good or bad????

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Jan 29, 2018.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

what is your opinion on al the media furore surrounding celebrity assaults and rape these days? Is it about time this phenomenon of celebrity sexual attack was fully accountable, considering how long it has being acceptable covertly? Are the unfortunate victims of the accusatiory process who turn out to be innocent just the unfortunate by product of what is the much greater good? should this type of scrutiny be extended to all areas of life? Or has the process become to easy to corrupt? Is it doing the cause more harm than good with the level of false accusations? Things like the metoo campaign appear to have gone from the very serious issues of Weinstein to simply bad dates gone wrong? is this causing too much damage, or should we be not concerned about the potential destructive nature of the accused crimes on their reputation and livelihood?

how would you like to see things handled

opinions please

2. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Rape is bad

3. neilold

Course is it. But I'm discussing what is your opinion of the media furore surrounding it

4. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

Not something I'd want to discuss with a bonehead, put it that way.

Cloud likes this.
  5. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Neil is a bonehead. I agree.

Nikki the Great likes this.
  6. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

I suppose the easiest way to look at it is this:

Men will NEVER EVER know how it feels to be raped by the opposite sex.
    Women will NEVER EVER know how it feels to be wrongly accused of rape.

It's a pretty weak comparison. But the stats for rapes against women are a hell of a lot HIGHER than false accusations against men.

American society in particular is failing its young girls and boys. Just be grateful that the attitudes your mum or grandmother or older sister may have had to put up with having their arse or boobs pinched by a random stranger, and being told to simply "deal with it" are long gone.

Abe, Asclepius, Cloud and 1 other person like this.
  7. neilold

I get your point, but having your arse pinched isn't rape. Women have being accused of rape, of course the statistics correctly say that it is mostly men, but it can happen. My main argument is Is the media treatment of it, and the way other potential non rape issues getting bundled in with it good or bad for society, or is any publicity ultimately good publicity?

8. Ant E

Why no comment in the “currently” thread regarding your dastardly avatar!?

Nikki the Great likes this.
  9. Nikki the Great

I'm guessing he thinks he's making his comment on the situation with his new passive aggressive avatar.

Shame it appears to say "ENSORSHI, OTECTING YO ROM REALIT", whatever that means.

Abe, Cloud and jmc2000 like this.
  10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rom.

Abe and Nikki the Great like this.
  11. Nikki the Great

Currently sipping a bottle of rom through a straw.

Abe, jmc2000 and Bluey like this.
  12. Ant E

Again, without sounding like a broken record - where is the censorship? @neilold ?
    Help me out...

You had two opportunities to explain both your avatars and both times you took the cowards way and didn't speak up. You censored yourself, if anything...

Abe and Nikki the Great like this.
  13. Ant E

No bottom pinching isn't rape. But it's also not acceptable.

The whole thing going on in Hollywood at the moments has similar chilling echos of Jimmy Saville.

A. A lot of very powerful rich men thinking they can get away with harassment or, in certain cases, rape/sexual assault in exchange for parts in films

B. That a lot of very powerful men AND women sitting on this information through fear of the above one imagines.

C. It appears everyone knew or were aware of rumours (including the press) but wait until a victim starts a hashtag for any of the actors to do or say anything.

D. Some actors suddenly becoming the voice of the #MeToo campaign had no issue cosying up to the alleged perpetrators before they were caught (Whoopi Goldberg being a prime example). It has a similar stink to Maggie Thatcher/Prince Charles and Jimmy Saville to me.

E. If so many people in Hollywood knew who were NOT the victims, why the hell did no one act on it? I.e. I completely get why victims of sexual assault are too scared to speak out and hopefully the one thing that can be learnt from this is that you should always feel safe to speak out.

Now for me personally the biggest worry is, for women - why did this go on for so long??? And for men, should an online accusation (or a claim in a showbiz interview), as opposed to an actual police charge or arrest, warrant enough evidence for a high profile name to be released to the press?

Thoughts?

(See what I did there @neilold? Put forward an opinion - and welcome people to comment or debate it. Not too hard).

Abe, Cloud and Nikki the Great like this.
  14. neilold

You raise some very good points ant. What about the effects on the accused innocent?

15. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

If you make a concerted effort to tackle any crime, there's a risk of innocent people being accused and even convicted. That's why developed nations have legal systems that depend on trials, evidence, proof beyond reasonable doubt, etc., etc..

The allegations need to be treated like any other serious allegations and put through the legal process. If people are found to have made false or frivolous accusations, that's also a crime and they should also be brought to justice. But you can't pussyfoot around the problem because you're worried about false accusations, or you might as well give up on crime and demolish all the prisons. Because innocent people can be wrongly accused of any crime.

The media furore is really just a reflection of the fact that so much abuse went unchallenged for so long. People outside the industry are (rightly) shocked. If anyone is wrongly accused in the excitement, you'd expect them to be cleared and publicly vindicated, given that the burden of proof is quite high. Also, if a surge of public opinion made jurors or the media lower their normal standards of proof in their eagerness to accuse - i.e., the "witch-hunt" effect - I think the lawyers would probably have a field day?

Abe likes this.
  16. Ant E

Many prosecutors argue that by naming individuals it leads to other victims coming forward.

Although the flip side is rape and paedophilia are probably the two worse crimes any man could ever do or be accused of.

17. neilold

You're right, you can't pussyfoot around, but what if someone's livelihood is ruined by false accusations, there's no smoke without fire???