General Series X in production discussion thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by KingR76, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

2. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I did say 'or dull in colour'. They appeared more black and white on TV. Probably don't want to reveal it all yet - its the first close-up of the entire ship, after all.

3. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

Very dull. It does look black and white on tv. The first one looks more of a purple

4. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

The shot from the front makes the ship look horrible. That big monstrosity on the front is far too big and looks plain silly. Should have been much smaller like the earlier series.

5. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

I personally feel it makes the ship look really cool, especially from that angle.

Also, Rimmer's "I was just about to suggest that myself" strikes me very much as him trying to act in charge and on the ball, not poor acting on Chris Barrie's part.

6. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I may be wrong on this one (fan for only a few years), but isn't the scoop what powers the ship? I've always thought that it was too small to do that, considering how big the ship is, but on the new ship, it seems to suit its purpose.

And Chris Barrie saying 'I was just about to suggest that myself' is, for me, reminiscent of the BTE scene when he's formulating the plan and then reveals he never intended to go with them. The two scenes seem to play very similarly to me.

7. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

The original Red Dwarf Ship is iconic, but this one is still pretty dam close I think.8)

8. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I only half agree with you here. As Ally above states, the scoop powers the ship by collecting Hydrogen pockets from space. I've always thought the scoop too small in relation to the rest of the ship for this purpose and have always wanted to see a version with a massive scoop on the front.

However, now I can see it, I'm thinking 'Ooh, it doesn't look very well balanced at all'. I'm sure this could well go on to be my favourite version of Red Dwarf...once I get used to it!

9. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I'm with you in this one, I initially had issue with it being top heavy when first seeing the trailer but frankly not only have I gotten used to it but actually grown to really like the the big scoop and helps make it look rather iconic in a way that it never felt in it's more pencil form.......not the the Red Dwarf model wasn't iconic too.

As for Barrie's acting I still kinda felt like he said that line too fast and it seemed kinda odd like he was staring off at nothing. I still thing it was a good gag and I imagine it will play better in the full seen but given the few seconds of footage it's easier to nitpick something we otherwise might not have noticed.

10. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

The lighting on those teaser model shots is what really puts them a few levels above the original series' stuff. Instead of being lit pretty evenly on all sides, you just have this one light source off to the side brightening up one part of the ship but leaving most of it really dark which really highlights the windows. It just looks much more like it's in deep space.

And that is, for lack of a better word, kickass.

11. Slainmonkey

there is clearly more then one light source there because otherwise you wouldn't see the ship too good at all. However the ones used here are much more subtle then they were in the original series, as such has a more grand and closer to real look to it. I also think it kicks arse and can't wait to see it in all it's glory.

12. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Well, I mean that it's lit as if there's one light source (i.e. a star offscreen).

13. Slainmonkey

Ohhhhh, then then yes. Still I have to say that it has me eager to see model shots on action.

14. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

Really looking forward to seeing the original starbug model to, shame they couldnt have used the original blue midget from sereis 2 that looked wicked.

15. Slainmonkey

It's my understanding that both Rob Grant and Doug Naylor never liked the original model for the Blue Midget so I can hardly say it's a surprise that it's not back here. As long at it doesn't dance, I'll be more then happy.

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

its funny im actally finding myself kinda enjoying series 7 on Dave, its got it flaws but its watchable

while series 8 yesterday couldn't keep me watching

17. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I've been dipping in and out of both VII and VIII as it is airing. There are some good gags and moments throughout both. And because I watch them so infrequently, I've forgotten about a lot of them

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I caught a bit of Stoke Me a Clipper earlier and found myself laughing at Rimmer's line: "The only 'bonding' I want to do with him involves a tube of superglue and a rabid hamster." It paints an amusing mental picture.

There are far too many weak lines in this series, but there is the occasional gem like the one above.

19. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

Series 7 is better then 8, starts of very promising with Tikka to ride and Stoke me, then from there the episodes just are not as good. If Rimmer was there and not her it would have been a lot better just distroyed the dynamic.

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I think Epideme is decent enough. It features a good little story, and Gary Martin's performance is great. I think it's the series' second strongest episode after Tikka To Ride.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.