Five minute preview - well?!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jmc2000, Apr 8, 2009.

1. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I think the no laughter track is maybe a better idea that series VIII style comedy - lots of gags, many of which unfunny but getting annoying overlaughter from audience. This way they don't have to try too hard. And if there were a movie, there would be no laughter track.

2. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

Lol, I just realised what has struck me as odd about that scene.

Loads of dialogue for the Cat! The other characters barely got a look in. xD Also, the "Dry clean only" delivery is epic. Danny ftw.

3. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

Have you seen this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV0gXTEkDXs
    In truth i found those clips funnier than the 5min preview, it's abit wierd when you think of how original dwarf was but if you compare it to series V and VII it strikes a very nice balance of humor/drama i like it!

4. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

Okay, now the Rimmer dancing to music thing *does* have me on the floor in stiches. xD

Epic win.

5. jacksmith

Yes i think this is new Dwarf and not like any we've seen really, but if you think about series III change isn't always bad, sometimes, well most of the time it opens new doors, (SERIES IX PLEASE)to me this is like series VII

but without the unecessary Kochanski, and the leaving of Chris Barrie. I just hope there's room for more Dwarf, oh and i hope also that corrie is not a major thing and is simply for gags.

6. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

I agree with all of this, the show needs to evolve and it looks like it's doing just that, plus no unnecessary characters like Kochanski gets it back to its roots, of the main four doing sitcommy things in space!

7. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

I enjoyed the clip, it looks great ROLL ON FRIDAY

8. IronMaid666

IronMaid666 Third Technician

in all honesty after seeing the 5min preview & the clip above, back to earth looks amazing!!! & incredibly funny!!!! especialy rimmer dancing. i got shouted at for laughing too loudly!!! bring on good friday!!!! cant wait!!!! i've just pre ordered the back to earth DVD from amazon.

9. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

WOW! I am stunned, gob smacked even! This is even worse than I imagined!

Maybe its partly due to no studio audience for the actors to bounce off of but they have all lost it & seem to be just going through the motions. THey come across as amatuers simply reading lines off a script. Directorially it was dull, falling in-between a movie & a tv show & not good enough for either. Every line/situation felt like a variation on what has been done before. & I agree with the sudden interest in cars for Rimmer, or is this some ‘hilarious’ reference to the fact that Chris likes cars in real life!

I wasn’t totally convinced that this new version of RD would be amazing, especially with the plot probably being what I & others think, but this has lowered my expectations.

R.I.P. Red Dwarf :-(

10. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

Although I enjoyed the clip and although I laughed something about it just didn't feel right and I dont think it's the laugh track not being their.

The character's Lister and Rimmer just didn't seem the same as they were to me.
    I just hope that after all those years away Craig and Chris haven't forgot how to to play the roles the way they played them before.

Although I must say Danny John Jules was epic and seem's to have slipped straight back into his role as the Cat as though he never left.

11. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

It's already better than Duct Soup.

Hurrah I love it!

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

That seems to be the case. There are exceptions though, particularly The IT Crowd. At least I wouldn't class that as broad commercial comedy, but I might be wrong. I like it a lot, think it's the best new comedy we've seen in a while, but I can see it being an acquired taste. Mind you I guess that goes for everything to some extent. Take My Family for example. That's something I'd count as the more broad commercial kind of comedy but it's not my cup of tea. (I do like some mainstream comedy though.)

For now I'm avoiding the 5 minute preview. I'm ok with the lack of laugh track, although I wonder how it'll be. It does feel a bit odd from the clips I've seen, but I think that's mainly due to what I'm used to.

13. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

Can't please everybody, but please, go watch it anyway, go in open minded, and come back with a clear thought out decision. It may surprise you, but if not, well.

Can't please everybody.

14. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

I will, not till monday though back to back with curry & beers! I don't want RD to be bad, but well, just got to say it hows I see it!!

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Chris seemed very series 7, and therefore not quite at his best. I also felt Kryten's entrance was a bit OTT and a bit out of character. I'd have to see a bit more of Craig to compare his performance to previous series, but he seemed fine. Danny was good; I liked his series-1-and-2-era Cat-ness at the end of the first scene.

I thought it was quite funny and the sets look great. Overall, I'm pretty impressed so far.

16. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

I'm still indecided, watch it bit by bit over three days, or wait two days then watch the first two parts before the third airs. =/

17. teeheehoddleha

teeheehoddleha Third Technician

Hey guys

As a long time dwarf fan (first started watching during Season 4 in 91, and became utterly hooked during S6 then the subsequent BBC repeat of the entire series to date in 94), I'm both excited and terrified by these new episodes.

I'd got used to the fact that RD had gone, and after the bitter disappointment that was RD8 then maybe that was for the best. Then we get this surprise. It will be amazing if it's good, but if it's bad it will be yet another of those TV resurrections that should never have happened, alongside Only Fools and The Royle Family.

I've been following progress eagerly, but the more spoilers are released, and the more clips shown, the more nervous I get. RD8 bugged with how broad it was, and it already seemed that the actors had forgotten how to play their characters. That opening "Argyle Somerfield" scene makes me feel slightly sick when I think of it. I don't want to see Craig Charles being Craig Charles, and Chris Barrie being Chris Barrie, I want the characters I grew up with.

I just hope they pull this off, I really do.

I'm new by the way, so hi!

18. jacksmith

Um... go watch Marooned, the fact Rimmer remembers more about the bently he lost his virginity in than the actual experiance,

go in with an open mind, but i'm not convinced you'll like it judging by your Red Dwarf knowlage or lack thereof.

19. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

FYI I didn't say that, i quoted someone but it messed up.

20. jacksmith

fixed, sorry bud.