Hogey...a future regular?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by bedfordfalls, Nov 9, 2012.

1. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I never knew he was internationally hated until I saw the live action movie. I was convinced that he was brilliant when i was a kid!

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Yes, he even has his own TV Trope 'The Scrappy'.

Amusingly, alternate Kochanski is considered Red Dwarf's very own 'Scrappy'. :lol:

3. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

Ditto! I loved Scrappy Doo!

4. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

And you were right! [but the film and it's crappy dappy CGI was terrible!]

Don't let them turn you to the dark side, my friend! Don't let the media lies, cult-creating conspiracies & propaganda about the world and his mate hating Scappy Scrappy Doooo change your opinion of the little dude!

That's how they get you! Next thing you know they'll have you believing that Red Dwarf series 8 was a complete failure, had terrible reviews, low viewing figures and is internationally hated! Which is simply not true I tells ya! Series 8 was a massive success dag nam it!

Why they'll poison your mind and brainwash you into believing that Doug can't write decent Red Dwarf without that other chap, I forget his name. Bob Plant, was it?

Anyway, back to the important issue. All you Scappy haters should be ashamed of yourselves! There's no wonder that little guy gets so exasperated nowadays!

Look what you turned him into! He wants more life...smeggers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6juEOmOaYVk

5. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Was that an allusion to Blade Runner? haha xD

6. Freeborn

I wouldn't know, I've never seen it all the way through. :P

;-)

7. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Honestly I hated scrappy but I hated Scooby Doo as a cartoon in general, it's like watching the same episode of a cartoon that wasn't good in the first place over and over. Then you have the spinoffs, the countless Scooby Doo clones in the 70's.....it was ALL horrible.

8. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Excuse me? How is this trolling? Someone was suggesting Hogey was offensive... when he IS NOT! If you aren't bright enough to work that out for yourself I suggest you stay out the conversation. The trolling was from someone else and about 20 posts

9. Freeborn

10. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Oh screw it, they're all racist. I mean, Craig Charles and his scouser accent - I can't believe we've put up with that for so long. Rob with his Canadian accent and being their robot - is this implying that all Canadians should be slaves? And where does Danny get off being black AND a good dancer?

Chris is okay in this, though he REALLY should be speaking the Queen's English. And, for gender equality, recast as a woman.

11. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

12. Freeborn

I'm not sure how serious you're being here as it's become incredibly difficult to tell (on this forum specifically) when it comes to this subject. I do find it quite difficult, at this point, to understand how some people still genuinely don't get the simplicity of this though.

See, the thing with this whole entanglment of ignorance surrounding racism is actually quite satirical, albeit unintentionally so. It seems that some people tend to get the two extremes confused - hence the entanglment of ignorance.

Yes there are a hell of a lot of people who are seemingly blind to the genuine nationalist and racist ignorance plaguing our world today - and how inoppropriate and primitive much of evolutionary bagage and traditional ignorance is. But yes, there are also those who lean too far in the other direction and become a tad paranoid in thinking that everything and everyone is racist.

However, I will say this once again I have NOT seen any of the latter kind of attitude displayed on this forum What I have seen however is a a worrying number of people misinterpreting certain things that other members have been trying to explain, and thus wrongly throwing them into that extreme "Everything is racist!" category. This was/is a major fallacy.

Sadly, many of the misunderstandings have come from those of whom rather...interestingly don't seem able to even recognise or tell the difference between a blatantly offence racial stereotype and the inoffensive variety of accents and light hearted gags used in Red Dwarf over the years. Some of the recent comparisons made recently to defend ones ignorance - to put it more tactfully - misunderstandings have been a little difficult to swallow to say the least.

I'm not sure if to laugh or cry at the fact than some fans are still as seemingly unaware of the irony of the gag as the fictional Red Dwarf crew were in the episode. It seems the ironic joke has unintentionally broken the fourth wall in a most...unusual and unfortunate way. :lol:

Anyway, all that aside; It's time for me to make a switch y'all;

Red Dwarf was painted red 'cause it was created by a sadist! - and I will also say this -
    Doug Naylor? The Fans? Red Dwarf? - RACIST!

[​IMG]

"When you're down and out and you're really up against it
    just remember the basics.
    It's a mantra, repeatedly say this:
    You're not a loser. It's just every body's racist!

Yeah, that's right, I said it!
    Why d'you think nobody ever gives you any credit?
    Why are you last on the list of your doctor's patients?
    Chronological? Or is your surgery racist!

What type of dog -- on the pavement
    in front of your house? Alsatian - Racist!
    Say you're typin' in a search engine, tryin' to write 'haterz' with a Z at the end? And your computer goes 'Did you mean haters'?
    That's how you know...Google's racist!

How come every time an igloo's made it's always white, hmm?
    Eskimos- racist!
    Tonight you know the truth. Explain this:
    Your car won't start. Engine- racist!

Your team don't pick you, these guys- racist!
    Jeans don't fit you? Levi's- racist!
    If you can't lose weight, every time you try it
    I guarantee your diet is racist!
    On your birthday it rained in places
    -- the clouds, the whole sky is racist!

You got an iPod, shufflin' the playlist
    That ain't picked reggae in a while? - Racist!
    How come every time you get to the cue you're the last in cue, dude?
    That cue's racist!
    And then when you get to the front the staff say 'Hey, thanks for waiting'- that's racist!
    Cause the whole post office think you are skanks,
    Why do you think they try and sell you second class stamps?

