Friends, comrades or enemies?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Lala2616, May 1, 2009.

1. Lala2616

Lala2616 Third Technician

Would you say the main characters from Red Dwarf are friends? Watching the series so far it seems to me like they couldn't care less about each other. They're trapped in space and have no one else but that doesn't make them friends. But then they still stick together in life or death situations.

Take Rimmer, they can't stand the guy but when he's in trouble like in Justic or Terrorform they go and help! I mean of course to make the show interesting that's why the writers have them do it lol but I was wondering if the rest of you justify that with friendship or comradship.

2. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Initially the Rimmer/Lister really didn't seem like friendship, but that just leftover from pre-radiation leak days and such forth. Over time... I think it is a sort of friendship in a way. They do honestly care about each other... well the others care about Rimmer, but as for him reciprocating it... "over the years I've come to regard you, as people... I met". I think for him it stands at camaraderie but only when it's his neck on the line as well, such as Demons & Angels, Out of Time, etc.

Cat doesn't like Rimmer though. That comes through frequently. I suppose that's just related to Cat being so self-centred.

3. Tex_Rimmer

Tex_Rimmer First Technician

Depends who you mean. Lister and Kryten are friends, sure, albeit in a Mentor/Student kind of way.

Rimmer and Lister, yeah. You can see that in Blue (forget the ending, which is just a joke). But it's not as simple as friends or enemies. Also look at Rimmer's speech in Stasis Leak. "I don't like you, I don't like what you stand for..." And YET... he doesn't want him to go, and starts moaning about how "everybody leaves me."

Now, take a look at Back in the Red, where they're discussing the time when Lister put eyes and a mustache on Rimmer's snoozing todger and put the picture on the bulletin board as a missing French movie star. Not a very friendly act, but look at the way they talk about it. Rather than shouting obscenities or grabbing him by the throat, Rimmer is happily sparring with him over it, as usual. Earlier in the episode, he spends the whole opening scene trying to tune Lister out entirely, yet soon gets goaded into joining back into the game of semi-friendly one-upsmanship.

So, it's not that simple. If you just ask "Are they friends?", I'd have to say no, they're not. But they do have a kind of bond, a level of understanding. They're both misfits in their own way, cut off from the things they most want, and sympathize with that on a very deep level. They have a certain level of regard for each other, and don't want anything too bad to happen to the other. As early as Confidence and Paranoia, Rimmer is pretty upset to see Lister passed out in the corridor. He'd be glad to see him humiliated, but not dead.

The Cat is superficial and doesn't care about anyone else but himself. If he seems to at times, it's because Danny imbued the character with more humanity than he's supposed to have. But that's why it's so hard to do stories that center around the Cat. He's good for comedy relief, but not a complex enough character to be the focus. The relationship between Lister and Rimmer is very complicated, so to balance things out, the Cat is simple.

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I think by now there definately is a sense of freindship between Lister and Rimmer that wasn't there at the outset even if its a sort of "squabbling brothers" type.
    Deep down you can't spend that long together and go through all that together without some sort of cameraderie.

The Cat/Lister relationship has also changed alot from the beginning. Compare Cat's blase attitude to Lister possibly dying in Confidence and Paranoia with his similar reaction in Out of Time.

5. Lala2616

Lala2616 Third Technician

Wow that's some deep analysis!

I think Cat is a lot friendlier as the series goes on ^-^ Still as vain though haha

I find the whole Rimmer Lister relationship quite interesting and such a funny part of the show! I agree about the whole bond thing and squabbling brothers. It's never friendly, but it's something. You look at how the Lister and Ace Rimmer characters are in the series and they seem more like friends.

Kryten is the best one that they get along with, but that may be because he has to do as they say lol

6. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

I think Kryten and Lister started as good friends... but that friendship isn't so strong in season 8
    Lister and Cat simply likes each other because Cat couldn't make some strong friendships at the beginning
    Lister and Rimmer are complicated story :-)