Good look

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Dec 28, 2017.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

In thirty years time, someone asks you to show a great movie from 'your time' , what do you show them and why?

2. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

The Truman Show
    Shawshank Redemption
    The Green Mile

The Truman Show because it foreshadowed a lot of what was to happen in the early part of the 21st century. How 24/7 TV and media controls our lives and how perhaps freedoms and choice becomes slowly eroded.

Shawshank because it is iconic, an absolute must see film and you’d have to show them a film narrated by the voice of Hollywood, Morgan Freeman.

The Green Mile for similar reasons, it’s one of the most fascinating and gripping films you could watch. Also you’d need to show them a film with Tom Hanks because for me he’s the actor of my generation.

3. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Starcrash. For Caroline Munro.

4. neilold

Interesting choices. Though I'd disallow the green mile because it's another prison film.. I like how you chose the Truman show, because of reasons of how it depicted things, rather than just because it's a good film, more please

5. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Donnie Darko (Quirky? yes. Hard to "get"? yes. Put a tear in your eye when you realize that love matters most? double check. A movie you will never forget? CHECK.)
    Shawshank Redemption (Well acted , well written and just a good story plus Morgan Freeman)
    Batman The Dark Knight (if for no other reason than Heaths Joker. A role/performace of the ages.)
    There's something about Mary (Proof!!! proof that Ben Stiller was funny at one point in his career)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Pembers likes this.
  6. neilold

Interesting choices, and another Shawshank vote

7. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Boys Don't Cry - I think anyone could learn a lot from it. Especially as it's based on a true story. Although I hope in 30 years time, people are just generally kinder, more accepting and understanding.

BigOleDummy and Abe like this.
  8. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I will show them the Red Dwarf movie