Hero's

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by BigOleDummy, Jan 20, 2018.

1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

It seems to me that "Hero's" have kind of went out of style here in the 21st Century. It's like we almost NEED to tear down today the people who inspired us yesterday. Heck, they've even made Batman and Superman killers! (That's just not right imho) Hero's are men and women just like all of us with an extra "something" the transcends the norm, makes us better for their example. Very few of our moral and ethical leaders have made it unscathed but there are some. Who has inspired YOU? Who has been an example to you of how you aspire to be? Of course, most of us put one or both of our Parents in this category and possibly our siblings but that's not who I'm looking for. Who has made you a better person by their example?

My main Hero is Humphrey Bogart. Surprised? You shouldn't be as he was much more than an accomplished actor. Growing up watching his movies on late night T.V. I was struck by how different he was. Most, if not all of the leading men were tall , blonde manly men who always saved the day and got the girl. But Bogie was different. He was about MY size, 5'8" 150 lbs, he wasn't "handsome" by ordinary standards and in his early movies at least, he rarely got the girl or saved the day. Yes, the roles he played had an impact on me but they were just roles.

What made him into a genuine Hero was his personal life. He was friends with Jew's and Blacks and did not care who knew it. Unheard of back then. But his main claim to my admiration was how he stood up to McCarthyism and the H.U.A.C. Here was a man who put his career , his reputation and his livelihood on the line for what he thought was right. He did the right thing when very few others would. After his and his wife's testimony others found the courage to do so and helped put an end a very shameful period in my Nations history. (He was married to Lauren Bacall, when he DID "get the girl" he did it RIGHT :-D)

I urge anyone who likes stories of men and women of Honor to see for themselves how some of us can go beyond what "is" to "what is right".

O.K. There's mine. Anyone else have a Hero?

2. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator Warned

bbig ole, we can be heroes, for just one day, what do you say?

3. neilold

being serious, growing up , I never really had any heroes, there was people I liked, and people I desperately wanted to be like, but no heroes. I was too immature at that age to understand the concept of what a true hero was and who fitted into that category. By the time I did realise what one was, I realised all the movie stars and tv stars and music stars I liked were a lot more massively flawed than just us 'ordinary' folks. I always like Winston Churchill for what he did and had the courage to do, but he is someone who is definitely not impervious to questioning

4. BigOleDummy

[​IMG]
    Actually and truthfully, I've had that song running through my head ever since I started writing this thread.

5. BigOleDummy

Sir Winston Churchill was most definitely a flawed Hero but a Hero nonetheless. That man could write a speech! That man could LEAD , something sorely lacking in modern day politics imho. Actually, Dwight David Eisenhower is another example of a flawed Hero. So much good in the man, marred by petty personal spites.

"I do not believe that any political campaign justifies the declaration of a moratorium on ordinary common sense."

"CONGRESSMEN
    Each of them thinks of himself as intensely patriotic; but it does not take the average member long to conclude that his first duty to his country is to get himself reelected. This subconcious conviction leads to a capacity for rationalization that is almost unbelievable."

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
    This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children...
    This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."

(This coming from one of the best Generals ever to wear a Star)

6. neilold

But you joined the army despite this?

7. BigOleDummy

I joined the Army TWICE don't forget. Also don't forget that that was spoken by a GENERAL. Nobody realizes what war really entails except military people you know. Its driven home every single day to you in many ways.
    And yes, just because I hope for and strive for peace doesn't mean I'm not a realist. Look around you.

8. neilold

Fair enough.

9. BigOleDummy

Another Hero of mine has always been Omar Bradley. Yes Neil, another General. The man was selfless and humble always deferring to George Patten and taking orders from his superior Dwight Eisenhower. (who was promoted OVER him to lead the Allied forces btw) A man of Honor and Duty in the truest sense of those words. I've studied Military History for years and few leaders were as effective a leader and manager as he was. A quote or two :

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon on the mount"
    "Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living."
    "Wars can be prevented just as surely as they can be provoked, and we who fail to prevent them must share in the guilt for the dead."

This man was the first Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and a 5 star General of the Army.

10. neilold

Excellent song, excellent lyrics

11. neilold

Especially the lyrics about Vietnam. Do you know of the quo in the US?. You either think they're great or terrible. I think they're great

12. BigOleDummy

"I" do, but I heard about them while I was in Germany. Most people here know them only for "Pictures of Matchstick Men"(1968) and they are kinda considered "one hit wonders". I was QUITE surprised to see them still together and rocking while in Germany.

13. neilold

they'll always rock!!! They retire every Christmas without fail. It's amazing that a band so known for producing song after song over here, and having sold so many records, could be considered one hit wonders over there

14. BigOleDummy

Oh yeah, definitely one hit wonders here. Even dedicated rockers haven't heard of them, except as I said possibly for Matchstick Men. Possibly. Freddy , a German friend of mine, was quite taken aback that I only knew them for that song and kinda scolded me for it :redface::-D

15. neilold

Well good on him. It's odd, you know most of our rock bands, maiden, queen, etc, but not them. Like all good old British rock bands they have squandered mountains of money on coke. One thing the Brits are good at is producing world class drug addict singers and bands

16. neilold

How can you not wanna rock out to this!

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Status Quo songs (including the one above) always sound the same. All except for those psychedelic rock songs they did in their early years. I think Pictures of Matchstick Men is the only song by Status Quo that I like. Or half-like anyway.

18. BigOleDummy

The songs pretty good but I really hate the video. "Playing" soldier just grates on my nerves. Being a soldier is a serious business and I don't care if the real trainees are smiling along. Being taught to kill is not a trivial thing imho.