Food doesn't go off

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by dodgebizkit, Nov 11, 2012.

1. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

What is up with food lasting millions of years on red dwarf? I've red/seen reports that mcdonalds burgers have survived years without refrigeration (although- spoiler, this is not true, I once had to do a research essay on food preparation and I chose fast food and had to source the meat for McDonalds, Burger King and Wimpy, and look into the process of how they are made and all that, including shelf life, safety procedures, additives etc - the only additives are in the few sauces that aren't provided by Heinz though most are and therefore they would decompose at the same rate as any other burger or chip.) but to have food mainly stored bin cardboard boxes not rot is pretty hard to believe.
    We've seen the cargo hold areas in earlyish episodes and its all boxes. Lister was looking through the crates in the decks and found a fresh strawberry, there was no way he was walking through deepfreeze searching, or that a strawberry had defrosted to look that good, most food degrades in qualities when frozen and thawed, especially fruit and veg...
    At first I figured that most ship food was microwave meals kept in deep freeze and cooked quickly by vending machines using a high tech cooking system (like the microwaves do in polymorph - interestingly they assemble food from raw ingredients too :P ) as seen in series 1 and 2 with the microwaved curries, but often they chance across things that should have been frozen but weren't and are perfectly preserved... Its like nothing goes off in the future.
    Its kind of a stretch to say that frozen food would last that long... Let alone unfrozen...

The only frozen food they found were lister's organs in deep freeze...

Now, its funny that microorganisms in the future don't eat food, but they do eat ships...

2. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

That's what I was thinking the first time Lister fed Cat in episode 1.

From that point onward I accepted it as something normal in the RD universe.

3. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Its one of those things that's easier to accept than spend 5 minutes of an episode explaining. Maybe they invented some technology in the 23rd century that prevents food from EVER going off. Hence why lister letting mould grow in a mug would annoy Rimmer so much, maybe its the last mould left in the universe! And Rimmer's stuck with it in his bunk!

4. dodgebizkit

LOL

Rimmer - "Last mould ever. The last bit of mould ever, and it's living above my bunk."

Lster "He has got a name you know, Rimmer."

5. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

HA! Brilliant one! Love it :P

6. shizuo340

shizuo340 First Technician

This is an easy one to explain

• Futuristic additives
      Dehydrated
      Powderised liquids
      Vacuum sealed
      Stasis
      Deep sleep

Take your pick

7. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol hmm i would have to pick that mustard stain assuming that's what it is on your long underwear mr custer :-D

8. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

This was something I wondered about for a long time, but I think the most logical explanation, is that the food stocks are kept in stasis. That way, they never age. xD

9. shizuo340

I have no idea wot that's supposed to mean

10. Rue_Dwarf

Rue_Dwarf Supply Officer

I'd have to agree with stasis storage cupboards/crates, OR, if things are in the cargo decks, additives. Possibly a combination of both. Never questioned it before, really. :-p

11. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol ummm your own picture? your avatar?
    ... k thanks for coming though :-)

12. shizuo340

Tyhats not a stain that's a shadow

13. dodgebizkit

It would make sense that food is cooked, stasised (is that a verb? I'm making it a verb!) and then destasised on demand so that when lister orders a curry, the machine takes it out of stasis and serves it, steaming hot, as to the curry, it was cooked only a minute ago even though it was 3 million years old

14. shizuo340

i think u mean put into and taken out of stasis

15. dodgebizkit

That would be the definitions of the verbs to stasis and to destasis, yes...

16. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol you have a fantastic sense of humour sir :-)

17. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

They eat space weevil and whatever they find on abandoned ships.

Beer milk shakes are fine, cos beer would survive 3 million years and still be drinkable.

And fish, well, what's to say there aren't fish 3 million years in deep space?

18. Rottencarrot

Rottencarrot Skutter

Perhaps they have the ability to create foods using synthetic proteins etc. So they can have a 'chicken' vindaloo with synthetic chicken. They claim to recycle urine to make alcoholic beverages, so I suppose they could gather all Lister and Cat's poops and recycle them into food :-D

19. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

I like the stasis idea the best, but the novels state that the food is all vacuum-sealed. Also, the food dispensers seem to have technology similar to Star Trek replicators, so that kind of stuff wouldn't go bad.

In the end, you just have to accept things like food and clothes still being intact after 3 million years, Red Dwarf being able to come across dozens of derelicts in the infinite size of space, etc.

20. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I know I've seen every episode, but could someone tell me which one had Lister's organs in deep freeze? For the life of me, I honestly can't remember..! :-D

Loved Black Light Burns' quote:

Rimmer - "Last mould ever. The last bit of mould ever, and it's living above my bunk."
    Lister - "He has got a name you know, Rimmer."

:lol: