Hayley Summers and mail-pods

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

In "Dear Dave", Lister gets a letter from a previously unknown ex-girlfriend called Hayley Summers. He says he was with Hayley "when he was trying to be a rock god", which presumably means when he was in Smeg & the Heads. She worked in a bank, they spent Saturdays watching Zero-G football . . . this relationship is presumably taking place on Earth before Lister has joined Red Dwarf.

3000000+ years later, a mail-pod arrives containing a letter from Hayley Summers, addressed to Lister onboard Red Dwarf. In the letter, she tells Lister she is seven weeks pregnant and he might be the father. Lister doesn't immediately discount it as impossible, so that means there is a maxiumum of seven weeks between the last time he slept with Hayley, and him joining Red Dwarf. And he obviously never got this letter the whole time he was aboard Red Dwarf pre-stasis, so mail-pods must have been dysfunctionally slow even then. And all the letters Lister has got before now must have been sent even earlier than Hayley's letter.

In Waiting For Godot, Lister says he's been "with the company" for eight months. I suppose "with the [JMC]" doesn't necessarily mean "aboard Red Dwarf". So Lister must have been with the JMC on Earth while he was with Hayley Summers, then joined Red Dwarf within weeks of Hayley Summers dumping him. Unless Lister meant he was onboard Red Dwarf for eight months, in which case he musn't have got any mail.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean Lister was only onboard Red Dwarf for seven weeks at most before going into stasis?

The mail-pod also contains another letter where she has gotten a paternity test and Roy is the father. So that mail-pod must have been sent very soon after Lister joined. Well, at least the letters within were written very soon after he joined. But I'm pretty sure we've had previous mail-pods contain letters for Lister. Mail-pods sent earlier would arrive earlier. So what's going on with the mail-pods, why are mail-pods with earlier letters arriving later. At what point will the mail pods run out because presumably news of the radiation leak got back at some point, meaning people stopped writing letters and the space-post stopped sending the pods. So the mail-pods must all be from before or just after the radiation leak when family hadn't heard. We know that the rest of society heard about the radiation leak because Howard Rimmer says "We heard you went down with that rust-bucket Red Dwarf" or whatever.

2. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I'm assuming that it's a mail pod that was sent not long after Lister joined the Red Dwarf that has got lost for some reason and is from before the first mail pod we see them getting. I would've prefered to see a mail pod that was written by family after the Red Dwarf accident as a momorial time capsule thing then actual letters.

3. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

I like these posts, Deep Space - lots of food for thought!

I think I'm right in saying this is only the second pod they got, that we know of. I guess, at the speeds involved, the mail would take a lo-o-o-o-ong time to arrive. So maybe she sent it seven weeks after she last saw Lister, but expected it to arrive nine months into his tour or something - if the disaster hadn't happened.

Also - am I right in thinking the pod contained a letter saying she was pregnant, and *another* letter saying it wasn't his? Due to the expense involved in launching a pod - which is effectively a deep space probe - maybe they hold the mail and send it twice a year or something. If so, the same basic story could have taken place before the disaster (i.e., Lister discovers that an ex is pregnant, and hunts through the rest of the post to see if it's his).

The bigger mystery is why they don't use signals rather than snail mail (key word "snail"!). You'd think the mail pods would be for gifts and items rather than letters (i.e., you might send a twice-yearly "comfort package" to your loved one).

Here's a possible explanation. Maybe she knew he was with Jupiter Mining Corps, but didn't realise he was "off world" - or didn't know what ship he was on? In that case, her only option was to write to Dave Lister, C/O Jupiter Mining Corps, and hope it reached him. So it sat in a sorting office for ages, until it was finally put on one of the infrequent mail pods to Red Dwarf. Without having the script to hand, I don't know if that contradicts anything we hear in the episode.

