Hollister and the rest of the crew

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Nicko1, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

I do think that the very 'big' nature of all of the characters in Series VIII means that it would be best if none reappeared. Doug's intention may have been to set things up for the movie as others have suggested, but all of the characters were such caricatures that they actually had me dreading that they would be seen again rather than anticipating a film.

I know some have said that Series VIII was 'The Chuckle Brothers in space' but I think that's a little unfair. It reminds me more of Not Going Out in that plot and characterization were sacrificed in favour of jokes. I don't think crowbarring the main characters into that kind of show worked though and I think that if Doug had tried to do that kind of broad comedy in something other than Dwarf that it might have been more successful.

2. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

I would like to see Captain Hollister back in a small role at some point in an episode but not as a full time character or in that series VIII pantomime role. One character I would rather never see again is Ackerman, lots of people seem to have liked him but come character was awful.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

You know, I was thinking earlier about how much I hate that whole 'Dennis the donut boy' business. Doug says in the series 8 DVD documentary that it was a way of explaining why Hollister was the captain of the ship despite not looking credible. But for me Mac Maconald has always been 100% credible as the captain, and including that 'donut boy' nonsense was just another of Doug's bad decisions.

Incidently, it's interesting to note that unlike many of series 1's other minor characters (Kochanski, Petersen, Chen, Selby, George MacIntyre) Hollister doesn't exist in the novels.

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

His name is kind of interesting too...given that its an amalgamation of the names of two of the main characters..I wonder if there is a captain Catimmer out there somewhere... :shock:

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

As a gag, I didn't mind it, but overall (from a continuity point of view) I wasn't too sure of it either. Of course with the alternate joined version of Back in the Red, we can ignore it since it's cut out.

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

So it is! I never noticed that!

7. ben996

ben996 First Technician

if they want the magic of the old episodes then don't have hollister and the rest of the crew,
    i do want to know what happened to them though

8. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Agreed, it was certainly a highlight for me too, and a shame it was just a minor cameo. Their weight doesn't concern me though, as it's not as if it effects the characters in any sense. And i'd personally be happy to see a few series one/two style flash backs of them in the new series.

9. Freeborn

I think you're right, i'm fairly certain i read that here too.

It's a fair point regarding the whole "Donut boy" thing. I blow hot and cold with that to be honest. On the one hand i liked it for the laugh,( although i'm not sure it's the wisest or nicest of jokes to make), but over all, as a fan, i must admit i was a little disappointed in that respect.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

11. Freeborn

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

im guessing the "not looking credible" thing was more doug explaining why he wrote hollister so silly in series 8

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

14. Freeborn

15. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

As series regulars, I'd rather not see them but that Ackerman idea and flashbacks are the type of thing I could get into.

Until shown otherwise - and I would like to know what's happened to them - I'm assuming that the crew has been fired off in different directions and having series VI/VII-style Battlestar Galactica adventures on their own.

How old was Birdman..? :shock:

16. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

No keep them away, A brief mention on what happened to them all will do. I don't want to see them though. No Crew, no Kochanski and this series might be great.

17. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Just write them off with another accident - when they abandoned Red Dwarf they accidentally flew into a star or something. Or landed on a planet and got killed by a volcano or something.

The inmates in the brig could have just been accidentally dumped out of an airlock. It's the thing Rimmer would do.

In fact, I remember one story where Ace Rimmer returns to Red Dwarf and sends Kill Crazy off to be the new Ace.

18. ben996

ben996 First Technician

in the first episode do what it did in season 3 and explain what happened,
    holister and the crew flew into a sun and died, the inmates all went out of an air lock by accident, what happened to lister, rimmer and holly

19. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

....and don't forget the all important question, what the hell happened to Rimmer's hairline? :-)

20. DespairSquid8

DespairSquid8 Second Technician

What I've seen a few times is writers using tools... such as....
    I know let's bring back the whole crew of Red Dwarf, that way
    we can see which characters/situations/locations work

It's kinda cheap... like I've never watched any "The making of"
    because who wants to know about the writers process etc

You have to look back at the original premise, which was just a few characters
    left stranded after an incident.

This left the characters room to be reflective,
    whereas having the whole crew back the characters become reactionary.

Having too many characters also takes time away from individuals
    & we miss out on following their complete neurosis/ erm... I mean
    Thought process! :P