General Series X in production discussion thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by KingR76, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Oh boy I'm so excited!! =D

2. teeheehoddleha

teeheehoddleha Third Technician

That sounds like a pretty perfect mix to me. A combination of II, V and VI.

The images of the sets and the description given on G&T are making me very optimistic about the visual elements of this series.

Costumes sound great too.

Is it really possible that we could finally get Dwarf that can stand alongside the first 6 seasons? I was very happy overall with Back to Earth but this sounds like its a huge step up from that.

Autumn 2012 seems so far away.

3. Cappsy

Cappsy Second Technician Fan Club Team

Well, since it's been mentioned, I'll link to the whole thing if anyone's interesting in reading many, many (spoiler free) words about the recording:

http://www.ganymede.tv/indepth/red-dwarf-x-episode-1-set-report

4. supercat

supercat Console Officer

5. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

I couldnt have said it better. And to be honest its making me (if its possible) even more hungry to see it being recorded, as if I wasnt hungry enough lol.

This from Danny a few minutes ago:

"Sunday Party for daughters BDay as tomorrow I'll be starting RD 2nd Episode so I'll be at Shepperton partying with the boys from the Dwarf."

A traffic cone on standby methinks lol.

6. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

SERIOUSLY?

To me Red Dwarf is comedy first, its why I'm more forgiving towards the eps the fanbase seem to hate (series 8, mainly, can't stand serious audience-less series 7) so I'm surprised to see this tbh.

As long as it is funny I'll forgive them any reset button or sci-fi cliche action! (oh and a bit of continuity would be nice, but not too much so they're only speaking to the fanboys, obviously!)

7. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

SERIOUSLY?

To me Red Dwarf is comedy first, its why I'm more forgiving towards the eps the fanbase seem to hate (series 8, mainly, can't stand serious audience-less series 7) so I'm surprised to see this tbh.

As long as it is funny I'll forgive them any reset button or sci-fi cliche action! (oh and a bit of continuity would be nice, but not too much so they're only speaking to the fanboys, obviously!)

8. PaddyC84

PaddyC84 Second Technician

Can anyone who was at the first episode recording confirm if the footage of the show (they could see on the monitors as it was being filmed) had that horrible filmic look to it, or is that something that's added in post-production. It ruined Series 7 and BTE (but 8 looked so much better) so I'm hoping they finally have got rid of it once and for all. Thanks. :-)

9. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

As explained in the G&T report (who know more about these techy things than me), it was shot in progressive scan. Which means that yes, it will have that "horrible filmic look".

The only way for it to look like it was shot on video would be... to shoot it on video. Which would mean, for one thing, it wouldn't be in HD. So I'm afraid you're unlikely to get a return to the look of series VIII any time soon.

I can't agree with you that it looks horrible, though. From what we could see on the monitors, the episodes are going to look gorgeous.

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

A good thing for me. I rather like the film look. Series 7 is much maligned by many fans (not by me incidentally, but I understand why they dislike it) but I've always thought (a few dodgy effects aside which amused rather than infuriated) that it looked good. As does BtE.

11. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Just seen and read this, entitled "Behind the scenes of Red Dwarf X."

Nothing spoilerish in it :-) Or indeed nothing that I could see as spoilerish.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/12/red-dwarf/

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

"this feels like a proper series VII"

well if thats true that would be awesome

13. Cappsy

This is a bit of blind leading the blind, but I believe it's still technically shot on video, it's just the cameras give the option to shoot in the 'film' style with progressive scanning and at 25fps, or interlaced 50 or 60 fps, which would give the more real video look. So they could've had the video look in HD if they wanted.

The advantage here is that the film look is actually native to the shooting, so it's not applied afterwards. It certainly looked lovely on the monitors, and I think it helps that the film look is no longer something that entirely added in post.

14. Cappsy

I think that's a slightly odd thing for him to say, really, because I didn't get that feel at all. It's got a lot of aspects that draw on past series (even VII and VIII), but most of all it's a forward looking progression of the series. It's not 'the proper VII', nor does it feel anything like it - it's Red Dwarf X.

15. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

I've just read these 'non-spoiler' detailed descriptions of the shoot and I wish I hadn't now.

Red Dwarf X sounds AMAZING and I can't wait

However, I still think these set reports are too spoilery, and I won't read any more. It'll be torture but I will wait for official announcements/pictures etc

16. Cappsy

Out of curiosity, what did you think was spoilery in the G&T report?

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

maybe he just meant in humour quality its like the next step from series 6

18. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

I wasn't at the recording but for me the report had quite a big spoiler in it, but i'm not sure if i should mention what it was here as people who have decided to not read the report will not know about it and I don't want to spoil it inadvertantly for anyone else.

19. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

Really? I don't think there was anything spoilery in there. I guess it depends on what you consider to be a spoiler.

20. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

Well, really not a spoiler in the terms of giving away anything story wise away but there was one bit of info that personally was just a bit too much for me. I'm sure this report was OK'd before publishing by someone who said it would be fine so I don't have any problems with it, and indeed it is a well written piece of info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.