Holly in XIII???

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Asclepius, May 17, 2018.

1. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

OK, we're discussing this in many threads now and I think it deserves it's own thread.

The story so far...
    Norman Lovett told fans in Salisbury he will be in every episode of Red Dwarf XIII. Later, he said it could happen, but it's not confirmed yet.

Do you think he will return to Red Dwarf as main star?
    I hope so.
    If Norman was Holly, is there any chance we will see Hattie Hayridge in Red Dwarf?
    I think she really deserves it. She hadn't been in the show since 1992. Maybe Norman will be permanent Holly and Hattie will guest star in one episode as Hilly.
    Maybe Hattie is returning and Norman is smegged off, so he keeps saying it will be him.
    Is Holly going to get proper re-introducing episode?
    I hope so.

I know this looks like interview with myself, but I want or opinions on this.
    I know it isn't confirmed and we're basically discussing rumours, but if it was true (please!), all the media would start big hype. Then we could just say: "Look, we were discussing this ages before you."

2. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I wouldn't mind if Holly was glitched out and changed between the pair of them. I liked both Hattie and Norman.

The Cat and Eddiebadassdavis like this.
  3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

Do you think he will return to Red Dwarf as main star?
    At this point it's probably still too early to say. Personally though I'm pretty indifferent to the idea of a return of Holly, the character's been absent for over 25 years now apart from a mostly forgettable minor role in VIII and around half of Red Dwarf in total. If it's done well though, then fine.
    If Norman was Holly, is there any chance we will see Hattie Hayridge in Red Dwarf?
    I'd be just as fine with Hattie Hayridge coming back as Norman Lovett, if anything I think she's probably more deserving of a return than Lovett. If Lovett ends up not coming back for XIII, based on his tantrum over being dropped for BtE I'd anticipate a full-blown Twitter meltdown.
    Is Holly going to get proper re-introducing episode?
    Beyond a bit of exposition as to how Holly's been repaired, would one be really necessary?

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  4. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

Which Character is Holly again? Is he the one that Barry is jealous of when having the mid life crisis and he is really good and he is jealous then the gelfs take him to make some potion or something.

Asclepius, Abe and Nikki the Great like this.
  5. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Ah, yes, that's what her character was called. I'd forgotten.

Asclepius and Simonr1978 like this.
  6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

Well to be fair, that was kind of what happened in Series III. Sort of. It's not like I'm clutching at straws because I didn't word that especially well, honest...

7. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

Alan Partridge should play Norman Lovett in the next series. Maybe even have Brian Ross return to play Barry

Pembers and Abe like this.
  8. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Supply Officer

I miss Hattie
    I swear there is some sexism or some bullying

9. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

or some she doesn't really want to be in anymore

10. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

WUT?!

11. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Supply Officer

i know mate

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I am almost certain Hattie would come back if she was asked... i just don't think she has ever been asked and since she hasn't been involved with the show since 1992 (excluding beat the geek in 2007) she probably isn't expecting a phone call from Doug anytime soon.

I feel like Skipper would have been a good opportunity to use Hattie for a cameo, in one of the parallel universes like the Mr Rats one but Doug only really seemed to be thinking about Norman and Mac.

I also don't think Norman would ever want to share the role with Hattie either.

The Cat, FeeBee and Asclepius like this.
  13. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

That would have been a lot of money to get Hattie out there for almost nothing.

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

About the same as getting Mac McDonald really as he might have been on screen for under a minute.

Unless they couldn't afford Norman, Mac and Hattie

15. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Yes, I think Hattie would absolutely accept the role. She is still going to conventions and it looks like she wants to be in possible new Dwarf.
    In some interview last year, they asked Doug, if Hattie might return as Holly in series 13. He said: "Absolutely."

And yes, Norman's head would blow, if he had to share the role with somebody else.

The Cat likes this.
  16. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I don’t mind really either way as to whether Norman came back permanently as Holly. But Holly has been absent now for such a long time that is he/her really needed in new Red Dwarf ie would the computer character just slow down the plot too much and take up too much time for the progression of the story? Still Pree did feature well as a computer character in series 10 - though admittedly she was obviously a main plot in the story - so perhaps that could be a good sign that Holly would be welcome back as a character as long as the lines were of a similar quality to Norman’s cameo in Skipper! I’m very undecided really so overall as long as Holly’s part was fun, funny and didn’t affect the quality of the plotting I would be happy with Norman returning overall.

17. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

It would surely change the show's concept, but I wouldn't mind it. Red Dwarf needs some progress and change. I'm not sure, if Holly in every episode would work and if Doug would manage the writing of the new concept, but it would be deffinitely interesting.

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I wasn't a huge fan of the last 3 series for several reasons, one being the stories got abit messy, so the idea of bringing holly into the mix, especially Norman i could see just adding more extra mess for Doug to feel he needs to squeeze screen time for while telling the several plotted stories he likes to tell.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  19. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

It would be interesting to see how it could work, since we've never really had Kryten and Holly on as both truly main characters - surely we can all agree that Hattie's Holly was hardly a main character in III-V, and that in VIII, neither Holly nor Kryten got a ton of screen time.

Asclepius likes this.
  20. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Absolutely. Also, this would be new structure of the cast. Chris + Craig + Danny + Robert + Norman. They hasn't been in RD in this structure. (Yes, they were in VIII, but it was + Kochanski + entire crew.)