Food Props

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Aug 25, 2013.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Does anyone else find themselves wondering what was used for some of the scenes involving the consumption of food?

In some case; Rimmer eating the triple fried egg butty with chili sauce and chutney in Thanks for the Memory, Rimmer (in Lister's body) eating the sushi and mashed potato in Body Swap, it is what it is, but there are others where 'prop' food is obviously used.

So I ask, what is the (very authentic looking) dog food in Marooned? What's used as the indigestion relief in Better Than Life - Milk?? What's in the Tabasco sauce bottle in Psirens? And best of all, what is used as Space Weevil in Legion?

2. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

If my memory serves me correctly I think Craig says (during the episode commentary, or possibly the docu) that the dog food was tuna and spam, with some of the jelly stuff from the spam on top.

I'm not sure about the other stuff, but milk seems quite likely for the indigestion relief.

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Tuna and spam? I think I'd prefer real dog food.

Just had another look at the Space Weevil in Legion. Might it be a heavily disguised croissant?

4. Freeborn

:lol: I think if given the choice I'd leave both and opt for the tube of Bonjela gum ointment.

Could be. They're about the right basic shape. I'll have to take a closer look next time I watch it.

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

:-D I might have even been tempted by the pot noodle if tuna and spam was the alternative.

Anyway, just noticed another in Gunmen of the Apocalypse - the coffee beans Kryten's forced to eat. Some sort of chocolate granules for making milk shakes?

6. ChangeOfPlan

ChangeOfPlan Third Technician

I would have made those smokey bacon crisps last till f**kin doomsday!

Im not sure about the space weevil though guys, a croissant would be a bit flaky where as that thing stayed together pretty well when Lister took a bite. You only get a quick glimpse of the inside, but an oversized pakora maybe?:-D

Whatever it is... id have given it a bash.

Love Krytens line aswell "After all, it is corn fed!"

7. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

It might even have been marzipan - you can mould that stuff into any shape... bit of green food colouring etc.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've no idea what it was made out of, but that space weevil looked damn tasty.

9. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Or are croissants heavily disguised Space Weevils?!? :shock:

10. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I'd rather take my chances with the Pot Noodle........

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I don't really mind Pot Noodles myself. Though I only ever have them very infrequently, such as once every year or so.

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I have pleasant memories of pot noodles as a kid so never really empathised with the disgust expressed... although it made a couple of good jokes. Then I had another around 3/4 weeks ago. Peri-peri chicken flavour. It wasn't nice. On the other hand I had a spicy flavour the following week (I forget the name) and rather enjoyed that. It was nothing special in content but the gravy was nice. Not as good as the chicken flavour with sachets of soya sauce I had as a kid when flavours were more limited. You also had more soya pieces* back then which made the meal seem more substantial. **

*I actually thought they were pieces of meat as a kid. I was really surprised when I thought otherwise. I don't usually rate soya as a substitute but liked it in pot noodles. Thinking about it I guess it was the gravy again.

** POST CONTENDER FOR 'MOST BORING SMEG' AWARD. What can I say? I like food.

13. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Now there's a thought.

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Me neither. I used to love Pot Noodles as a kid so long as I didn't have them too often. A friend of mine couldn't stand them, but I think Red Dwarf was my first proper exposure to the fact that many people out there regarded them to be awful.

And I'm now suddenly in the mood for a spicy curry flavoured Pot Noodle.

15. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

A little off toic, but I always wondered what the "snowball" in Timeslides actually was, it clearly isn't snow or even a convincing fake.

As an aside as well, most of the time when you see Ice cream in pictures it's really mashed potato, colored as necessary. Apparently real ice cream melts far too quickly under the heat of the lighting.

16. Freeborn

Even before I became a vegetarian I would never have guessed the soy pieces were not real meat. And I still firmly believe to this day that most if not all meat eaters would never be able to tell the difference if not told otherwise. Although the smell and texture may give it away for some die-hard meat eaters and butchers.

But the fact is creating the taste of animal meat is extremely easy nowadays, much more so than back then.

What I do find somewhat fascinating is when some meat eaters at the time said they were disgusted to find out that their pot noodles in fact *didn't* have pieces of animal flesh floating in them. :?

Call me a weirdo but even as a young flesh eater I found this to be extremely ironic, not to mention a tad disturbing.

It was perhaps that year that I began to feel like somewhat of an Alien on this bizarre planet of humanoids. No longer did I understand the wacky human race. ;-)

17. ChangeOfPlan

ChangeOfPlan Third Technician

Interesting reading Veggie Vamp, however, even if I had a 10ft barge pole, with a medium sized barge pole nailed to the end of it... I wouldnt touch that subject. lol

I did used to quite like pot noodles, but I wouldnt buy one nowadays. Loads of people at work eat them and after reading whats in them I wouldnt bother. Its the food equivalent of Red Bull. Tastes ok but you know in your heart its killing you lol

Good call on the space weevil theories! Marzipan's an inspired suggestion. Ill tell you one Red Dwarf meal that looked amazing, in "The last day" Kryten brings Lister waffles with fresh cream and strawberries. Now couple that with womens topless boxing... and you've got yourself a formula!

18. Freeborn

I'm not overly keen on them personally, although I did used to eat the chicken and mushroom flavour Pot Noodles...occasionally with additional salad cream...no seriously. :lol:

But yeah they're certainly not the healthiest of meals. But needless to say the last thing people should be worried about are the soy pieces. Over all Pot Noodles are pretty high in omega 6 fatty acids and other additives such as flavour enhancers monosodium glutamate and disodium 5 ribonucleotides, which in large doses are not so great. I also have some ecological bones to pick with the packaging.

Essentially, any snack where you just need to add water should be looked upon with a certain amount of caution, as should the nutritional information on the packet. Although as with most things, moderation is key. The odd pot noodle is unlikely to do any harm. But they won't especially do us much good either.

All that aside though, I was always a tad confused as to why Lister of all people doesn't like Pot Noodles. I mean, obviously we know he prefers curries and the like, but you'd think Pot Noodles the perfect snack for one as slobby as Lister. If it were Rimmer, Kryten or Cat complaining about pot noodles it would be more understandable, but for me it always seemed a bit odd that Lister was so anti-pot noodles.

Edit: Oh and I agree, Marzipan does seem more likely for the space weevil. :-)

19. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

How the smegging smeg did this become a conversation about smegging pot noodles?

Well the answers obvious really, but what I mean is can we get back on smegging topic?

20. Freeborn

Sure. I wonder what they used for the pot noodle in Demons and Angels?

Sorry, I'll stop with the pot noodliness now. ;-)

How about the food used in Legion? What's the big furry thing that hovered into Krytens mouth? A coconut with extra fur added? Or a haggis perhaps?