First look at the new ship!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Smegerama, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

[​IMG]

Smeg! It looks awesome!

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm guessing that's a screen capture from the new advert that we were discussing.

I like that they're reverted to the original shape, but I'm not too keen on its sides. They look a bit like the sides of the remastered version.

Christmas Rubbish likes this.
  3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It's not the original shape. It's narrow like the remastered version but shorter.

4. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I like it. Its not too long whilst also almost keeping the original shape. Certainly a lot better then the long version.

5. CrazyFanNumber8725

CrazyFanNumber8725 First Technician

Looks like a red TARDIS to me. Paint it blue, turn pic over 90 degrees clockwise, re-label "red dwarf" to "police box" and...

...don't hurt me!!!

6. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

I said this in the other thread but, looking at it closer, it certainly seems to be the remastered model but with the extra half cut out.

The Remastered Red Dwarf was about twice as long as it should be with two asteroids buried in it's underside. I think halfing it's length is the right move. It looks enough like the good old Red Dwarf now, a good blend of the two.

7. Menuboy

Menuboy Third Technician

It looks pretty good. Like some people have said a lot like the original. Though could they not have just used the original model, would have cost less ;-) and I don't know about anyone else but I would've loved it.

8. TheAmazingDannyKing

The very first Red Dwarf model fell off a shelf around Series IV and was beyond repair.
    They built a smaller version but this was blown up in Series V.
    The only other model that is still around after that was the Remastered / VIII model, which this appears to be a derivative of.

9. TheAmazingDannyKing

Woops, it double posted for some reason. :eek:ops:

10. Menuboy

Menuboy Third Technician

Ooh wow I didn't know that. Fell off a shelf lol. So, is Starbug in this? I heard someone mention something called 'Carbug'...

11. connell

connell First Technician

I don't believe theres been any confirmation on Starbug featuring, but there is a Car version, so it's almost certain that Starbug will be Featured.

Now, The New ship is excellent! Its looks almost certainly CGI, but reduced to the original size, but kept more sleek, as in the sides look like the ship is more hospitibal for human life, whereas the original just had bits or random everywhere, which I never liked. Also, the back part, the rockets or whatever they were, have gone back to how they were in the opening credits, smaller, but it still has that honeycomb pattern with a circle around it. Basically CGI, but with some differences to make it look original.

12. TheAmazingDannyKing

Looks like the name has been made larger like the origonal too. It looks too small on the RM version.

13. Listerschick4eva

Listerschick4eva First Technician

aww i miss the old Dwarf ship it was so much better in my opinion

14. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

wow, I'm liking it, much better than the remastered/series VIII version. I can't really see too well but I hope it has the rocks in the underbelly and the funnel at the back is like the original

15. CrazyFanNumber8725

CrazyFanNumber8725 First Technician

Ok, so I'm new to RD and maybe my observation wasn't as clever and unique as I thought it was.

But it was still clever! The fact that someone up-n-spliced up a TARDIS (Time And Red Dwarf In Space) pic proves it!

I wonder if there are models available on Ebay.

oh boy i had too much coffeeeeeeeeeeeee.....

16. TheAmazingDannyKing

If it makes you feel better I could see where you was coming from. :P

17. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Well there was one model of Red Dwarf that still existed, sadly very dusty and old and mangled... went looking for this which I made about 14 years ago :lol:

It's seen better days, (especially the front scoop) but at least it still exists, unlike the series I/II bunkroom I made, that's long gone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (note the added garbage hatch)
    [​IMG]

18. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Dust and bendiness aside, that's pretty impressive (and it's a wonder the real ship doesn't look something like that after all it's been through ;-) )

I noticed you seemed to go for a slender look too? Not as long as the new version (or even the new new version) but less chunkier than the original. (If that's due to squashage, forgive me.)

What is is it made from?

19. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

well it was kind of meant to be the original design but at the time it was pretty hard for me to a clear impression get the overall thing from my VHS tapes, it has been a bit squashed over the years too though but it probably came out not quite as chunky as it should've. From what I recall it's cardboard, stuffed with newspaper then covered in papier mache.

20. h3lter

h3lter Second Technician

imo you should have put that up before and had doug put it on the set on a shelf somewhere in the new 3 parter!