General Series X in production discussion thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by KingR76, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I've just seen it on Dave. I had to sit through 15 minutes of Bush Pilots. It was agony.

It's a very brief clip. Not a great deal to it.

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Mmmmm, Bush Pilots :eek:ops:

3. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

Better sitting through bush pilots than back to earth ;-)

4. Ally1990

Aww, poor Back to Earth. It's like that girl in Futurama with a third ear on her forehead.

I'll be watching the director's cut tonight.

5. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I dunno BTE I didn't think is was as bad as some of the series 8 episodes like Back on the Red part 2, 3 and Pete (both episodes). Having said that it was pretty dire.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

If I'm being objective, I'd place Back To Earth on about the same level as the average series 7 episode, and higher up than the average episode from 8.

7. Ally1990

I think all TV shows that are gone for a while and come back a long time later are average at best. Was the first series of Doc Who when it came back brilliant? I thought it was average. Was the first part of the latest series of Futurama any good after coming back after a five year gap? I thought it was average. Was the latest series of Red Dwarf brilliant? I thought it was average. But these shows improved, and hopefully, that'll be true for RDX. It takes time to find your rhythm.

8. Slainmonkey

I dunno I think Futurama never got better since it's return and I think average is far to flattering a word for the new episodes. Having said this I hold more hope for series x of Red Dwarf because it legitimately seems promising, it sounds like a lot of love has been put into it, not just by Doug Naylor but everyone involved which I hope translates to some good episodes.

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I thought it was great, and it's all been downhill since then.

10. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

I think Futurama is going through it's RD VIII phase. It's gotten really pantomimey and the characters are more and more exaggerated. To be fair, there have been a few really good episodes in the uncancelled seasons, though it's far from up to par with the original series.

11. Slainmonkey

Only only saw maybe one I liked, I've found the vast majority of it quite, quite terrible. I think the series VIII comparison is a good one particularly given how awful I thought it was.

12. jaybo1973

The phantom menace was the red dwarf 7 of the star wars universe. They got slightly better but never returned to the glory of the original trilogy.

13. Slainmonkey

I actually disagree with that, I thought while series 7 was maybe in the high end on hit and miss, series 8 and BTE were just flat out awful. If anything series 8 was more like Phantom Menace with all this really juvenile elements.

14. jaybo1973

You could be right actually. My point was though, that they never did return to what people loved and expected from star wars. Let's just hope that X does not follow this trend.

15. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Very true, Futurama has lost it really. Will RDX follow this trend?

16. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Sad to hear this about Futurama. It was a perfect, beautiful little series in its original 4 episodes and didn't need to be taken any further. I liked the first movie but the other three were unecessary and I feared it was going to go down the road of Family Guy which I have never found entertaining, hence why I haven't sought out the new series. It's like they took the attitude that now they were on a more risque network they should do all kinds of ridiculous adult crap.

Such a sweet show. I'm sad to hear its lost its way.

17. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

The newer episodes have not reached the original four seasons (not episodes :lol: ) standard, but apart from a few awful ones, they're still very good. Also, I disagree with what you said about the movies. The first was obviously the best, but they were all remarkable and true form... except the second one :evil:

18. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Yes. In fact, it took five years - and a new showrunner - for the show to produce a series anywhere near as good as that again.

19. Ally1990

I know not calling the first series of new Who brilliant isn't a popular opinion. That's fine. I know I'm in a minority.

There's always a danger bringing back TV shows that they won't live up to the hype of their early days. So great is the love of these shows that they come back. Yes, you could argue it's for money, but the creator's wouldn't agree to it if they didn't think it was possible. They do it for the fans.

People have different impressions of their favourite shows, and everyone has different reasons for liking them, and if that isn't met when it comes back, it fails in the eyes of that fan. It's about recapturing what people liked, and for some it works, for some it doesn't. People will always disagree.

Some people won't like RDX, some already don't. But some will love it. It's important to be objective and not critical.

20. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Just watching back to earth, i think its a really good story, only thing we are going to get close to a film i think. Actors are very good in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.