Two words: institutional racism.
    You go nando's- suddenly they make chicken!
    And you might want cuscus, or just soup.
    Too late, man; they already judged you!
    When you're down and out
    And you're really up against it just remember the basics.
    It's a mantra, repeatedly say this:
    You're not a loser. It's just everybody's racist!" ~ Doc Brown Racist Rap :lol:

13. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

I was agreeing with the main bulk of your post, but as it was a lot of text, and people are tired of the subject I "snipped" it, hope you didn't mind!

14. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

At this rate Red Dwarf XI is going to be completely recast, with Rimmer and Cat both being women (and lovers) from France and Spain respectively, Lister a Phillippino and Kryten an adrogynous open-minded robot with all manner of groinal attachments.

People see offence in everything. Two stories of mine - I worked in retail back in 2004. It was Christmas, so as people made their purchases and whatnot I wished them all a Merry Christmas, as you do to be pleasant. One customer tried to get me fired for this as she believed I was "inflicting my religious beliefs on others" - fortunately my manager laughed it off, but this lady could easily have rung head office which probably would have meant changing some policy or whatnot to stop people saying "Merry Christmas", so as something is seen to have been done. And secondly, the following year I worked for the government. During that Christmas we were not allowed to refer to Christmas as "Christmas" - we had to refer to it as "the current religious festival".

It seems to me that most people who take offence or see something as minor as Taiwan Tony or the above as things to be offended at just want something to do. I certainly don't take offence at people who are different from myself celebrating their own celebrations, following their traditions and living their lives, so long as it doesn't impact on myself - and even if it does impact on myself, I'll be charitable - they've got as much right to their life as I have to mine.

In any case, back to Hogey (as I realise this thread has been derailed and the above certainly won't have helped matters). When thinking back on it, Hogey barely featured in The Beginning anyway - he got a few minutes at the start, and a moment after the credits. Should they have simply made Hogey a random simulant who wanted to trade the map, rather than someone the Red Dwarf crew have known for a while? By having him already established in the crew's lives, it seems Doug does intend to re-use Hogey.

Which wouldn't be a bad thing, in moderation. Others have suggested some good ideas - an episode where, in parts, Kryten and Hogey must work together to escape from some caves or a derelict full of simulants, for instance, where part of the episode follows Kryten and Hogey and the rest follows the rest of the crew trying to find them. Or a competition on an entertainment ship with Crystal Maze-esque stuff (be a great excuse to try and recreate some of the sets from Crystal Maze - those things were amazing!) that someone else mentioned.

Hogey seems immediately like a Wile E Coyote character - he comes along to try and challenge to crew, with hugely elaborate plans which always fail or backfire. He just mustn't turn up all the time (once or twice per series, and sometimes not at all) and he must also not simply be constantly challenging the crew - otherwise his episodes will just be seen as "Hogey episodes", where Hogey turns up and challenges the crew to a duel across time and space. It'd get boring and predictable.

15. Freeborn

Ah, no that's fine. My tired and weary [at the time] mind just wanted to double check is all. And thanks again. :-)

16. thubay1

thubay1 Guest

Reference more :
    http://adf.ly/2038788/http://www.storingbooks.com

17. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I...thought Hogie wasn't that special. Bit lame with his catchphrase and daft accent.

The only character I want back is Holly.

18. MisterBuch

MisterBuch Second Technician

I'm pretty sure he was going for Mexican / generic South American. s always there is a fine line between offensiveness and ribbing when it comes to national stereotypes and funny voices. To me Taiwan Tony went a little too far, and Hogey didn't. It all depends what the viewer percieves as cruel or small-minded... I think you'd have to be pretty sensitive to be annoyed by Hogey.

As for his return - I'd love to see that. I think the guy has enough potential for another show, no doubt. But not as a regular, I hope. I don't think Red Dwarf is suited to regular guest-actors. Series VIII proved that, with Hollister, Ackerman, Kill Crazy and Baxter... all of whom I loathed. Red Dwarf has always been about the crew doing something, encountering someone, or learning something over the space of half an hour, and then moving on to do something else. It's better that way. Makes the characters they meet and things they do more precious. Hogey though - he really didn't get much time. I'd like to see him return... but just for one more show. Preferably involving that map!

19. Freeborn

*Contains mild Spoilers related to the ep featuring Hogey*

I wonder if Series XI will continue on from the last scene of Series X? It's a rarity for Red Dwarf, I know, but it was done with Series 8 so it's possible it could be done again.

Anyway, if so then we will almost definitely see Hogey in the first episode, as the last we saw of him he was still blocking up that hole in the ship, of which the Dwarfers were on their way back to. Could be interesting to use that as a gateway into another adventure featuring Hogey. :-)

Although on the other hand perhaps that would be a bit of risk - bringing him back right away, I mean.

EDIT: Oops, Correction; They're back on the ship and Hogey is there with them, and has seemingly managed to free himself from the hole. I forgot to watch 'till the end credits on my second viewing. D'oh! :roll:

20. nealos1

nealos1 Third Technician

Hell Noooo
    Give the denti bot another episode too.
    The Cat has never had a Cat episode but lets give hogie one Arghh!!!

Can't really say no without an explanation but I just hate slapstick un threatening encounters (can't say aliens because all lifeforms encountered in Red Dwarf come from earth - did you all know that?) in Red Dwarf.

Bring back proper simulants like in Gunmen of the appocolypse and have them wipe out the slapstick faulty ones.
    I have ideas