Genealogy/Ancestry

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by BigOleDummy, Oct 4, 2017.

1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

One of the things I loved the most about living in Germany/Western Europe for 3 years was the chance to see and go to, many of the things I'd only read about. I've always been a history buff, mostly military history but history in general, and having the chance to actually see "Flanders Fields" , Aachen, Remagen, London etc. was like a dream come true.

I'm not personally all that super interested in my ancestors, but there are a few "interesting" facts about my ancestry.
    The Jones's (my branch at least) came from Wales in the late 1700's as indentured servants.

Me and my father are/were (he's dead) the only male Jones's who weren't preacher's.

I had a great great great great (not sure the number of "great's" and will NOT be calling my Aunt who researched all this!), grandfather who was hanged as a Union Spy by the traitorous rabble that was the confederacy.

I am the oldest male ever in my branch of Jones's.

Anyone have any interest in your family history? Or history in general?

Abe and FeeBee like this.
  2. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

My grandad was a steeplejack, and a greyhound racer, he also was a boxer in fairgrounds and a gamekeeper for the guiness brewery. My other grandad was a British officer in India. My uncle was in the Russian convoys and used to be able to here torpedo's coming in the boiler room.

My aunties were nurses and factory workers. My other great granny sat in an old rocking chair all day by the fire and scared the bejesus out of her grandkids, some folks say she was was a witch she was

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    FeeBee likes this.
  3. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I come from a very long line of farmer on dads side of the family 7 generations of farmers in Australia and was farming in Germany before they imigrated.

Some of my family changed there last name to fight in World War 1 and 2.

My uncle on mums side died of a type of cancer that is meant to be hereditary. Only after he died that a history of chrones disease which relates to his cancer and sickly relatives that were kept secret (who likely had chrones) and never spoken about were discovered when digging further.

4. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

The witch thing reminds me, I was not allowed to watch a lot of TV shows at my grandparents growing up that had Witches or Magic so Sabrina, I dream of Jenie, Bewitched etc was off limits and even Rugrats because my grandma saw me watching a Halloween episode so that made the whole show off limits. Even at home I wasn't allowed to watch Charmed and a couple of other shows that mum thought delved to far into the occult and I wasn't allowed to read the Harry Potter books when they first came out but mum in the ended decided they were fine because it's along the lines of Sabrina, Worst Witch and a few other shows that I was always allowed to watch.

5. neilold

Why weren't you allowed to watch witch programmes? What did anybody think would happen?

6. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

That I would become a Wiccan or try to summon demons or whatever. I know the Church when it was established in Australia tried to stamp out the belief in supernatural and people like my grandparents on dads side do not like even the slightest mention of anything magic related. No idea what my grandparents on mums side would be like in that regard. My grandmas mind was already gone when I knew her and my grandfather dead for years before I was born, but then again he was a member of the Masonic Lodge and my grandparents on Dads side believe them to be an evil cult.

7. neilold

Sounds like you family stepped out of the middle ages!!!

As John cleese says in the holy grail

She's a witch!!!! May we burn her?

FeeBee likes this.
  8. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

Pffft genealogy is about as reliable a horoscope. The whole 'tracing your family tree' business is based around the vain and ultimately unlikely hope that nobody down your entire line of ancestors has ever lied about who sired their child. You can bet at least one person throughout your own hundreds of years of genealogical history has... and as you'll never know who, when or where you'll also never know at which point the branch becomes redundant. Ergo the entire thing is an utterly useless exercise.

9. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Dad in doing the family tree did discover a woman who never named who her son's father was, took that to her grave not even telling her son.

I still think that the family tree is interesting to go back through even knowing that not everything is accurate.

10. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

My great grandfather was born in the lovely town of Asbestos, Qu├ębec. That's about all you need to know.

FeeBee likes this.
  11. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

I like my family history, but I don't know much about it.

My grandfather was born in Poland and my grandmother in Ukraine. They were both Czechs, they just lived there and returned to Czechoslovakia after WW2.

My great grandfather lived with his family in Persia for couple of years. That's why we have lot of persian stuff at home.

My grandfather was chemist. That's why we have lot of chemic stuff at home.

My another grandfather was steam trains driver. That's why I prefer trains over cars... maybe.

My mother's son is big fan of Red Dwarf.