show to his crew mates his 'super skills' in foreign languages.
    - Say farewell to a toy soldier.
    But this doesn't fool anybody just because:
    - He's a smeghead. :-D
    - They know his poor capabilities.

Kryten uses sometimes french idioms when:
    - The discussion is related to food/gastronomy so french idioms may sound appropriate.
    - And his programmed language is too classic, therefore it's an easy way for him to talk a little bit less conventional without breaking his programming.

If you find hard to define a word as a french one or not, remember this: Any word needing to be pompously pronounced is probably a french one! ;-)

There's still quite a bunch of references to France and french idioms/expressions in RD. Keep pumpin'!

11. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

RIMMER: Generals don't smash chairs over people's heads. They don't smash Newcastle Brown bottles into your face and say "Stitch that, Jimmy." They're in the nice white tent, on the top of the hill, sipping sweet Sancerre and directing the battle. They're Men of Honour.

12. thepoisoneye

+1 for the Sancerre! :-)
    I think there's another reference to this wine in RD but I can't remember where. Any idea?

Otherwise, here's a reference to a french philosopher/writer: "Now was Albert Camus a goal keeper or a philosopher?" Kryten, Holoship

13. mosspross

mosspross Skutter

The Rimmer emperor (Rimmerworld:-( And bring me the cold ashes on a silver plate, with a glass of chilled sancerres.

Lister (Holoship:-( Bon voyage!

Talkie Toaster (White Hole:-( But I am a toaster. It is my raison-d-etre.

14. thepoisoneye

+3! :-)

I would add:

- When Rimmer pronounces 'Legion' with French accent. Rimmer, Legion
    - 'I'll give my body to the Louvre, buddy'. Cat, DNA

There's still a lot of French idioms and references to France, keep on searching them!:P

15. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

If you are going to take the Albert Camus reference from Holoship, then surely we need the appearance of Jean-Paul Satre from Meltdown

16. thepoisoneye

+1, Of course! :-)

Then I think we'll need the Descartes reference too:'Wasn't it Descartes who said, "I am what I am?"', Lister, DNA

17. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Surely therefore, also the numerous references to Napoleon throughout, including the appearance of everyone's favourite Fascist dictator in Better Than Life must be included in all of this. Throw in Me2 there as well for Rimmer's line "If Napoleon shared a quarters with Lister, he'd still be in Corsica peeling spuds". There are others scattered around too I'm sure, after all Napoleon is Rimmer's idol, but I'll need a bit longer to recall them (or leave it up to someone else ;-))

EDIT: addtional Napoleon reference in Timeslides where Rimmer says "It would be the 16th century for me (or whatever century Napoleon was, I think he was the 1500s?). One of Napoleon's marshalls. A chance to march across Europe alongside the greatest general who ever lived and kill Belgians!"

18. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

I think you'll find it was Popeye. ;-)

(is that Popeye Doyle from The French Connection:?:-)

19. MyMindIsGoing

MyMindIsGoing First Technician

Location, Location is a TV show about houses.
    Holly:
    "Wasn't it Jean-Paul Satre who said Hell is being locked forever in a room with your friends?"

Lister:
    "Holly, all his mates were French."

20. thepoisoneye

About Descartes and Popeye: 'It's so easy to get those two dudes mixed up!' :lol:
    By the way, Karen Mulder sang 'I am what I am' so we have in the end three potential authors for this line!
    I wonder: who is the philosopher among the three? :lol:

+3 for Daniel. There's another reference to Napoleon in Meltdown when Lister describes the gallows scene: 'There's another like Mussolini, Richard the IIIrd, Napoleon.'. Surely there are some other references to Napoleon but I don't remember... Any ideas?

And +1 for My Mind Is Going. ;-) Good job, everybody! Keep on searching, guys!