General Series X in production discussion thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by KingR76, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i agree the cast did tend to over play it after series 6 thinking they were being more funny, but i thought the subtle approach was better

and even though when someone asked robert if it was funnier then BTE he replied

which doesnt really tell us alot

2. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Roberts posted a new blog, very interesting with what he's said indeed and one thing that I found myself nodding to like a demented Churchill dog was this paragraph:

"The big test will be when the audience sees them. Will they be able to resist posting spoilers on social media? We will certainly be encouraging them not to. I think we should all encourage them not to."

I realise that for some the temptation will be too much but I'm with #theoldboysfromthedwarf in agreement of not posting anything.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i say make the cast work hard for ther money and that anyone who is in the audiance (esp for 1st show) be as strict as possible and if something is funny then great but if it aint then dont just laugh at the pure excitement of being there ;-)

this will help doug naylor know if anything if wrong early on and wont turn into another series 8 where it gets big laughs in the show but at home people are like... this is a pile of smeg

4. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Do you really believe that that will happen? We're going to be scratching at the doors to get in and see our Boys back in front of the Cameras and we'll laugh because it will be hysterical.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

no i couldnt see it actally happening, but it would be better for the show unfortunatly

but i suppose going by what doug said in an interview a while back when he said just because a show gets alot of audiance laughs doesnt mean its a good show

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm determined to remain 100% spoiler free, and I hope none appear on this forum.

7. supercat

supercat Console Officer

It says on the e-ticket "Do not reveal the story plot lines, even with spoiler warning!"

I see it as part of the terms and conditions, and I have no intention of posting anything about what I see. Nor will I be pleased if someone tells me anything about the plots of the other episodes I don't get to see.

I wouldn't want to see all of the recordings live. It's going to be fantastic watching one, but I love the fact that 5 out of 6 episodes will be brand new to me when they finally go on air!

Keep the spoilers to yourselves, please. Thanks!!

8. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

There will be no spoilers from me.

Yes I will be brimming with utter excitement at whatever goodiess are in store for us on Stage K, and will be enthralled to see the banter and chemistry between the boys (as is so evident on RD commentaries) but thats as far as it goes.

If other people who attend want to, its up to them but I'd feel like I was betraying a Loved one by releasing any of that kind of info.

I posted this in response to Roberts latest blog:

"We're all Fans of the show, and I remember what the 11th of November was like with all the tickets going in record time and crashing a website in the process thus those who were lucky enough to get Golden Tickets have the privilege of seeing Red Dwarf X first hand and shouldnt really spoil it for others."

9. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Well said!!!

10. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Thanks. I'm glad you decided to ignore Adorabelle's advice to ignore me. :-p ;-)

11. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Thing is, though, there's a major difference between "Avoiding spoilers for something that you haven't got round to watching yet" and "Avoiding spoilers for something that hasn't been BROADCAST yet". I don't think you can say it's the spoilee's responsibility to avoid finding out about it when, as far as they're concerned, there's nothing TO find out because it hasn't yet been shown to the millions of people that will eventually watch it!

I also don't agree that the episode is "out there" just because it's been performed to 300 people who are there, lest we forget, as part of the actual technical production side of things (i.e. not just for the sake of letting some people see it early). Look at it this way: it would be wrong for the cameramen or the guys running the lighting to go online and post synopses of the episode, wouldn't it? I don't see how the audience, in this particular instance, are any different in terms of the responsibility they have not to ruin something for people who literally physically had no chance of seeing it.

But hey, that's just my attitude.

12. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

I actually really enjoy spoilers- for me, half the fun of new Dr Who is seeing how much I can find out before it's broadcast... *dons tin hat*

However, as others have said, that doesn't mean I have the right to go against the stated wishes of the cast and production team, particularly of a show I care about so deeply. I grew up with RD and it would feel like betraying my family! Nor do I have the right to spoil others' enjoyment of the show. So I'm massively excited to be going to see an episode recorded, and would happily go and watch them all if it were possible, but I shalln't be posting or divulging any details. It simply isn't my place.

For all the problems of the ticket allocation, one positive might be the way tickets went so quickly to the kind of fans who were prepared to really make a rabid effort for them. Hopefully this means they're more likely to want to play fair in this regard than more casual viewers...

13. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

If people are really desperate for spoilers then is there a facility on this board to have a password protected area for people who wanna discuss the show they've seen?

14. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

The terms on the tickets state you must not reveal anything about the show. Why would the official website provide an area for breaking those terms?

15. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

Oy! Didn't you say ignoring people is mean?

16. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Well, quite.

17. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

In fact, shouldn't revealing spoilers result in a lifetime ban from the board and someone coming round to smash up all your Red Dwarf collection. :twisted:

18. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

You're very welcome :-) x

19. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

What you've said here reminds me of a similar situation I was in in the second week of June, when Cast/Crew/Security from Eastenders were filming on location here in Southend, all I had to literally do was in some cases walk down the road and I'd be on the set.

They were down here for about a week Filming in different locations, a local fish and chip shop, outside a Hotel "Westcliff Hotel" that was cgi'd in post production to make it "Regal" and elsewhere, obviously with all those Cameras and production equipment plus people as noticeable as Dot Cotton, Heather, Fatboy etc walking about this garnered a heck of a lot of attention of passerbys all getting out their phones and taking pictures.

It was the Wednesday I first became aquainted with Cast and Crew and was allowed to take Photos with my EOS of them setting up scenes, when they'd rehearse but not when they were actually going for a take.

At one point Security asked me what I was going to do with these Photos and i said how "They're for personal use" and went on to say how I find the production side thoroughly interesting, the Security guy looked at me as if I was a lunatic, within that time I'd seen a lot of scenes and a lot of dialogue that I knew diehard Eastenders fans would have loved.

At the end of their first week of filming I spoke to the 1st A.D. and gave her a solemn promise that I would not be putting any of the photos I took of any of the setups up on Twitter/Facebook or anywhere else she was very appreciative of this and it would never have been my intention to have gone back on this because within that time I had become on first names terms with everyone from security, plenty of the cast (Jodi Latham and June Brown gave me the most recognition Jodi would always say "Heya Rich! You awright mate?" whenever he was on set and had some interesting chats with June) and even the Director... In fact it was sad when on the last day of filming the 1st A.D. called "CUT! Thats a wrap on Southend!" and those I'd become so close to were off back up to Elstree.

I could never have gone back on my word and betrayed any of them and posted Photos and thus create spoilers and I most certainly didnt, and the same views remain with Red Dwarf X, 1,800 of us have the privilege of being amongst old Friends and to spoil the surprise of what will most definitely generate much discussion when it airs next year would seem like a kick in the teeth.

Spoiler free and zipped up tighter than Rimmers wallet is how it should be :-)

20. supercat

supercat Console Officer

You started it!! ;-):lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.