General Series X in production discussion thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by KingR76, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

I like BTE as well. I'd love to stay and chat about how under-appreciated it is, but this is fairly irrelevant to the topic at hand, isn't it? Sorry.

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I've a feeling that BTE will become much better recieved in future bookended as it is by firther Red Dwarf series of (apparently) very good quality. A lot of people hated on it seemingly because it wasn't like the TV series but in reality it wasn't trying to be. It told a very emotional story. If anything the slightly shoehorned in gags probably stopped it being even better.

3. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I liked BTE, too. I think it's unfair to compare it to what came before because it was a comedy drama and didn't have an audience. It was also filmed very differently and the music differed from the norm. The emotion was probably the 'strongest' we've ever seen it and there were some really great one-liners in it (the Priory springs to mind).

I watched it straight after Only The Good, and it worked a lot better for me.

I think it will become more appreciated, like some of the later episodes of the later series, and RDX should help it along.

4. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

The fact that BTE was a comedy drama isn't way I didn't like it, I also get it was both a satire and a tribute to the loyal fanbase. That said I just doing thing it did that particularly well because I've never been fond of things being too self referential and BTE was self referential to the point where it just felt stale, it had nothing to really say of it's own. On top of this the characterizations seemed wildly off.....Rimmer in particular (who is normally my favourite character) was at times cringe enduing in the way he was written.......it was just like seeing them all on an off day.

5. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Well, I don't agree that it seemed "wildly off". It was still good old Rimmer for me. Although I think I can see where you're coming from regarding certain Rimmer scenes. One of the things that struck me pretty much instantly during the Series X ep 2 recording was that Rimmer somehow seemed much more...well, Rimmer-esque :-). Series 3-style Rimmer was my personal initial reaction.

However, I hardly think that watching Kryten, Cat and especially Lister in BTE was like seeing them on an off day. I thought Craigs performance was fantasic. The only shakey part for me - so far as the acting goes - was that slightly uncomfortable first scene. But I feel that that likely had much to do with the fact that the boys from the dwarf do seem to struggle with their timing when there is no audience present. Which is understandable really. I thought the characters were pretty well written though really. But hey, we all have differing perspectives on these things I suppose. :-)

6. Slainmonkey

Well it was mainly Rimmer and Cat, I had an issue with in BTE, and it was at it's worst in part 1. To be fair Kryten actually was a marked improvement then when we last saw him in series 8 and Lister was fine too, but Cat seemed something of a stereotype of himself and with Rimmer........I have no idea what was going on there.

"Season 3 Rimmer" that sounds definitely like a good thing in my book, makes me all the more interested in seeing just how that is to pan out.

7. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

But remember: it wasn't the first series without an audience.

I agree it wasn't brilliant, but by the same token, it wasn't terrible.

RDX DVD: out November 17, according to Mr. Naylor.

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

thats a good thing

awesome

9. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Does anyone think unrealistic expectations may sour the reception of RDX? The amount of positive reports coming from the recordings may build peoples expectations up a little too much.

I really enjoyed what I saw recorded, but I don't think it will list as a favourite ever Red Dwarf episode (apart from the fact that I was in the audience). However, depending on how different the edited TV version is compared to the scene by scene live recording, it could well be... It's just not easy to call at this stage.

And that's what worries me about RDX....Are people expecting 6 episodes of the best Red Dwarf has ever had to offer? Will they be satisfied with anything less then 6 of the best?

10. Slainmonkey

I can safely say that I'm not, by the same token if I got a series VIII or BTE I would in turn be disappointed, however that was a case that those episodes there bad in what I associate with quality in any show not just Red Dwarf.....but I will say that the feed back did renew my interest in the new episodes because BTE initially left me with a "let it die" mentality. For the moment I'm just going to see how it goes and just enjoy the ride until it comes....I shall pass judgement then.

11. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I agree also that rimmer off. We all know he is a coward, its what makes rimmer rimmer. The too scared bit was shocking though. In my opinion, the whole thing was shocking though. I was gutted when I first saw it and it hasn't grown on me
    Back on topic though, what sort of rimmer would you like to see in x? He has always been my favourite chracter. He was at his best in 1 and 2, athough he was always a filthy piece of distended rectum.

12. ori-STUDFARM

As an overall fan of BtE (although not blind to it's faults), I hope we get to see the "Too scared" BtE version of Rimmer. Otherwise, it just wouldn't make sense! :-D

13. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

No, in fact I am taking all the positive feedback with a pinch of salt.

Red Dwarf has NEVER been as good as it was since the departure of Rob Grant. :x

14. Slainmonkey

I really hope not, that scene was painful....infact one the show's lowest moments as far as I'm concerned.

15. ori-STUDFARM

**tut-tut** You forgot to write "In My Opinion" :-D

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Which scene is this one?

17. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Eh?!? But it ain't YOUR opinion, its mine!! ;-)

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

im not expecting Series X to be the best series of red dwarf ever but i think it could be better then series 7 and im hoping it will just about match the quality of 1-6

2 people who were at the press screening seem quite happy with it

19. Slainmonkey

The whole "I can't, I'm too scared. Look at my hands" scene......that was just awful

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Ahh, the diving bell scene. I'm not too fond of it either. I find the comedy very weak and forced, and the whole scene feels very un-Dwarfy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.