Hogey...a future regular?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by bedfordfalls, Nov 9, 2012.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Providing we do get future episodes of Dwarf would anyone like to see Hogey return as a future guest character. I can't decide whether his shtick would be quickly become lame in a Scrappy Doo sense or whether he'd make a fun addition to the show in the unexpected way that Kryten did.

I think the best way to use him would be sparingly, with one or two future appearances but the idea behind him, a not very threatening rogue droid obsessed with duels across time and space is one I found unexpectedly hilarious. The characterisation is beautifully obtuse and O'Callahan may have the potential to succeed Tony Hawks as my favourite guest actor in the long term.

Certainly Hogey's star map, which, remember, the Dwarfers never actually won from him could provide a reason for us to see him again and I'd almost say he deserves his own episode so good was his cameo in The Beginning. I loved the kind hearted slightly wearied way that the Dwarfers reacted to him, with even Rimmer trying to come up with ways to occupy him. :P

2. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

Not that regular, but it'd be nice to see him again, and you can say that for a few characters in RDX.

Also, what's wrong with Scrappy Doo? He was brilliant ;-)

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I dunno, don't get me wrong I think he made an amusing fake threat but I think if he came back he would get old fast

4. ShrunkenPixel

ShrunkenPixel Second Technician

I believe the entire point with him was that, during the 'missing years', Hogey has become a sort of spiritual friend of the Red Dwarf crew appearing from time to time and providing some mild entertainment to the boys. This would sort of be nullified if we never saw him again... so absolutely yes, he should return.

He does have the potential to be really annoying if over-used, so he should be limited to just the occasional episode here and there. Sort of like how Dwayne Dibbley appears... randomly... just when you thought he was gone for good :-)

5. bedfordfalls

I think I'd like to see an episode where the Dwarfers resolve to do something to give Hogey some meaning to his life, much in the way Lister tried to do with Kryten in the early days, maybe try to set him up with another rogue droid so they can happily duel each other across time and space forever. :lol:

I can also see a future scenario where the Dwarfers need help, a stolen part maybe or the location of a derelict and they all painfully resolve to consult an unstated acquaintence then *Quick Cut to a new location* "I challenge you to a duel across time and space!"

:lol: Haha, I'm going to be repeating this line all weekend.

6. ShrunkenPixel

As will I, it's been doing my head in all day so far :lol:

This is all the proof we need, that Hogey is the first 'iconic' addition to Red Dwarf to arrive in it's 21st Century run. Just like Talkie Toaster, "Ace" Rimmer, Mr Flibble and Dwayne Dibbley, he'll forever be an incredibly popular and much loved part of the Red Dwarf lore regardless of whether he returns in the future, unlike (for example) Howard Rimmer and Prii. In fact he'll probably return because of this :-)

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

rob and doug were thinking about bringing Duane Dibbley as a regular character for series 6 as i remember right, they were gonna make it so whenever cat got stressed he would turn into Duane Dibbley.

now i think its better that never happened because it would have made the character boring

so its probably best not to make hogey a regular but maybe bring him back for 1 other episode

8. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I think he could be a decent guest regular if he was used differently each time. Obviously, having him turn up just to do the same thing again would be tiresome but there are ways you could use him via the characters encountering him in other scenarios, for sure.

9. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I think Duane Dibbley is a completely different situation though because he was an instantly iconic character whereas Hogey was just enjoyable and incidental. And thus, bringing Dibbley back just for a "it's Duane Dibbley!" pop smacks of trying to live off old glory whereas Hogey actually could be used within story lines and maybe even be fleshed out.

10. ShrunkenPixel

It's also a different situation because it allowed a character that normally struggle in terms of plot development and usage to add another simple and fun element to his repertoire. Duane is always there, ready to pop out, on the rare occasion that there's very little for the Cat to actually do for long stretches. He wouldn't work as a separate character, it's the contrast with the Cat's usual persona that really propels Dibbley.

Hogey has plenty of scope for development, but at what cost? He's an even 'simpler' character than the Cat, and trying to smarten him up or deepen him is some way would completely destroy the character we were introduced to last night. He wouldn't be the same.

He should continue to be used as he was in The Beginning. Stories shouldn't ever go out of their way or jump through hoops specifically to include him, but when the right opportunity arises (which is bound to happen) he's an obvious source of additional humour, and I think people would be pleased simply to see him again (briefly) on the odd occasion.

11. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Please no, haven't we had enough of characters with offensive comedy foreign accents? :roll:

12. ShrunkenPixel

I don't know... who are the others?

I found Hogie's accent really does work with the character and make him easy to love. Then again, it's probably a combination of that accent, that moustache and his rather short stature that basically made it difficult for me to see him as anything other than a rather funny and blatant Super Mario reference :lol:

13. Ally1990

I'm sorta Italian and I didn't find it offensive. It was funny. Period.

14. bedfordfalls

He was supposed to be Italian? :?

No offense (!) Sim, but I think you're diluting the worthiness of the TT argument if you extend it to Hogey and even the French vending machine (as others foolishly tried to do). It's rather missing the (by now well laboured) point about the reasons why the TT thing touched nerves and made people uncomfortable, particularly among British audiences with a memory.

I took Hogey's accent to be a loose amalgamation of many different accents (Italian being the least of them:-( neither one thing nor the other. I don't think he was supposed to be anything in particular and, importantly, wasn't portrayed as anything in particular...he even had a British Flag on his sleeve!

Also the characterisation of Hogey was a lot more than just an accent, he had an interesting look, a loveable personality and an enduringly psychopathic desire to engage in duels across time and space. :-) There was potential depth to his character, unlike TT who was only there to be a stereotype as the payoff to a "joke".

15. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I can't say I was entertained by Hogey. However, I think I sort of see what they were doing with him, and if they flesh the character out (if you can "flesh" a droid out. Perhaps they should weld him out) he could be useful.

16. bedfordfalls

As it is I wouldn't expect Hogey to be a regular simply because it must be a nightmare for Richard O'Callahan to get all of that getup on! I'd be amazed if he oould actually see out of it all!

17. bedfordfalls

Yeah, Princess Bride definitely seemed like the obvious inspiration. he even had the little curly moustache. :-)

Not sure why so many people are drawing a Super Mario conclusion! :lol:

18. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

My impression also was that he was Spanish, although the accent was OTT. And liking The Princess Bride is one of my guilty secrets.:eek:ops:

19. Ally1990

Sounded Italian. Could be Spanish. Definitely European. I don't know. It doesn't matter, anyway.

I can't see it as offensive. As with the French accent, that's how they sound when they speak English. I don't get how that could be offensive unless one was being a tad sensitive.

20. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

I'd like it if every now and then we just see him wandering down a corridor in the background of a shot, leaving it open to interpretation as to how often he's on the ship, lol