General Series X in production discussion thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by KingR76, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

In a way you are still right......it was an unnecessary continuation of a punchline and it was a joke about the fact the T-rex being frustrated by the limited reach of its small arms....It's just that what he thought it would wanna reach is it's junk.

2. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I'm just going to mention that I liked this joke. In fact, it seems all my favourite parts of series 8 (and there are a few) are the parts others use to demonstrate how awful that series is.:lol:

3. Slainmonkey

Humour is a very subjective thing I guess

4. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I can't think of any poor rimmer scenes between series 1 and 6

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Neither can I, and I've been trying hard to recall one without success.

It just goes to show how well the character was written and performed in those first six series.

6. jaybo1973

It certainly does. Although all the character in those series were very well written, rimmer was without a doubt one of the best written characters in any sitcom

7. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Ah you're not the only one, Paul. I find a lot of things others seem to hate about series 8 very funny...but hey, Doug will never please us all, all of the time :-)

As for the above discussed Rimmer scene in BTE, I really liked that too. I felt it was well in keeping with the character: Rimmer being the typical coward he is. Whilst being more concerned for himself, as opposed to those in direct danger - his crew mates.

It's interesting to read the different perceptions of that scene though.

8. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

The thing about the BTE scene is that it didn't have a payoff. It just ended with him scared. Whereas in Backwards, he dusted his hands and acted if all was normal. He shook off the cowardliness, so to speak. The BTE scene didn't really have this, and for me, that felt out of character.

9. jaybo1973

The ingredients were right, the cowardness, only being concerned for himself but as you say no pay off and it was very off kilter. It was as if someone else was trying to play the part but hadn't got it right.

10. Slainmonkey

Also it made him even more cowardly then usually, Rimmer is cowardly in the face of danger but the fact was in BTE he wasn't in any. It seems a bit more then contrived that he was to scared to merely raise them back out of the tank. So scared that he was scare still and his hands were trembling......it was just a bit much to swallow.

11. Robert26

Robert26 Second Technician

I think I wouldn't want the characters to be the same as they were 20 years ago. I think in the last few series the characters matured and Lister and Rimmer became less childish to each other. In fact there seems to be a total respect there. Lister is also quite thoughtful especially when it comes to relationships. I think character development is important to me, even in a sitcom. Remember how series 4 Blackadder was much less of an anti hero than the previous versions?

12. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Now that we have the synopsis, reading those G&T set reports again got me all excited.

13. Ally1990

The RDX crew seem to be back together. This taken from Twitter (I'm not good quoting so I've wrote it word for word from Twitter:-(

roopeshparekh
    "bromely001: *Why* are you back with the RDX crew? Is this something we should be happy about?"

I don't know. I blame @DougRDNaylor : ))

bromley001
    @roopeshparekh @DougRDNaylor For what? You're sharing lots of smiles. Is this a RDX publicity/DVD thing? Tell me to mind my own, if you want...

DougRDNaylor
    @bromley001 @roopeshparekh Be scared, be very scared.

14. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

It looks like Doug, Richard and Nathan are working on Interviews.

"My view right now. @NathanCubitt and @DougRDNaylor behind the camera. #RedDwarfX interviews."

15. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

I'm still shamelessly fangirling over getting a tweet from Doug Naylor.

16. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

Hmmm, what will our Friday update be this week? Will we get another teaser like the Cat/Kryten one, but this time featuring Lister/Rimmer? Please give us some Rimmer action!

That sounded less weird in my head...

17. Ally1990

Richard Naylor Tweeted this morning:

Back with the Red Dwarf X team editing "Coming Up Next Week" teaser trailers. Trying to make them interesting whilst not too spoilery.

:-D

18. olly1988

olly1988 Third Technician

Hi, im new!
    Not sure if anybody knows this..
    was watching 'mock the week' (on DAVE) last night and the announcer was advertising the Red Dwarf Weekender.
    They said to look out for a code to access a brand new, never seen before trailer.
    It will be shown on screen at some point in Saturday apparently.
    Gutted I'm working! :-(

19. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Hi there,

Welcome to the Forum, its always nice to see new people here and always nice to see those bearing gifts and nothing is nicer than hearing this about a code.

:-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.