Hard core RD fans are the most annoying FACT

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mellow_n_dark, Apr 8, 2009.

1. mellow_n_dark

mellow_n_dark First Technician

God give me strength!!!

We have had a five minute preview and so far it has been critisied for not having an AIR CON sound effect, no annoying laugh track (get used to it peeps if you want the movies you go on and on and on about all day and night) and for Rimmer reading the wrong type of magazine!!!

What is wrong with you people??? It's back!!! Friggin enjoy it rather than tear a five minute preview to pieces.

Makes me sick!!!

Some people are very ungrateful and ridiculous!!!

2. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

I think the Hard-core fans that moan about the magazine are not hardcore ATALL, Rimmer loves old cars just go watch Marooned,
    i laughed more than tikka to ride in these small clips so i'm a hard-core fan that's happy, but yes some of the negativity is annoying.

Like when everyone wants it to be like series V, then moan that the leviathan is

"too much like the dispair squid" and "oooh i hate fourth wall breaking nueuerrrr"

3. mellow_n_dark

mellow_n_dark First Technician

Very, VERY annoying!

And so pointless at such an early stage!

Show some support you never know who is reading this!!

Shame on you

4. PCz911

PCz911 Third Technician

Mr. Smeg,

Agree completely with you. Deighted it's returning. Hopefully enough of you silly English persons will watch to ensure another full series. As for me, I have to wait as I live in "Kalifornia" (as our govn'r loves to call it)

Cheers

5. jacksmith

Sorry to say it but, the viewing figures aren't going to warrent a new series, the DVD sales will, so everyone in the world buy IT!

6. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

You wanted it back? Well it is! Watch it and then make your mind up!

7. arblock

arblock Skutter

I said it had no laughter track and i'm by no means a 'Hardcore' fan. I was just pointing out that it sounded weird without it. This is a forum for discussing Red dwarf - there hasn't been any new 'dwarf in over ten years. When people see a clip they are going to make judgement on it...what the hell do you expect?

8. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

Personally speaking I am being negative for the simple that, from the brief scene previewed, I found it totally unfunny & badly acted.
    Not only is it unfunny as a RD episode its unfunny as a comedy in general :-( :-(
    A hardcore fan is someone who has watched every episode. I haven't, could only sit through a couple episodes of series 8, & this looks to be similar quality :-( :-(
    Lets hope they all die at the end.

9. hermanmunster

hermanmunster Skutter

You serious? The amount of coverage Back to Earth has received... I honestly expect the viewing figures to be amazing for Dave, and to certainly beat the channels record.

10. jacksmith

Well i agree, however i doubt it will bring more than 2 mill, whereass the DVDs will be MASSIVE

11. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

Yep, massive amounts of people taking them back for refunds as 'unwanted' gifts!!

12. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Well I liked Rimmers contributions but apart from that it wasnt overly great, the cat was weak in that small clip. Looked ok, its the story I'm concerned about, and no laugh track is a shame, prefer it with one :-)

13. Miketysword

Miketysword Skutter

I think there's a saying, you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

At the end of the day, it's on a commercial channel, which needs income to survive. If they reach their quota of viewing figures, they'll be willing to invest in further episodes/series. Just like any other TV show. So if you're on this site, because you love Red Dwarf, watch it, and get your pet hamster to watch it too. Viewing figures matter in this day and age.

14. jacksmith

i always thought viewing figures were from a focus group, i really don't get how they'd know about everyone watching...Very strange the world of TV.

15. billyballoch

billyballoch Third Technician

I completely agree with this post 100%

Now i wasn't born when red dwarf started and was first introduced to the show a couple of years ago when a friend loaned me all the DVD's. Watching in order from series 1-8 i was instantly amazed by the show, and to be honest i loved the show so much that i never noticed any big changes in quality throughout the series, they all differed in style slightly but i loved them all (yes, even series 7-8)

I may not be a superfan who can quote red dwarf on demand but i like to consider myself a pretty big fan. I can't wait for back to earth and i can't understand people who are criticizing back to earth before it even airs. Stop looking for the bad points and just enjoy BRAND NEW Red Dwarf!

16. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I've gotten well used to comedy shows having no laughter track. The Office, Extras, Royle Family etc vs My Family...

Laughter tracks have become a bit corny. Not if they're done right, but I think when you have a laughter track, you have to have regular gags of a certain type because you don't want a silent audience. And series VIII struggled to put in that many gags whilst still keeping it funny. They were straining for laughs, trying too hard. Without the audience, it can be generally funny and interesting without having to have a big laugh every minute. It can be more like a comedy film

And I'm treating this like the Red Dwarf film we never got. Films have no laughter track and don't generally feature the same sort of joke structuring, they can ride more on plot, and they can still be funny but the jokes don't have to be as regular or as obvious.

On the Rimmer car mag thing, I did think it was a bit weird it wasn't about telegraph poles. But that joke has been done before! At least it being about cars gives it a variation.

17. jacksmith

"Then this giant testicle came and grabbed me"
    "he means tentacle"

"I hope so."

Classic already, and Rimmer's Astro-navigation for dummies haha

18. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

I thought it was smegging fantastic! and i can't remember laughing that much at the Cat's performance since the first 2 series.

It has no laugh track, to which I say: Thank You Lord.

I happen to agree with one of the posters in another thread that said laugh-tracks are so passe. I don't need a trigger to make me laugh. I'm not one of Pavlov's dogs. This looks and feels very much like a film, which in my opinion is the best direction the show could have possibly taken.

I really understand what Robert Llewellyn was talking about when he was talking about the hardcore fans that will be-labour over every single frame. Over every single line. Over every single gesture. People need to relax and enjoy the ride. I am so far. I was smiling throughout the entire 5 minutes, and like I said, laughing out loud at some bits.

DWARF IS BACK! (there is a God)

I've watched the clip like 3 or 4 times now... is that a lot?

19. Carrie TORDFC

Carrie TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

If you'd have paid attention to my posts, I was reacting to the people who have seen the clip and gone "oh my god, there's something missing, and I'm worried" etc and tried to bring it down to tiny elements that don't really matter in the long run. I also mentioned that I don't think fans of the old style of Red Dwarf quip, laugh, pause, move on, are probably not going to gel with it, but people who love the new style of comedy (like I do - Scrubs works 100 times better without a laughter track) are going to be in awe.

There's no way in hell that every single Red Dwarf fan is going to like it, everyone's going to have something to say about it. I'm just trying to get people to see that there's only slight differences, and, I think directly quoting myself earlier, "we'll get used to it as the episode progresses".

So chill out, sit down, you're in a Red Dwarf forum during a point of new Red Dwarf - you may experience some mild turbulence.

20. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

I for one find those who lash out at people who say something they don't want to hear and lable it a fact "annoying".

Lets be perfectly objective here, everyone here is as entitled to their view as the next man. I for one found it a bit odd in some places but I enjoyed it and smiled. I saw a seccond clip with Rimmer dancing to music in the background and I found that hilariously classic. I re-watched the first clip and found it better the seccond time as I picked it up better. Perhaps laptop speakers ruined the audio for me, who knows?

The point is, I don't really have to sit there and claim it's perfect do I? If I spot something I find odd with it why can't I say so?

It's not that I hate it, or will hate it, it's just something I notice and want to discuss.

By the same token if you find it super awesome in every way then that's all good too, isn't it?

= /

I also like comedies without laugh tracks, so I have no doubt I will get used to it. I still enjoyed Tikka without a laugh track in the eXtended version, specifically the parts at the end with Kryten and Rimmer, so.