for those that venture onto reddit

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Jan 10, 2018.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

that kat as don king thread on there is quite funny

2. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I've seen that posted to posts replying to antivaxers.

Abe likes this.
  3. neilold

Oh, so you mean anti vaxxers, gotcha

4. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

I meant anyone who denies science in favor of belief. Like our dotard-in-chief for instance. Or the senior republican "leadership" also. But the anti-vaccination people certainly fit. So do goobers like this :

[​IMG]
    Almost word for word what I heard at the Thorntons this morning.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Abe likes this.
  5. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

One if my neighbours doesn't believe in medic or doctors and believes very heavily in karma and that people who get sick have sinned against God and and have been made sick as a punishment. Or at least that was my grasp of his beliefs when he was talking to me.

6. BigOleDummy

We have people like that here too. Mostly fringes of the christian fundamentalists. I really don't care if the adults want to die for their beliefs, but when it involves their children I start having reservations. But due to our first amendment , which I treasure don't get me wrong, we have to watch those children die from easily preventable infections and diseases. http://www.religioustolerance.org/medical8.htm Just a cursory going over of this list of children who died because their parents prayed for them instead of seeking medical help makes my blood boil.

Abe likes this.
  7. neilold

Yes, I see what you mean. I wouldn't like to be a victim of that. The trouble is evolutionary theorists and creationism theorists are both incredibly arrogant in their beliefs, with neither of them often willing to concede points
    Consequentially, they both come out of the argument looking like arseholes

8. neilold

I would also be very wary about changing the first amendment, it's something your country should be very proud of

9. BigOleDummy

I'm quite proud of our Bill of Rights. Which is under constant attack these days by the repuglican party btw. As far as ...

Just WHAT point could a rational person concede in that debate? Evolution is a FACT and has been Gregor Mendal established the principals of heredity. Which lead directly to Darwin's theories. The FACT of evolution is very well established just not the complete mechanics of it. No, there was/is not a constant gradual change but a series of bigger, more significant evolutionary advances. When creationalist's scream "Darwin" they ignore the all the research since 1859. Yes, 1859! Think of the advances in ALL the science's since then ...... I'll give you a second for that. So why should Genetic's/Evolutionary theory be any different?

""Approximately half of the U.S. population thinks evolution does (or did) not occur. While 99.9 percent of scientists accept evolution, 40 to 50 percent of college students do not accept evolution and believe it to be 'just' a theory."

This is scary to me and very disheartening. You cannot replace Fact with Belief. Period. Why is it so scary to you/them?

Abe likes this.
  10. neilold

from 2:49 the constitution clip, is one of the funniest things the simpsons have ever done

BigOleDummy likes this.
  11. neilold

it's not scary to me, I'm indifferent to both arguments. my point was that evolutionists can be arrogant, in there belief that nothing that can't be proved is true, also creationists can be in the belief in an almighty diety that trumps all. Both sides should just accept that they both have beliefs that are at least open to question in certain circumstances