Hollister and the rest of the crew

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Nicko1, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

How would people feel if Hollister or some of the non-regulars were to appear again in Series X? And how do people now feel bringing everybody back worked in VIII?

I was watching Cassandra again the other day and it struck me how this is arguably the only episode of that series that could have been made, without too huge a rewrite, with just the main cast members. And also that that would have meant losing the, 'You are the sunshine of my life...' section which is cringeworthy. As I consider Cassandra to be by far the best episode of that period, it seems a shame that the show strayed from the 5 or 6 main people.

2. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

There's definitely a loose end with the crew's fate. I liked having the rest of the crew on board and would happily see some pass through in some future episode.

I thought the 'Sunshine of My Life' bit was a good enough gag, although like most of the better gags in that series, it was stretched too far.

3. ourrrob

ourrrob Second Technician

I just want three idiots and their manservants getting in a jam. Everything else is poppycock!

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I think Doug has made some bad decisions since Rob Grant left, and resurrecting the crew was the worst one he made. I still don't understand his thinking behind that, and I really can't think of a worse idea than bringing back anyone from that series for series 10.
    I've always disliked Cassandra. It's my least favourite episode of my least favourite series, but I'm really going to have to get round to giving it another viewing soon. I've often heard that people consider it to be series 8's best episode as it apparently feels like the Red Dwarf of old, which is something I've never noticed, and it'll be interesting to see if I agree. For me, the only part that gave me that feeling was this Rimmer moment:

"A man, sir, yes, of course, sir, a man... a man."

It's only a brief moment (And you have to observe Barrie's excellent delivery for it to make sense), but it really feels to me like the Rimmer of series 1 to 6.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i always guessed doug was hyped about the movie and most likely knew he was gonna do a reboot for the movie which would mean all the crew would be back and he just wanted to test the waters with series 8

doug seemed to do that alot with 7 and 8, like with the orcastric music for series 7, and extended episodes, and no audiance for series 7 and silly eye candy like cgi rats,dino's and dancing blue midgets

but i agree he has made quite a few bad decisions, but hopefully the new series wont be a movie test out

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I Like the idea that Lister and Kochanski are the last humans alive*, but I'd like to know what happened to the rest of the crew. Katerina states that Lister is the last human alive in BtE suggesting this is her reason for creating a dimension cutter to find him a girlfriend. I understand being the last human isn't the only motivation for doing this, but I'm curious that she (and therefore they- considering the twist) made that statement, in light of series VIII. Did she say this because the rest of the crew are known to be dead, or do they just assume this since they haven't caught up with them yet?

I'd like these questions to be answered but I hope to keep to the main craft, although I wouldn't mind if some of the crew returned as guest characters for an episode. I hope by the end of the episode Lister is confirmed as the last man alive (at least until the very last Dwarf episode ever.).

*I'm not saying I want Kochanski as a major character in this series, but I hope she is 'out there' alive, a target for the overall series story arc.

7. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I agree with this, it could make for a very dark episode similar to Justice or the Inquisitor...maybe have Ackerman as having done something really appalling that has killed off the rest of the crew and then have some sort of Rimmer dynamic where there is a contrast between a man who wiped out the crew by accident and a maniac who did it on purpose!

8. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Interestingly, in his interview on this site with Talkie Toaster, it's implied that the events of 'Justice' are the result of Ackerman's sexual indiscretions.

9. Cruel Slayer

Ackerman cracked me up! If anyone comes back, I'd be chuffed if it were he.

10. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

There were some good characters left behind in Series VIII. But I think I'd rather see what fate has befallen the rest of the Cat race....the ones who flew away knowing they were righteous....

11. Cruel Slayer

Thing is, it takes only one well written episode to give us an insight into the cat folk's fate. I don't want a series bound up in that kind of thing. So that still leaves five episodes to deal with other loose ends.

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I wouldn't. Surely his performance was way too over-the-top to fit into any series other than 8?

Unless it takes on the pantomime-esque quality of series 8 I think he would devalue series 10 by being in it.

13. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Although it would be nice to have some degree of closure on the loose ends, I hope we don't wind up with a sort of six episodes tying up six loose ends. Hopefully it'll be something new and fresh that comes to the table to make up the majority of the new episodes, rather than allusions to the past and hanging threads. It's been thirteen years since the last series, so I say it's better to move on than risk getting bogged down by looking back too much.

14. Cruel Slayer

I agree, except to say that from 'Waiting for God' onwards, the Cat's heritage has been essentially ignored, which would seem to be a lot of missed opportunities considering he's been a regular cast member through nine(ish) series. But no, I wouldn't want to see anything that didn't contain its own brand spanking ideas.

15. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I do think we'll find out what happened to the crew from series VIII. Maybe they'll come across a survivor or maybe the remains of some of them. However it's done, I'm pretty sure we'll get all the answers we'll ever get to the ending of series VIII.

As for the Cat's heritage being ignored. Yes. You are right. I've been wondering since I first bought the series I VHS what happened to them all. They must still be out there somewhere!

16. bedfordfalls

While I agree that Ackerman's high camp would only fit in series 8's pantomime nature, most people, myself included, are suggesting a darker return for a character who, let's face it, is really quite horrible! There's a possibility that such a darkly murderous return for the character might tarnish his comedic performance when one comes to re-watch season eight...but who the hell wants to rewatch season 8* anyway?

* Just kidding season eight fans....you're both welcome to your opinion**.

** Just kidding season eight fans! :P

17. Cruel Slayer

Exactly! Camp can work well in a psychopathic villain, if it's well played.

Even as one of those two fans, I chuckled!:lol:

18. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Ah the 'controversy' of series 8 among the hardcore fans. In the context of the overall series' so far, i think it's a good series, and actually quite liked the return of the characters, especially Hollister, though i'm looking forward to having the boys from the Dwarf back in old lonesome territory again.

I wouldn't mind a few flash backs to Captain Hollister, and actually find the above mentioned Ackerman idea quite interesting. Though it's not something i would've considered myself, but certainly an interesting idea.

I do want Skutters though darn it. Oh and bird man....just kidding about the latter ;-)

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Hollister's return is about my favourite aspect of series 8. It was nice to see the return of Chen and Selby too, even though they looked about five stone heavier than the last time we saw them. It's a pity that they appeared only in one scene in the whole series.

20. bedfordfalls

I liked the return of Hollister until his character was turned into a malicious, spiteful, ungrateful bully who was actually a donut boy who had nothing better to do than supervise basketball games in the secret prison ship. I like him as an authority figure but his character descended into the kind of pantomime that epitomised season eight for me.

Mac Macdonald seems massively popular with Doug though, did I read somewhere on here that he was initially planned for BTE if the budget had allowed?