Good ideas for Dwarf pastiches?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by R.I.P. 2000, Sep 20, 2017.

1. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

What popular stories would work well as Red Dwarf episodes, in parody form?

I always thought The Wizard of Oz would work quite well. You've got a main cast of four comprising a normal person, a tin man, a coward and a nitwit. For the wizard, an all-powerful AI could turn out to be a mechanoid hiding behind a curtain. And a bucket of water would be a good way to dispose of a mechanical adversary. I'm sure you could make a half hour episode that lampoons the story.

What other parodies would work well as Red Dwarf episodes?

FeeBee and BigOleMummy like this.
  2. BigOleMummy

BigOleMummy Supply Officer

Ohhhh , I like this. Wizard of Oz would make an excellent parody for the Dwarfers!

How about a Vacation parody? Hey, they could use a bit of relaxation after 3 million years! They hear a commercial for a vacation planet, like for the "Stir Master" in Trojan. Have to evade Simulants/Gelf's on the way there ......... maybe with more and more ad's along the way..... with mind/emotion reader type targeted ad's featuring Kochanski for Dave, Ladycats for Cat, Napoleon for Rimmer and any number of cleaning scenarios for Kryton. When they get there Hogey the Roguey is the gate keeper who won't let them in unless they engage in a "duel across space and time" or something like that.

FeeBee and R.I.P. 2000 like this.
  3. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

Weirdly I once debated about the Wizard of Oz thing with Danny, as it was a point of argument with fans: Is Rimmer the lion or the scarecrow?

On the whole it was thought: Rimmer should be the Scarecrow as he is the first one Dorothy/Lister meets and is the closest to. And the lion and cat crossover is obvious. Also the scarecrow has the same fear of failure that makes him appear stupid even though he knows things.

Others were very bent on the stupid and coward thing,.

Danny said he didn't care and could play both, (though going on about how he'd like to play Michael Jackson's version of the Scarecrow made it seem he kind of did.)

FeeBee likes this.
  4. BigOleMummy

How about "The Wild Bunch"?

They could swing by Rimmerworld, to check out/see what they've been up to. They've been in stasis so its been another 600 years or so and a halfway decent set of Rimmers has evolved. Halfway, because..... well, Rimmer you know. They, the "good" Rimmers are under pressure from/in conflict with the Rimmer Rimmers. So the crew decides to help them. I would LOVE to see the plan they come up with to rob the train of the weapons and make their getaway. Of course we'd need a whole totally different ending as I would want all to survive needless to say. The added bonus would be seeing the Riviera Kid again!

FeeBee likes this.
  5. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

That's a very interesting point. Based on character traits, I instinctively cast Rimmer as the cowardly lion and Cat as the stupid scarecrow. The feline aspect did occur to me; the narrative role of the scarecrow as Dorothy's main companion had not.

I would suggest that Lister (in the very first series) did have an extra bit of affection for Cat as "his" cat - which might translate to the scarecrow - although that fell by the wayside quite quickly.

If we do a loose pastiche, we don't need to ape the character traits exactly. Perhaps Rimmer is desperate to be an officer; Kryten is desperate to experience selfishness; Cat is desperate to get laid. The AI wizard grants these wishes in a typically unsatisfying way, using lateral thinking. In that case, Cat can certainly be portrayed as the "lion" without character traits being an issue.

FeeBee likes this.
  6. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I just know that no matter which one is Cat and which one is Rimmer, Wizard of Oz suits the Red Dwarf characters really well.

7. BigOleMummy

I know...... its just CRYING out to be made isn't it?

FeeBee likes this.
  8. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Anyone else remember this old advert?

They even got the music to match!

FeeBee likes this.
  9. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Never seen that before but it is really well done.

BigOleMummy likes this.