Five minute preview - well?!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jmc2000, Apr 8, 2009.

1. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

2. Windfola

Windfola Third Technician

3. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

4. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

.....From the description, it's looking good.

Me want clip.

5. arblock

arblock Skutter

Seems a bit weird without the laughing in the background..

6. Windfola

Ok, ok, so I did the link wrong. :P Anyway, they've posted a link to the clip up on YouTube now. :-D

7. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Don't worry about it, I did a link wrong a few days back,(everyone seems to do it) that's why I put "let's see if I've learned how to do this" cos I wasn't sure I'd got it right.

8. TheAmazingDannyKing

Just watched the clip.

I dunno why but it just didn't make me laugh (out loud). I smiled, and I enjoyed it but....something was missing there. = / Chris was being too...Chris with his voice, and when he started talking cars, well I was a bit lost. I know Chris in real life likes cars but I thought it was always telegraph polls with Rimmer. Craig also wasn't really funny but he had no lines of comedy so that's fair enough, but he sounded more "Craig" than "Lister" if that makes sense, and God knows what pot Kryten was smoking in that, he's clearly lost a few more behavour protocols since we last saw him.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I think I need to see it in context. Looking forward to Friday!

9. Windfola

I really enjoyed it! It actually made me laugh out loud, which isn't something that usually happens very easily. Rimmer going on about the cars amused me greatly as it's not exactly a secret that the lines between the characters and actors are a little blured, and Rimmer has shown interest in cars before. For me at least, this has put to rest most concerns that I may have had about the feel of the shows. :-)

10. Carrie TORDFC

Carrie TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

Just watched it from our USB key (we managed to get two, hehe). I really like it, twas very good.

People have referred to "something missing" and I think it's something to do with the sound. Watch any other episode and you can immediately work it out - it's that air conditioning or low bass hum that you get when you're on a plane or train or something, which they very cleverly replicated in the episodes. On the clip it was completely silent in the background.

Rimmer does refer to his love of cars in series 2 and 3 so before telegraph poles. The first is in Better Than Life when he conjurs up the car on the beach. The 2nd is in Marooned where he's more interested in describing the Bentley he 'lost his virginity in' rather than how the sex was!

I think it's got the makings of a good episode, I just think that we'll have to bear with it as it feels rather unfamiliar yet familiar at the same time

11. arblock

arblock Skutter

No, it's the live studio audience that's missing! They'll probably have a laughter track though come Friday.

12. TheAmazingDannyKing

I assume by people you mean me. You can quote me, I don't mind a healthy debate.

I watched the clip with in-ear headphones and I could actually hear the background noise of the ship, so I think that was the final dub? It wasn't really that though which didn't sit right with me. I think laughter would have helped, but of course it's all personal preference.

I also can't remember his mention of love of cars. The Better than Life thing I am sure is a desire we all have, not to mention his first imaginings was a reliant robin in "rust-look" brown! I recall one scene where he mentions his brother's Bentley V8 in Marooned, but this was more a passing comment to me. Rimmer never struck me as a petrol head, but that does not matter really I suppose. I just kept thinking "It'd have been hilarious if he said Telegraph Polls Gazzette" just then.

I think you're right when you say it is unfamillar and familliar. Time to adjust and see it in the final edit will no doubt help. As I say I did not dislike it at all.

13. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

Nope, won't happen.

It's been confirmed on the official Red Dwarf site news section that Back to Earth will be the first in the shows history to be filmed without either a live audience or with one added in post production.

What you see on that clip is the finished, finalized version.

14. connell

connell First Technician

Smeg, the smegging videos been smegging deleted!

15. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

16. Carrie TORDFC

Sorry Thaw, not being off with you, just too lazy and half asleep to do this whole forum thing properly, sorry! :-D

I think it would have done better with a laughter track as that's what makes good Red Dwarf, I think without it, it feels more, I don't know, serious, more filmic. I think it's probably a very deliberate choice by the makers.

But haven't they mooted this whole thing as a comedy drama (like Being Human on BBC 3) rather than a sitcom? It's a very new take on Red Dwarf, I think fans of the hard core comedy may be a little disappointed, but I like this type of comedy - where one of them will snap a joke or one liner and they immediately continue, not waiting for the laugh.

17. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

i'm avoiding spoilers and not watching it, but does it sound that bad? No air vent hum really detracts that much, and no laugh track makes it worse? Man, im worried now. :-(

18. TheAmazingDannyKing

@Miss Flibble - I think they are aiming for comedy drama, which was always RD at its best for me, Series V is my favourite and this echoed it in some ways. I don't know if it works or not yet without a laughter track.

I'm sorta betting on it being an extra feature for the DVD's though, since it'll have been seen by then and it wouldn't be so much of a problem to add one. Fingers crossed anyway.

19. Carrie TORDFC

I agree, it does have a distinct series V feel, where it was far more about the action and exploring beyond the ship than ever before. To be honest, it has made me very intrigued to watch more! Roll on Easter weekend!

20. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

Wow, i laughed, which is good because that's the main point for me; also the filmic affect worked well and the not being an audience makes it feel better than series 7, looking forward to this and hope Doug has laid a golden egg here! We have an episode for friday, saturday, and one for sunday best!