4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

We get an earlier mail-pod in Series II (Better Than Life) where Lister recieves no less than twelve letters addressed to him. Rimmer says "It's all junk mail yours, you know. You send off for every bit of rubbish going, you do. Just so you'll have some mail to open". We don't know if that's true or not, but Lister doesn't deny it. So Lister's mail that arrived in Series II must have been sent even earlier than Hayley's very early letter that didn't arrive until Series X. Which is remarkable given Lister had to first send away to get the junk mail. There must have been no mail the whole time Lister was aboard.

HOLLY: I knew you wouldn't get it. Post pod's arrived.
    RIMMER: What, the mail?
    HOLLY: It's been tracking us since we left Earth. Now we've turned round, it's caught up.
    LISTER: Do you mean it's taken three million years?
    HOLLY: Yeah, that's about average for second class post.

Since that post-pod had been tracking them since they left Earth, I guess it was the first post-pod ever sent to Red Dwarf (at least on that tour). Lister couldn't have sent away for the letters he got if it had been tracking them since they left. Unless he sent away for them on Earth in preperation for when he was on Red Dwarf, but then how would Rimmer know and does that mean Lister was always going to join Red Dwarf at that time and Hayley Summers had nothing to do with it.

In Series III (The Last Day) we get a "homing-pod" with one video message from DivaDroid saying Kryten is going to shut down. This doesn't seem to be a normal post-pod, more of a special courier.

5. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

Hmm... maybe we're making too many assumptions? It's three million years of deep space. A post pod could get stuck in a holding pattern, going round and round a star in a near-stable orbit - or sucked down a wormhole that comes out light years away?

6. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Is there another mail-pod in Lemons? Kryten discovers the Rejuvination Shower in "crates that were in transit". I don't really know what that means. The mail-pods are getting pretty erratic if the last one was in Series II and now there's two in Series X.

7. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

The rejuvenation shower was found on the Trojan, as far as I've always understood it.

8. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Letsvsay we are about 250 years after series 2 at this point. To me the only explanation as to why they are coming now is due to losing power (they wont have a ram scoop) and red dwarf is meeting them on the way back....or possibly they have been damaged and the same outcome.

9. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

But how much faster were they moving after the leak than they were before the leak? This theory that they're catching up with them because they've turned around - which Holly explicitly says - seems to rely on the notion that Holly made Red Dwarf go unusually-fast for three million years, thus staying ahead of the mail-pods. Since mail-pods are obviously designed to catch up with the ship, surely they must travel faster than the ship, otherwise they'd never catch up with the ship under normal circumstances anyway.

I might be wrong, but I recall Holly saying they were "drifting" for three million years. So rather than turning around and catching-up with a mail pod from time to time, surely what should have happened is that all the mail-pods ever sent to Red Dwarf had already arrived.

10. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I'm assuming that the mail pods have some type of homing beacon on them and when the Red Dwarf has come back into range where it was lost it was able to home in on the ship again. I'm assuming that the first one wasn't lost. Holly flew out of the galaxy and didn't slow down or stop. I'm assuming that Red Dwarf wouldn't keep moving all the time when it's in operation, that it orbits planets, moons and whatever it's mining when it's not required to travel so the pods would be able to catch up during those times.

11. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Bear in mind though they did break the light barrier. Also in ssries 1 did lister not say it was going to take 100 years just to turn round or something similar?

12. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

In The End, Holly said it was going to take 4000 years to turn around and Lister & Cat were going to go into stasis. We never see them go into stasis, and it isn't clarified that they've turned around until Better Than Life. So I suppose we have to assume that they went into stasis and spent 4000 years turning around off-camera.

It's a good point about Red Dwarf being a mining ship was presumably stationary a lot of the time, which means mail-pods could normally catch up to it. I still don't understand why Holly flew out into deep space for three million years instead of turning around and taking it back to Earth in the first place. Possibly there was a fear of radiation contamination outside the ship (I don't quite know what a drive plate is), but surely he could have taken it back to the nearest barren planet and sat there.